Best way to remove the Stock Seat rails from Floor pans?

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Best way to remove the Stock Seat rails from Floor pans?

Postby Patrick » 06 Mon Feb, 2006 9:00 pm

What's the best way to remove the Stock Seat rails from the floor pans without messing everything up? We want to put in some other kind of seats in the Manxter...
Patrick
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 06 Mon Feb, 2006 9:37 pm

If you take the seat rail portions of the frame and clean them with a wire brush, you will be able to see where the spot welds are. Take a small drill bit and take out the section of the rail where the spot is and you should be able to "pop" the rails off!
If you are afraid of drilling through the pan, you can use the same identifying marks to know where to grind the top of the rails off so that the spot welds don't have anything to hold on to.
Take the body off first, if you have it on there, so you will have more room to work!
Oh, all of the spot welds are on the outside, unles the pan is from a 73 or newer beetle! Hope this helps!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 06 Mon Feb, 2006 10:01 pm

I drilled my out through the pan. Then I went back and patched the holes with JB Weld. Worked out just fine.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 07 Tue Feb, 2006 1:25 pm

I just cut mine so the were flush with the pan
I guess im just lazy LOL
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Buggy1 » 07 Tue Feb, 2006 4:19 pm

They make drill bits for cutting spot welds. clean down to the bare metal and then you can see the spot weld. You then use these bits which cut the spot wled but do not go through the metal, I have done it many times.

Neal 8-)
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Spot welds

Postby Patrick » 01 Sat Apr, 2006 2:24 am

Okay I tried the Spot weld thing. Well I should say my wife worked on that part. Yes she likes to work on the buggy too. Anyway, I was working on the painting of pieces for the Manxter that day. Anyway after drilling the spot welds. Now we have nice little holes every where and the dang seat rails won't come off.

I think the next step will be cutting them off and grinding the rest of it down. Any other suggestions.
Patrick
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk