brake help

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

brake help

Postby cobra!tx » 20 Thu Aug, 2009 3:01 pm

my buggy has empi 4 wheel disc-the previous owner never finished the install-I have a whole stack of brake lines but i have no idea were they go-my car is on a 71 pan-anybody out there that can email me a pic of the rear brake lines installed?I have the fronts figured out i think but the rears i am not sure-looks like the 12 different hardlines i have are maybe just ones he bought at the auto parts store-not sure.I have 4 rubber lines 2 long and 2 about 3 inches long-no idea about these they are still in the package and say vw on them-I have another set of long rubber ones that i am pretty sure are fronts-I am in Lucas if there is anyone close who wants to take a look and give me some input Thanks
cobra!tx
Buggy Builder

Postby CoryN » 20 Thu Aug, 2009 4:32 pm

If I recall on mine. I had the long hard line that ran along the tunnel. That went to a T on the drivers side of the transmission. The T ran one hard line to the left side of the axle and one to the right. Those hard lines went to the rubber lines. The rubber lines then each went back to a hard line to the wheels.

But mines a swing axle so might not be appropriate.
CoryN
Buggyholic

brake lines

Postby mike cook » 20 Thu Aug, 2009 5:52 pm

long one alongside tunnel drivers sides then T then hard line to each side with a short rubber hose on each side to allow suspension to move then hard line up to caliper sound right?????
mike cook
Buggy Builder

Postby jspbtown » 21 Fri Aug, 2009 8:03 am

I believe you have an IRS so it should go long line to T, then hard lines to rear frame horns, then rubber lines to calipers.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 21 Fri Aug, 2009 8:31 am

this help??

Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 21 Fri Aug, 2009 8:56 am

Was I thinking swingaxle?

Kinda....there is a connector at the rear frame horn....but thats about all I got right.

Time for me to go back to sleep. Sorry for the incorrect advice.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

brakes

Postby cobra!tx » 21 Fri Aug, 2009 9:48 am

the pics help-I think i need to buy some more lines-these are just autozone hardlines i think-this is all thats really holding me up besides trying to find a place to mount the battery-any ideas on that?I thought about taking an optima and mounting it sideways under the dash
cobra!tx
Buggy Builder

Postby CoryN » 21 Fri Aug, 2009 10:21 am

I have to reassess my brakes. I had all the lines run, bled and ready to roll. Last weekend when i was working on wiring I noticed all the paint missing off my rear frame horns, and the volvo resevoir had one chamber almost empty. Appears both lines have leaked at the point where they attached to the rubber lines.

Why would they let go now, after sitting for a couple of months? Do I just tighten them down more now, or give up and start over. Makes me kinda nervous.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 21 Fri Aug, 2009 11:12 am

What style body do you have?

on my Manx I mounted a lawn tractor battery in the stock battery location. You can just see it here:

Or you can get an over the torsion mount like this:
http://www.mooreparts.com/store/product/1699/AC900000/

Using this method will of course depend on your body style.

Cory....are they tight? it could be something as simple as one connection at the flexible line bing just a little loose.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

b

Postby cobra!tx » 21 Fri Aug, 2009 12:02 pm

i have a clone with no battery hole or recess-I want to keep the back seat for my kids-PO was going to mount it there with a cooler-but i need to find a better location-I tried to use a underbody mount but finally figured out it was for a swing axle and would not work on my irs-I am running a radio and electric guages so not sure if the tractor battery and my alt will be enough juice-you running a radio and stuff?
cobra!tx
Buggy Builder

Postby jspbtown » 21 Fri Aug, 2009 12:05 pm

Well I had electric gauges but no radio. Unless you have a killer stereo system a good tractor battery would work.

I would fab up a box like Cory did.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby cobra!tx » 21 Fri Aug, 2009 12:20 pm

i will try that-my buddy is running an odyssey battery on a dragster with no alt and we hot lap it all night on one charge-about 6 passes running electronics and fuel pump-I have an electric fuel pump to-I did not relize the FI engine cases had no fuel pump mount-I may try the odessey just hoping to get something less than $160 thats small enough to work
cobra!tx
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk