Paint,Paint,Paint

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Paint,Paint,Paint

Postby BrianB » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 5:05 pm

OK. Getting ready to paint soon????maybe,,, and was wondering on quantities to paint a buggy.
How much base coat should I purchase? How much clearcoat say for two or three layers? How much flake should I use? It will only have a sparse amount in the scheme. How much midcoat clear to carry the flake?.
Next question would be what type of paint is best for the fiberglass body? Urethane? Polyurethane? Emamel? Water colors :lol: :lol: Oil base house paint???? I'm sure I'll be asking the friend what I should buy but this is more Buggy related so I thought I would ask here. Thanks in advance 8-)
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 5:20 pm

I bought a 3/4 gallon of paint and a quart of activator and same for clear. I still have enough I could and probably will do it all over again.

I think I actually got a gallon of high build primer and a quart of activator.

I used metallic paint, so I can't offer any advise on the flake.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 11 Wed Nov, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks Cory. Did you paint it in your garage or did you have it done somewhere?
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 11 Wed Nov, 2009 10:23 am

I used the same paint as Cory (Kirker).

They sell it in 3/4 gal plus 1 qt activator for 1 sprayable gallon. I probably have 1 quart left, and I did the roll cage on mine.

I cleared mine with 1 gal of ultra clear. I used most of it with 3 very deep coats.

I also used 1 gal of Evercoat G2 primer and used every ounce.

I sprayed mine in my garage. I make a booth by hanging tarps from the ceiling. You can see them in one of the pics. I cut a hole for a box fan in a window and cover it with a furnace filter. I open a window on the opposite side of the garage for an inlet air source and put a furnace filter over that as well.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 11 Wed Nov, 2009 11:52 am

I sprayed mine in the driveway. I think I had one bug I had to deal with and it buffed out
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 11 Wed Nov, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks guy's. What type is best for the Fiberglass body? Urethane,Polyurethane??Acrylic enamel, Laquer?
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 11 Wed Nov, 2009 1:36 pm

I think a good urethane enamal is your best bet. It has some flexibility to help with the movement of the body.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 12 Thu Nov, 2009 7:19 am

Thanks Jeff. It appears that not many people on here have painted their own cars. I would have thought more people would have had some input for that question. Oh well I'll give it a shot and see what happens :lol:
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby ElijahTurtle » 12 Thu Nov, 2009 12:36 pm

I have an old 62 chevy that my dad I painted with urethane enamel back when I was in High School. We used the same enamel on the bass boat to match the truck.
It has held up really surprisingly well on the fibergalss boat for many years now even being beat to heck zooming through the lake. Especially for being sprayed by my dad who has limited painting experience.
ElijahTurtle
Buggy Nut

Paint!

Postby Hawk » 12 Thu Nov, 2009 5:30 pm

I buy all my paint supplies from www.smartshoppersinc.com They sell Kirker, House of colors and more. I like Kirker urethane myself.
hawk, decker
Hawk
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 13 Fri Nov, 2009 6:34 am

Good to know thanks. I'll have to surf that site today.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 13 Fri Nov, 2009 8:43 am

Try autobodytoolmart also.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 13 Fri Nov, 2009 9:07 am

CoryN wrote:Try autobodytoolmart also.
Thanks Cory. I have that one on my favorites already and was almost ready to buy from them.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 13 Fri Nov, 2009 9:39 am

Smartshoppers is actually a little bit cheaper than autobodytoolmart. I just got my supplies for the Camaro I painted from Smartshoppers. Shipping was very fast. Plus you can get alot of the little things you need in smaller amounts. Things like stireres, filters, mixing cups, water seperators, etc are only really available in large quantities from Autobodytoolmart.com.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

painting

Postby buggieBob » 30 Mon Nov, 2009 4:01 pm

I have painted three (3) buggie it takes about a quart of priner sealer. About a quart of color and if you are going to put small or median size flake mix about half the flake in a quart suction gun with two ball barrings to keep it mix shake gun to keep it mix. spray it as evenly as posable do this for both flake coats. Spray 4 or 5 thick coats of clear letting flash over each time. Let car set or three or four days. then sand with 1000 to 1500 grit wet sand paper. Wash car let dry and recoat with about three more coats of clear. then let dry and hand rub with 2000 grit wet paper and buff with mirror glaze rubbing compound and polishing compound to a high gloss. It will take about 1 1/2 gal. of clear
My name is Bobby and I'm a buggy-aholic
buggieBob
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk