Hydraulic Pedals

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Hydraulic Pedals

Postby BrianB » 01 Fri Jan, 2010 12:14 pm

Ok this will be the next step in the build and was wondering what I need to do this upgrade. What type of pedal assembly is good but not expensive? Do I need any kind of adapters for the brake lines? Custom lengths? Fittings? Anyone up to helping with the install? What is the purpose of using a Morse cable?
I did a search here and did not come up with too much info.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 01 Fri Jan, 2010 1:28 pm

Lots of fab work Brian. I assume you will have to cut the Napolean hat and then fabricate a new support for the body. You will also lose some leg room (not sure if that is important to you or not).

I do not know of a set that is better for a buggy, whether it be CNC, Jamar, etc. Buy something you like, get the cutting wheels and welder out, and try to make it fit.

You probably don't see anything because it is a real pain to do....for really no benefit at all.

Regarding the Morse cable, if you switch out assemblies you can't use the stock throttle tube so you ned to run a new throttle line and support tube to make it work. More cutting, fabbing, and welding.

For adapters, I know that the CNC kit that is on my Avenger (it came with it and has been a PAIN to get to work) is 5/16 standard flare lines and CB Performance sells a 5/16" to 8mm (I think its 8mm) thread adapter. These adapters not only change the thread, but also go from the standard flare to the European bubble flare. They are about $5 each.

Very costly (probably $350-$400), lots of fabrication, lots of time, and very little reward.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 01 Fri Jan, 2010 1:58 pm

I agree with jspbtown, stay with the stock setup.
Using the late model master cylinder is the way to go, then your front and rear brakes are on two different circuits one goes out ya have half your brakes, to do this with the aftermarket stuff you looking at more like 500 to 600 hundred.

Now if you were building your buggy on a Hawkeye chassis the aftermarket would be the way to go, because of the design of the chassis the aftermarket setup is much easier to install then trying to fab up all the brackets and tubes needed for a stock vw setup..
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 01 Fri Jan, 2010 5:09 pm

I am using a Berrien Frame remember so the fab is there no matter what. Just going to Hydraulic for another reason that will be revealed later 8-) Do you have Hydraulic pedals on the Aqua Buggy?
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 01 Fri Jan, 2010 7:45 pm

BrianB wrote:I am using a Berrien Frame remember so the fab is there no matter what. Just going to Hydraulic for another reason that will be revealed later 8-) Do you have Hydraulic pedals on the Aqua Buggy?

Isn't the Berrien chassis setup to use the stock peddle assembly :? ?

No I used stock stuff on the aqua buggy.

Used CNC's setup on the orange buggy but like I was saying all 4 wheels operate off one master cylinder, not the safest way to go.

After running the hydraulics in the orange buggy I went back to the stock VW setup on my green buggy.
Just my preference but I like the stock stuff good ole clutch cable and the peace of mind of having separate front and rear brakes circuits.

Its your buggy so build the way you want it, ether way should work just fine.

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 04 Mon Jan, 2010 2:56 pm

I'm staying with the stock setup. I always plan 'worst case scenario', and I would have more peace of mind knowing if something goes wrong, it's a simple cable replacement instead of a hydraulic issue..

OH, does "Napolean hat" mean front firewall/bulkhead?
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 04 Mon Jan, 2010 4:22 pm

out of curiousity, how are right hand drive bugs done?

Same as left hand only reversed? Is gas pedal still on the right? clutch right, brake center?
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 04 Mon Jan, 2010 4:50 pm

CoryN wrote:out of curiousity, how are right hand drive bugs done?

Same as left hand only reversed? Is gas pedal still on the right? clutch right, brake center?

Yep same, only on the opposite side.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=757976Image

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 04 Mon Jan, 2010 7:58 pm

If I could find that pedal assembly for less than $100 I would go that way instead of Hydraulic. 8-)
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 05 Tue Jan, 2010 10:41 am

Come on Brian, That includes shipping. :-)
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 05 Tue Jan, 2010 5:20 pm

It's still less then Hydraulic is gonna cost ;-)

BTW Are you gonna deliver mail in your buggy?

A friend of mine had an old mail jeep we cut the top off, finished it out, painted it red, so it looked just like a normal jeep. Lots of fun in that old jeep but I never could get used to RHD, always walking to wrong side to get in.

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk