Home Made Side Pods

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Home Made Side Pods

Postby Faron » 27 Fri Jan, 2006 1:06 pm

I started work on the home made side pods this week. I have used about 12 cans of "Great Stuff" and I still need to buy 2 more. When I started, I thought it would only take 4 to 6 cans of the stuff. Ohh no I am 14 cans into to it at this point. :shock: Ohh well I am guessing it will only take about 2 or 3 more. If you see a problem please let me know! I sure hope this works after all the effort it will take. I will post Photos as I go along.
This is about 4 cans in!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 27 Fri Jan, 2006 5:20 pm

Why don't you go to hobby lobby or Michaels and get some styrofoam instead? Then make a hot knife and shape it before sanding. What happened to the fleece idea????
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

cost effective

Postby Texasbuggys » 27 Fri Jan, 2006 7:18 pm

Go to boat repair shop and ask for the chemicals, they should sell to you what you need for way way cheaper than can o foam, ya mix, pour and watch it grow, cut slice and pour!
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 27 Fri Jan, 2006 11:00 pm

Why don't you go to hobby lobby or Michaels and get some Styrofoam instead? Styrofoam will melt into a nasty goo, or so I am told.
What happened to the fleece idea? I figure that the way I have done it would be a little easier. I hope I am correct! Only time will tell.
Go to boat repair shop and ask for the chemicals, they should sell to you what you need for way way cheaper than can o foam, ya mix, pour and watch it grow, cut slice and pour! HaHaHa WOW I have been talking about this for how long....and you come up with this idea now. :lol: Gee!!! :lol: I have spent $85.00 on the spray on foam. (That's a lot less then I would of spent on the foam you are talking about right?) I just hope this idea works!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

can o foam

Postby Texasbuggys » 28 Sat Jan, 2006 11:20 am

That little bit was $85 worth? I would stop now and go find you a boat shop.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 28 Sat Jan, 2006 11:24 am

I'd stop now and find ole SPARKY and get some texas buggy's pods. Cut them, chop them, til they fit.
Madisonville La

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 28 Sat Jan, 2006 12:00 pm

Or, you could take some cardboad boxes and fill in most of the area with the empy boxes.....and put the foam on top of that.
If you fil the intire sode of the buggy body with that foam, though, you won't EVER have to worry about a car getting through the side!
In short, make something that is close to the pattern that you want and use the foam to just fill it in!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 28 Sat Jan, 2006 5:54 pm

I filled in the the area with the spray in foam, and yes what I have is $85.00 worth of spray in foam. I didnt want to use the premade side pods because I wanted to try to make my own. I like the fact it is now one solid piece.....BlaBlaBla Lets be honest if this is the only mistake that I make on this build, I will be LUCKY! At this point I am happy, I will get back to you when I am trying to shape them up.
This is a photo of one side, I know I will have a huge amount of waste. But I wanted to make sure that I have it built up enough to get the right shape. Time will tell!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 28 Sat Jan, 2006 10:15 pm

I admire your stick to it! Go for it, you won't have to worry about the strength of the sides of the car! Before you go to trimming the sides to the shape that you want, give them about to to three days to quit expanding! (From personal experience)
And, only as a helpful hint, do one side first and then figure out how far apart you want the measurements to be and make yourself templates of the side you like and set the templates up against the other side and it will show you where the high and the low spots are (kinda like marking a grid on one side). You know....l___l___l___l___l ...
I can't wait to see the design you come up with. And there is always the "I made those" aspect too!
The foam dries to hard status from the outside in and it takes a while for the inner core to get hard!
I hope this helps!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 29 Sun Jan, 2006 10:48 am

so far so good
if you pull this off you will be the next chip foose!
I like the way you are thinking outside the box.
I sure miss the 60s and 70s where folks would make there cars from scratch.
I watched corvet summer the other night. man I love that car.
too cool on the far out designe
keep up the good work and keep us posted on the progress
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

WAIT WAIT WAIT

Postby Faron » 29 Sun Jan, 2006 11:08 am

I sprayed it all in layers, OK I didn't want to buy to many cant so I only put on a can per side at a time. I would spray a can per side, let it dry over night. Then I would spray the next round. Its been killing me waiting to do this, I hope its worth it in the end. Your idea about working one side then the other is a great idea, that I will use. I had thought of it but you mentioning it only make me more sure its the right thing to do. :shock: 60's & 70's, :shock: am I one of the younger guys in the group at 35. :lol:
Faron
Buggyholic

original

Postby Texasbuggys » 29 Sun Jan, 2006 11:50 am

The thing about this way of doing it is you get the shape exactly how you want it to be, you can put in a body line or delete it if you choose. You are on to a great start. I agree with David, get one 100% where you want it and make you a scale graph paper template because getting the other even close takes a keen eye to make the appear the same, remember, nobody will be able to see them both at the same time once installed so if they are really close no one will even notice most likley. I am with
Steve O, the craftsman ship of homebuilt parts and cars seems to be slowly vanishing away. I commend you dedication to building them and can't wait to see them finished.

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 29 Sun Jan, 2006 12:41 pm

Remember, Bruce Meyers Himself started from scratch, and I'm sure the prototypes were not symmetrical, so feel free to explore uncharted design methods.. :lol:
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Starting to glass!

Postby Faron » 30 Mon Jan, 2006 9:10 pm

Well, I sanded and shaped one side. I put a half gallon of Fiberglass with hairs in it on after I finished. I will put the other half on tomorrow night. Then its sand sand sand. After that I will fill in the low spots with the Fiberglass putty.
Even if this works, I will still be no Foose. But I will prove I am crazy fearless, that or stupid. Have you ever seen Ed Roth's cars while they are in the process. Thank goodness I am not that messy, or my wife would kill me!
Check it out! :?
From the front! :?
Faron
Buggyholic

Re: WAIT WAIT WAIT

Postby bobaganoosh » 30 Mon Jan, 2006 10:48 pm

Faron wrote: :shock: 60's & 70's, :shock: am I one of the younger guys in the group at 35. :lol:

no way I got you beat, I'm 31

mike
It aint for show, but it sho will go.
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby MURZ » 31 Tue Jan, 2006 8:16 am

Looks good!!! Prime that puppy to SEE the real shape.
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 31 Tue Jan, 2006 12:19 pm

Bondo and fiber glass are the same stuff......if you need to put a smooth coat on the side, first thin the bondo with fiberglass resin, and put it on with a putty knife, with the catalist! When you get that done, it might help to put one even coat of fiber glass mat, not cloth, on the outside and seal it with fiber glass resin. It looks like you got the resin content a little thick compared to the amount of fibers, it you don't mix the coat to "hot" you would be able to get the air bubbles out and spread the mat to a real close finish size, not telling how to do it, but hoping that you avoid the mistakes I've made in the past! I hope that this helps!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 02 Thu Feb, 2006 10:47 am

this reminds me of the monster garage episode where jessi
mad the floating air boat beetle
HMM maybe we can test it out at the blast to see if she will float
blackthree4me

lookin good so far
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk