where to install grease fittings on sand rail front end-pic

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

where to install grease fittings on sand rail front end-pic

Postby wildwestrider » 01 Tue Feb, 2011 9:32 pm

Any of you sand rail owners have these frame to Axle beam clamps that cover the original grease fitting location? If you do, where did you install your grease fittings?

Prior owner or builder of this rail welded up the grease fitting holes under the clamps. Im replacing the torsion arms with new (to me) torsion arms with new ball joints and new seals at the ends of the torsion tubes. I want to install some new grease fittings and trying to decide on the best location......not many choices actually because of all the space that the clamps take up.

Picture removed by admin

Brian in Cedar Park
wildwestrider
Buggy Driver

Re: where to install grease fittings on sand rail front end-

Postby BrianB » 02 Wed Feb, 2011 6:28 am

I wouldnt worry too much about it. Put it between the clamp and the shock tower on both tubes. It is a Rail after all and the prior owner obviously did not grease it so any damage is already done. Personally I would even bother spending the time to put them back in.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 02 Wed Feb, 2011 6:32 am

You could put in in the same location if you must by drilling an oversize hole in the clamp. That way when you put the clamp back on the grease zerk sticks out from there.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 02 Wed Feb, 2011 11:08 pm

Hey guys and gals, when I clicked on Brian's front beam photo my computer went crazy cleaning up malware.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby wildwestrider » 07 Mon Feb, 2011 8:30 am

Bill K wrote:Hey guys and gals, when I clicked on Brian's front beam photo my computer went crazy cleaning up malware.

Bill, you sure that wasn't one of those fake Malware pages that self launches....and is designed to look like a windows page. I run C- Cleaner, AVG Virus Scan, and Malwarebytes fairly regularly (The virus scan is on full time of course)

Brian
Last edited by wildwestrider on 07 Mon Feb, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildwestrider
Buggy Driver

Postby wildwestrider » 07 Mon Feb, 2011 8:35 am

Bill K wrote:Hey guys and gals, when I clicked on Brian's front beam photo my computer went crazy cleaning up malware.

Can anyone confirm is there really was malware somehow attached to my pic?? I used Image shack to resize the pic. I've used it for years and never had an issue. Wondering if Bill had an issue on his computer?

Comments?

Brian
wildwestrider
Buggy Driver

Postby wildwestrider » 07 Mon Feb, 2011 8:40 am

BrianB wrote:You could put in in the same location if you must by drilling an oversize hole in the clamp. That way when you put the clamp back on the grease zerk sticks out from there.

Thats a great idea,....but I dont get notified when someone reponds to my posts here,....so I didnt see this until this morning and they are already installed between the towers and the clamps.

Brian
wildwestrider
Buggy Driver

Postby Bill K » 07 Mon Feb, 2011 8:49 am

Brian, it may well have been some auto-malware thing such as you describe. I just wanted to err on the side of caution. Hopefully, it's not a problem.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby wildwestrider » 07 Mon Feb, 2011 8:53 am

Bill K wrote:Brian, it may well have been some auto-malware thing such as you describe. I just wanted to err on the side of caution. Hopefully, it's not a problem.

No problem,.....grease fittings are already installed.
wildwestrider
Buggy Driver

Return to Technical Talk