Chassis cleaning

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Chassis cleaning

Postby KIM-P » 29 Wed Dec, 2010 7:28 pm

Got my buggy apart and need some ideas or sugestions on how to clean the chassis. My HOA is very picky so I have to be earth freindlier and they dont like us to work on our stuff out doors.I'm thinking media blasting might be the way to go for me. I do have a pressure washer. I also thought about paint striper and degreaser at a car wash.
How did yall do it?
It's EASY.... if you know how.
KIM-P
Buggy Nut

Re: Chassis cleaning

Postby ckolek » 30 Thu Dec, 2010 10:50 am

sand blasted one of my pans, and used a angle grinder and wire wheel for the other both worked well, although sand blasting was much more easy and faster.
ckolek
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 30 Thu Dec, 2010 9:42 pm

Easy Off oven cleaner and a strong blast of water is a pretty good cleaner and paint remover. It works best on a warm day, and if combined with a pressure washer it should work great.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 31 Fri Dec, 2010 2:42 pm

Check the yellow pages for sand blasters. My friend Tom got his chassis blasted for about 75 bucks. Dropped it off around 8am and picked it up after lunch. Best 75 he ever spent!!!! Made a believer out of me. Tom's labor???? putting the chassis on the trailer. :lol: :lol:
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby KIM-P » 31 Fri Dec, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm warming up to the blasting idea. I'm cheap, but as time goes by I'm geting lazier or smarter, not sure which. And this way I want have clean up the mess afterwards.
KIM-P
Buggy Nut

Postby Don » 31 Fri Dec, 2010 7:29 pm

Call around a lot if you go the sandblasting route. Their price is very dependant on how much work they have at the moment. There was a guy advertising on Craigslist a while back and a friend of mine got some farm equipment blasted for $50. When I was looking around I was getting quotes around $200.
1967 Dune Buggy - aka Shrek
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 31 Fri Dec, 2010 9:10 pm

If you can get me the bare chassis with no beam,trans or anything on it I can get it done cheap. Let me know.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby KIM-P » 03 Mon Jan, 2011 9:29 pm

OK, so I got my chassis back from the blaster to day and the pan halfes are in need of repair. What gauge sheet metal should I use for the repair? And what size tubing and how do I bend it for the outer rails.

I am seriously thinking of calling this buggy "domino" (as in domino effect) cause everything I do leads to another repair. It all started because the fuel tank was rusted on the inside,and the body had huge holes in the rear for tail lights that didnt work.
KIM-P
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 04 Tue Jan, 2011 7:16 am

Y'all got me all curious now, so what did it cost you for the blasting?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby KIM-P » 04 Tue Jan, 2011 5:26 pm

Just $75. I had quotes as high as $300. Admittedly sand blasting is harsh, but my pan was showing its age. And the person who welded the chassis originaly did not have a mig welder. Looks more like a combonation of AC cracker box and oxy/acet with a coat hanger. Anyway I found all the thin spots I had suspected would be there and a couple more.
KIM-P
Buggy Nut

Postby MURZ » 04 Tue Jan, 2011 9:44 pm

Kim I used 1x2 box tubing for the outer rails. For the "bend" I did a pie cut and welded it together. For metal thickness 14-16 gauge will do, add straps for seat mounting. Add a 1/8 x1 flat bar to the bottom edge of the outer rail to facilitate a shelf for the floor.

Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby KIM-P » 07 Fri Jan, 2011 8:38 pm

Wow, that looks good. How did you attatch the piping / edging to the carpet? The wife likes the carpet so that will be going in too.
Unfortionatly I had already cut the new pan half up to fit when I saw your pan, maybe next time.
Anyway thanks for all the info. My goal is to have it back on the road this summer.
KIM-P
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk