IRS Bus 6-rib Transaxle

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

IRS Bus 6-rib Transaxle

Postby Ken » 14 Tue Sep, 2010 6:14 am

What do I need to be looking for?

I am looking for more low end torque. I have a stock 1600DP with a 2 barrel weber progressive. But my large diameter rear wheels has eaten up my low end. So if I was to start looking for a 6 rib bus transaxle to try out, what should I be looking for and asking before I hand over some money?

Or should I just spend the money on a rebuilt (for my setup) drop in type 1 replacement?

Thanks for any advise.

Ken
Ken
Site Admin

Re: IRS Bus 6-rib Transaxle

Postby Aquabuggy » 14 Tue Sep, 2010 5:17 pm

Ken, Too start you will need a bus to bug trans mount there are several different styles. I use the cheap one and it should be fine in your rail, the biggest difference is the shifter input shaft is a couple inches higher on the bus trans. Also a bus trans is a little wider then a type 1 about an 1 inch drive flange to flange so your current axles maybe a bit long in addition you'll need to run at the very least type 2 CV's on the trans side. the type 2 CV's are wider then type 1 and you will not be able to get the CV retaining clips on the axles unless you have the shoulder on the axle machined down or you could use VW Thing axles ( I may have a set )

:? :? (thinking) Oh yeah if you use a 3 or 5 rib your type 1 engine should bolt rite up (OK not sure about all the 5 ribs but the one I'm using in Chrissy's rail will bolt rite up) with a 6 rib trans you will need to ether swap to a 3 rib bell housing and input shaft or cut about 1/2 inch off the input shaft and run a bus 6 rib starter.

This sounds like a big pain, but it's really not all that bad, or you could always get David Crow to build ya a nice type 1 (I think he's in your neck of the woods and does great work)
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 14 Tue Sep, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi Chris, thanks or all the details.

Yeah, we talked about David Crow before. I guess I was hoping a 6 rib was more of a drop in replacement and a little cheaper then having a custom built. I see them come up on craigslist from time to time. I was thinking, just grab one and drop it in and see if I like the change.

I guess I should just live with what I have or call Crow and talk to him about a slightly custom. I guess I just needed reminding that was the best thing to do. Thanks.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Aquabuggy » 14 Tue Sep, 2010 8:43 pm

I wasn't trying to discourage you, a 3, 5 or 6 rib would be a nice upgrade for Crazy Alice.

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 15 Wed Sep, 2010 5:07 am

You didn't discourage me at all, you helped me understand the 6 rib is not a simple as I thought it might be. And you reminded me of our conversation about Crow.

When you say 3 and 5 are these bus transaxles also? What do these get me?
Last edited by Ken on 15 Wed Sep, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Texasbuggys » 15 Wed Sep, 2010 7:20 am

Chris is right on, any of them will make a difference. You motor runs great so that surely is not the area to improve, the tranny will wake her up and make the hills so much more exciting and less shifting for ya and I know your fit as a fiddle and sure don't need to over work your terminator legs! LOL You will really be glad ya made the swap.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 15 Wed Sep, 2010 4:53 pm

Ken wrote:
When you say 3 and 5 are these bus transaxles also? What do these get me?

There all bus transaxles the 3 rib came in 68 to 74 buses and has the lowest gears 5.38 r&p, the 5 rib was in 75 buses and has 4.86 r&p and the 6 rib 76 to 79 and has 4.56

Stay away from the 68 trans it's a little different and hard to find parts for.
Also VW used 6 rib transaxles into the 80's and maybe early 90's but these have the shift input shaft on the side, so be sure ya check to see if it's a noise or side shift.

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 16 Thu Sep, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks guys. Its nice to have this info in a place I can recall it, I guess I need to figure out what I have now, before doing anything. Porter told me once before, but I don't recall. He identified it by the differences in the two side plates, or something like that?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bryan Porter » 17 Fri Sep, 2010 8:09 am

I told you once and I won't tell you again if you don't remember I cannot help you as I cannot remember myself.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 17 Fri Sep, 2010 9:54 am

Bryan Porter wrote:I told you once and I won't tell you again if you don't remember I cannot help you as I cannot remember myself.

Your such an old dog Mr Porter... Will you tell me if I give you a treat... Would you tell Delia if she asked?

What was it about the side plates that told you what gearing (R&P) I most likely had, was it something about the bolt pattern?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Aquabuggy » 17 Fri Sep, 2010 11:50 am

Not really up on type 1 trans but I'm thinking single side plate is the later model and 3.88 r&p and the dual side plate earlier model is 4.12

But that could be all wrong. Mr.Porter ??

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 17 Fri Sep, 2010 12:56 pm

Your right one side cover on each side of trans 4.12 side cover only on one side 3.87
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Joe » 18 Sat Sep, 2010 2:50 pm

Ken
I may knok of a bus for sell not to much.
Joe
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk