How to keep my beam from moving in rail frame clamps?

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

How to keep my beam from moving in rail frame clamps?

Postby wildwestrider » 07 Mon Feb, 2011 8:46 am

It looks like my front axle beam is moving back and forth in the frame to axle/beam clamps on my sand rail. I considering wrapping bicycle or motorcycle inner tube around the beam at the clamping locations. Any other suggestions?

Brian in Cedar Park
wildwestrider
Buggy Driver

Re: How to keep my beam from moving in rail frame clamps?

Postby BrianB » 07 Mon Feb, 2011 1:04 pm

Tack weld just on the outside edge of both clamps. You should also look to see what your real problem is. Maybe you need new clamps. Five bucks from Steve-O on the Aircoolers site I would imagine.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby wildwestrider » 07 Mon Feb, 2011 1:31 pm

BrianB wrote:Tack weld just on the outside edge of both clamps. You should also look to see what your real problem is. Maybe you need new clamps. Five bucks from Steve-O on the Aircoolers site I would imagine.

I just ordered some parts from Steve 30 minutes ago. I'll ask him. They were welded by previous owner (s)....The clamps broke free of the weld....,.....but doesnt look like there was any penetration of the weld into the clamps.....
wildwestrider
Buggy Driver

Postby txdunebuggy101 » 01 Tue Mar, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm no vw genius, or just genius for that matter,but i agree with brianB, you need to figure out the root cause of your problem. If you off road a lot, maybe it broke loose. If its a street rail, u definitly got a problem. Weak or mis-shaped clamps? Bolts worked a little loose? Frame twisted a lil maybe? I would play CSI cause i would want to be sure a new $5 clamp shell is Gonna keep me on the straight and narrow. JMO and good luck.
Just thought about my rail and wondered if i would run into that problem. What about welding a small tab next to frame half of clamp. Drill a hole and weld a nut. Center the beam, clamp it, then dimple the beam through the nut with slightly smaller drill bit. Install set scew with loc-tite and forget about it.... like a locating pin?
I never knew I know so little till now...
JimmyP
txdunebuggy101
Buggy Builder

Postby Bryan Porter » 02 Wed Mar, 2011 9:41 am

I have owned a bunch of rails and even raced off road and never had this problem just tighten the heck out of them.
You may have a problem maybe the wrong size clamp or some thing like that.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby wildwestrider » 09 Wed Mar, 2011 3:38 pm

Bryan Porter wrote:I have owned a bunch of rails and even raced off road and never had this problem just tighten the heck out of them.
You may have a problem maybe the wrong size clamp or some thing like that.

I pulled the clamps,...cleaned and painted them, got new nuts, bolts, washers, and wrapped a single layer of auto inner tube around them,..and tightened the heck out of them. Seems rock solid now.
wildwestrider
Buggy Driver

Postby Bryan Porter » 10 Thu Mar, 2011 3:34 pm

loose the rubber just bolt it steel on steel.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby txdunebuggy101 » 10 Thu Mar, 2011 3:43 pm

X2. ... rubber will fall apart after time and at the worst possible moment. Steel on steel only.... safer IMO
I never knew I know so little till now...
JimmyP
txdunebuggy101
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk