Akerman principle and what it means.

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Akerman principle and what it means.

Postby David O' » 15 Sun Jan, 2006 9:12 pm

When a car is going straight, this item of the front suspension doesn't come into play. Akerman is the relation of the front wheels to each other and the rear wheels also. (in turns)
I know that there are a lot of people out there that are going to the narrowed front beams, but they are doing so to get the tire to get under the body. That is fine when the car is going in a straight line, but it causes problems when you try to turn the car either to the right or the left.
The main one is that the wheels, while they do not hit the fenders on the outside, they do hit the inner wheel wells of the car. (unless you make really wide turns)
Like all things that are being done today, for the most part, the basic and important issues concerning the performance and safety of the car are often traded out just for looks.
Think of you car as viewed from the top, with the body off of the car.....you are looking at four wheels which have to work together to get the most out of the handling of the car and the tires.
If you take a draw a line at the centerline of the two rear wheels and take it way out to the side of the car.......you have half of the diagram of the suspension of the car.
Now take the front wheels of the car and imagine that you are turning, say to the left as far as you can. When you do this, and you can see that the left front wheel of the car turns farther to the left than the right front wheel does. Same goes for the right turn situation. The reason for this is called ackerman principle. The reason that the left wheel turns more than the right is that the left front of the chassis is closer to the pivot point that the car would make in turning the corner......just draw an imaginary line straight down the center of the left front spindal, and follow that line to where it would intersect the line you drew at the rear wheels. If you now draw a line down the right front spindal, following that center line, it should intersect the line at the rear at the same point. This is the actual turning point of the chassis around a corner. If this is happening, then the ackerman is right and the car is allowed to make the turn you want without the front tires fighting each other.
The ackerman is set by the car manufacters, by the angle of the spindle arm to the center line of the spindle. They calculated the turning radius of the car in width, and made the arms to move the tires the right amount in relation to the width of the front beam.
Now you can have some fun, by narrowing the front beam two inches and you will find that no matter how well you set the front end of the car to go straight, that the front wheel centerlines will not intersect the rear line at the same point and the tires are fighting each other in the turns. This causes the tires to scrub of rubber as they are not following the true arc of the turn at the same ratio in relation to the width of the car.
Dune buggies are light anyway, and so you need to keep the tires running true to each other of the car will get "out of shape" real fast. (Usually when you need them to work right in the worst way. )
Oh, before you ask........I don't recomend bending the arms with or with out heat to try to set them to the narrowed beam.
If you want the tires to be under the fenders, and that is real important to you.......get less wide tires and the problem goes away.
The last point is that due to the way that the front beam of a beetle was made, lowering the car at the beam causes the caster to diminish as well. That is an easy fix, however, just put caster shims under the lower cross beam and put more caster back in.
Also, if you lower the front beam with an adjustable one, then you will need to run shorter shocks to keep them from bottoming out on serious bumps, and you will want to use ball joints that have more travel in them to allow you not to be beating the joints out by making them travel in an arc that they were not designed to do.
If this hasn't cleared this up, please let me know and I will try to get a diagram drawn to help with that. :D
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 15 Sun Jan, 2006 10:44 pm

I thank a diagram would be worth a thousand words if its not too much trouble.
I'm not running a narrowed beam or planning on it, Just mainly curious.
Although I will be running a 5" wider beam with 2x3 rear trailing arms and don't have a clue what that will do to the akerman.
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 17 Tue Jan, 2006 2:28 am

A diagram would help, but you can try it on any car on your driveway! I notice it in my trucks, but didn't put a name to the scenario....

My advice to the local VW club (which 2 years ago was 3 members, now up to 25! yay!), instead of narrowing the beam, which gets rid of parallel-ism (in my goofy words) get WIDER FENDERS. :lol:
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

WOW Thanks!

Postby Faron » 17 Tue Jan, 2006 10:35 pm

WOW Carlos!!! Now I understand, I think! It also makes me question if I really want to lower my buggy or not. Am I better off just replacing the bushings, with polyurethane bushings? And replacing all my ball joints, and put on a nice set of shocks? Then I can just put 16" rims with med. profile tires. (I am concerned about how hard it will be to turn the wheels with to wide a tire, do I go with 4" wide or 6" wide?) I am not worried about the wheels being wider then the fenders. It will look cool either way. If I just rebuild what I have it will save me a boat load of cash! Explained this way it makes me want to go this route. THANKS, Carlos
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 21 Sat Jan, 2006 11:37 am

thanks for the understanding
I have 6" on mine but I belive the back spacing is a little wide as well
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby mkparker » 30 Mon Jan, 2006 8:59 am

Here is a good article on Ackerman, with pictures. It is for T-buckets but the idea is the same.
Ackerman

The next article is for RC cars oddly enough, but once again the idea is the same.

RC Akerman

mkparker
Buggy Driver

Postby David O' » 30 Mon Jan, 2006 5:07 pm

That's a good article, and the diagrams explain it well......thanks for the info, now I don't have to write the article! With all of the things I've got going on at the moment, that is a good thing!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 31 Tue Jan, 2006 3:57 pm

Good article, Looks like almost all of us have screwed up the ackerman buy chopping 14" out of the original pan length.
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk