Metal Flakes

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Metal Flakes

Postby 74 Daily Driver » 22 Sun Jan, 2006 9:58 pm

Anyone know where I can buy metal flakes to put in my paint?
74 Daily Driver

Postby bobaganoosh » 22 Sun Jan, 2006 10:17 pm

any paint store should have it. dupont or english color etc.

mike
It aint for show, but it sho will go.
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby Buggy1 » 22 Wed Feb, 2006 12:54 pm

This is the way I am going to do mine...........when I get the new body and make style changes before painting.

This company has everything including videos on how to apply

http://www.innate.com/Paint/PAINTS.htm

Neal

I am going with monster flake! I plan on doing a story of the project when it gets done as many people want to go back to metal flake.
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby Faron » 11 Sun Jun, 2006 10:14 am

http://www.innate.com/Paint/PAINTS.htm

Color me stupid but I do not see prices on any of this! I am thinking about buying the metal flake gun. Anyone want to borrow it after I am finished with it?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 21 Mon Aug, 2006 8:58 am

A buddy of mine is going to use a 70's Bug for a funky sign over his Car Audio Shop in Austin, and he asked me to strip all the weight and give it a paint job. I am going to use it as a opportunity to learn how to do "Real Flames" I did go to Art School So I am pretty confident that I can get this done.
Things I am worried about is the fact that it will be on the top of a building, and I don't know about two issues. Aside from the motor, transaxle, and the interior. What else can I remove in order to make this a really light car. It has to look like it is a running car, but it will be on the roof of the building and you will not be able to look under it.
I am worried that I am going to put all the effort of painting it and the South Texas sun will eat the paint off in short time. Like I said before it will be on the roof of a building....so its not like people can go up and wash and wax it once a week. So, what can I do to help preserve the paint a little better? I know its just one of those things, and I can only do so much but....
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 21 Mon Aug, 2006 10:55 am

Can you post pics of the building? Some of the pics should include the roof, and some within the attic... some of these buildings by code alone can support a full buggy.... some A/C systems are twice and three times as heavy as a bug!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Yellermanx » 05 Thu Apr, 2007 6:14 am

I believe that this is where most flake comes from. A friend and I split 10 lbs. I think it was about $120 for all.

Flake experiment.
Yellermanx
Buggy Builder

Postby blackthree4me » 05 Thu Apr, 2007 12:10 pm

sweet!
the more the better!
want to realy light it up take it outside
that is when flake type jobs are there best: in the sun.
my favoret thing about flake jobs is the depth of the paint.
looks like you can reach into it.
nice keep us posted on the outcome.
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Yellermanx » 05 Thu Apr, 2007 1:46 pm

Sorry I forgot to post the link in the above post. :oops:

http://www.meadowbrookinventions.com/lo ... index.html

The above is Polyester Jewel 71P Brilliant Canadian Blue, .015 hex. I spoke to the guy on the phone and he said that the .015 hex gave the maximum "bling" and that they are what most bass boats use. Someday I will get around to putting some on the buggy.
Yellermanx
Buggy Builder

Postby mel hubbard » 25 Tue Sep, 2007 5:45 pm

Yellermanx wrote:Sorry I forgot to post the link in the above post. :oops:

http://www.meadowbrookinventions.com/lo ... index.html

The above is Polyester Jewel 71P Brilliant Canadian Blue, .015 hex. I spoke to the guy on the phone and he said that the .015 hex gave the maximum "bling" and that they are what most bass boats use. Someday I will get around to putting some on the buggy.

Hi Chuck, hope its the same Chuck I spoke to way back. How Goes It??? I see your still sparkling :D think I posted a how to spray that stuff way back on Meyers site,, was it for you???.

Took a while to track you down ol friend,, I aint too hot on these things you know ;-)
Hope all is well with you and your family, BEST REGARDS, Mel
mel hubbard

Return to Technical Talk