Electric Fuel Pumps

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Electric Fuel Pumps

Postby CoryN » 08 Sun Nov, 2009 9:51 pm

Talk to me about electric fuel pumps. I'm going to switch from a generator to an alternator so my mechanical pump won't work anymore. I think an electric pump could be cleaner as I wouldn't need to have any fuel lines on the back of the engine. Plus with the Kadrons I need to reduce the fuel pressure also.

Can you put the pump under the tank instead of near the engine?

Most pumps I've seen seem to indicate a range of fuel pressure, are they adjustable? Or does the fuel regulator handle the adjustment?
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Jack Duncan » 08 Sun Nov, 2009 10:09 pm

Cory, mine is an electric pulse type pump mounted on the chassis just under the tank with a regulator on the driver's side frame horn near the engine. I had an Empi pump, but changed to another brand (can't remember the name) because I don't trust Empi anymore from all that I've heard about the quality. I just keep it as a spare. I run my pressure about 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. It does great with my Weber 44s. :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby matty101_vw » 08 Sun Nov, 2009 11:22 pm

Why wouldnt the mechanical pump work anymore with an alternator? I have an alternator on all my engines and still have the stock mechanical pump on it... im just confused is all ;-)
matty101_vw
Buggy Driver

Postby CoryN » 08 Sun Nov, 2009 11:28 pm

Alternator uses a different pump than a generator. The generator pump won't fit with the alternator. I could get another mechanical pump but I will take advantage of the opportunity and go electric
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 09 Mon Nov, 2009 8:50 am

If memory serves, the Facet type electric pump is a "push" pump and is design to be near the tank.
Personally, I don't see the advantage of an electric pump other than allowing one to "clean up" the back side of the engine. If you lose power to an electric pump, your done. David H and I saw that in Lone Pine, CA and watched a guy being towed across about 20 miles of desert and another 20 back to home base.

Getting a stock pump to put out @3lbs is easy...you add another gasket. Never had a problem with mine. Plus they're great on the budget.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby David Head » 09 Mon Nov, 2009 9:20 am

I agree with Greg. Not only in lone pine but also down in Bourne a couple of years ago we had someone that had to get out and tap on it every couple of miles. I would stick with mechanical pump. I moved my coil around to the front of the engine to clean up the look a little.
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 09 Mon Nov, 2009 9:33 am

All good points. Keep em coming.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 09 Mon Nov, 2009 9:36 am

I also say go with the stock pump. Get a nice chrome one to dress it up. The money you will spend to get a rotary fuel pump & a quality regulator will be so much more...and you don't gain reliability or function. Shim the pump with an extra gasket or two to get your pressure down to the 1.5-2.0 that the kads like. Oh...and if you do go mechanical don't forget its a different pushrod.

I ran mine with hard lines in the back. Here are some pics. I might have better ones at home.

jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 8:28 am

I would agree with the majority and go with a stock pump.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 8:58 am

I like electric ran them for years and no problems buy a 3 lbs. pump and no regulator.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Vee Dub Nut » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 9:14 am

I'll play the devils advocate here :twisted:

I have an electrical pump on my '67. The biggest advantage, you turn the key on and you instantly have fuel pressure without cranking the engine. This is nice because if you don't drive your buggy a lot like me, it automatically fills up the bowls in the carbs without having to crank the engine over and everything is ready to start. And yes, fuel will evaporate out of the carb bowls if it sits for any length of time (seems to be worse on bigger carbs in my experience).

Secondly, I know everyone talks about electrical pumps failing and leaving you stranded, but that argument doesn't get far with me. Ok, here is the engineering side coming out in me. Think about it, there are HUNDREDS of single point failures on your buggy that will leave you stranded, even in stock form. Points, condenser, cap, rotor, coil, tires (do you carry a spare?), brakes, trans, engine, mechanical fuel pump, etc, etc... If you get a good quality electrical pump, you are not worse off than stock IMO.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with mechanical pumps. It really just comes down to a preference. I had some issues with my mechanical pump and switch to electric and have been happy since. That was 7 years ago. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2006

1967 Beetle
19?? Buggy (Someday hopefully... unless I sell it too LOL)
2000 GTi
Vee Dub Nut
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 9:38 am

Jeff

How did you do the hard lines? Only place I've ever seen them is from Airkewld at $325. Can you roll your own?
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 10:13 am

hard lines are pretty easy. I did mine as well. 3/8"npt fitting to the carb (verify that size first) I used compression fittings on the fuel lines from the pump. Mine came from Home depot, JD I believe got hold of some stainless ones for his. Line from the pump to a T to front side of shroud, line from T to each carb. I also used some clamps to hold them in place.
And yes, fuel pump electric or stock...all personal preference.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby jspbtown » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 10:33 am

Cory,

I used brake lines from my local NAPA. The bend like a breeze. If they are designed for leak proof sealing under brake pressure they surely will hold the 1-2 psi from the pump.

I ran a flexible line from the hard line from the tank, over the tranny and into the pump inlet. Then a small section of rubber line from the pump to a hard line (2 inches or so?). Then a hard line around the back to a tee fitting. The tee fitting uses the stock brake line fittings. From there I branched out to both carbs and used a small rubber line to each carb.

On the ends that attach to the rubber lines I cut the fitting off by using a dremel to just cut the fitting...and not the line. Then I slide my hose over it and clamp it. One day I will get a flaring tool.....

If you look carefully in my motor pic you will see the rubber supply line coming in from the left. You can also see the hard line going toward the right. In the chassis pic you can see the supply line looping on the right side of the shroud feeding into the tee.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 10:53 am

a close up and some pics of JDs...didn't get any pics of mine.

and

http://www.texasmanxclub.com/MR_JDsride.htm
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby jspbtown » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 11:19 am

Greg,

Any worries about vibration and cracking? Looks very clean.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 12:21 pm

no worries so far. Mine's been set up that way for a couple of years and JD's for longer. There seems to be enough flex in the setup not to cause any issues. I use short sections of braided fuel line into and out of the stock pump. The rest is all fittings.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby CoryN » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 2:10 pm

GregR wrote:hard lines are pretty easy. I did mine as well. 3/8"npt fitting to the carb (verify that size first) I used compression fittings on the fuel lines from the pump. Mine came from Home depot, JD I believe got hold of some stainless ones for his. Line from the pump to a T to front side of shroud, line from T to each carb. I also used some clamps to hold them in place.
And yes, fuel pump electric or stock...all personal preference.

If yours are not stainless, what are they?
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 3:07 pm

jspbtown wrote:Image

What is that exhaust ?- looks like a bobtail, but I've never seen them in chrome.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 3:38 pm

I got it at CB Performance years back. It is a Bob Tail. they still have a listing for the chrome extractor...but not the muffler. Weird. they are available elsewhere.

I just picked up a brand new one from a guy for $125.......it will go in my Deserter.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 10 Tue Nov, 2009 4:03 pm

I was referring to the fittings.
JD used stainless fittings. my tubing is stainless as well.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

fuel pump

Postby buggieBob » 30 Mon Nov, 2009 4:03 pm

I put one on the rail I built I had to install a fuel regulater and set at about 1 1/2 lb.
My name is Bobby and I'm a buggy-aholic
buggieBob
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 01 Tue Dec, 2009 4:23 pm

Does anyone know about how much adding one more gasket lowers the fuel pressure on a mechanical pump :?:
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 01 Tue Dec, 2009 8:14 pm

I can't give you a direct answer but if I recall I added two additional (total of 3) for mine.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 01 Tue Dec, 2009 9:58 pm

Again, not a direct answer but I only needed 1 extra to solve my issue.
Something tells me that stock pumps vary in their output psi.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Return to Technical Talk