Swing Axle Leak

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Swing Axle Leak

Postby Gunfighter » 01 Wed Jul, 2009 3:56 pm

Help needed!
Can't seem to get the side plates to stop leaking. It's an occasional drip. Enough to leave a 2" puddle overnight. I replaced the gasket kit and torqued everthing to spec but it still leaks on both sides. I used 3 gaskets.
The kicker is the kit came with a large o-ring. My manual says it goes in the recess in the bearing cover inside the gaskets. But for the life of me I don't see anywhere an o-ring would go. According to the manual this o-ring is what does the sealing and the gaskets are to control the stiffness at which the axle articulates. To few gaskets and it will be to tight. To many gaskets results in end float, whatever that is.
Anyway I was wondering if anyone could post a pic or schematic of where this rubber o-ring is supposed to fit as my manual doesn't show it.
Thanks
65 Beetle-Chigger
71 Ghia Vert-Gert
Gunfighter
Buggy Builder

Postby zelitz » 02 Thu Jul, 2009 12:28 am

I am hardly an expert about this stuff, but years of building with Lego means I can follow pictures pretty well.
http://www.scholwinski.com/kenneth/pics/dunebuggy/8-12.jpg ;-)

Edit:
Not sure if this helps, but figured I'll toss the link out there. Its all of the old Volkswagen shop manuals... only in German heh.
http://www.vw-classic.net/vwcd_neu/content.pl?src=cp_technik&top=cp_technik
zelitz
Buggy Builder

Postby blackthree4me » 03 Fri Jul, 2009 12:50 pm

the Ruber O ring goes on the metal plate side of the axil tube flange
you will see a raised edge sort of where the two pieces come together
That is where the ruber oring goes.

yes it will leak forever if you dont put the oring seal in there
I had mine done with sealer
Just recently redid it with no leaks .
I will see if I can get you a Pic today
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Gunfighter » 06 Mon Jul, 2009 1:25 pm

the o-ring that came in the gasket kt won't fit that ridge on the axle tube retainer plate you mentioned which is why I didn't put it in in the first place. There's a shop here in Baton Rouge that can make o-rings so if it's needed and I have to take everything apart I guess I could get a couple made.
What does that ridge seal against?
I'm gonna try to get a side view pic of the plate to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
thanks for the info.
65 Beetle-Chigger
71 Ghia Vert-Gert
Gunfighter
Buggy Builder

Postby Gunfighter » 06 Mon Jul, 2009 1:52 pm

Here's a couple pics of the axle tube retainer plate showing the ridge I think you are talking about and also the o-rings that came in the gasket kit.
The ridge measures 5.150 on the OD and the o-rings measure approximately 6-3/8 on the ID which means they are way to big for this ridge.

65 Beetle-Chigger
71 Ghia Vert-Gert
Gunfighter
Buggy Builder

Postby Bryan Porter » 06 Mon Jul, 2009 2:33 pm

That o-ring goes around the side cover thats bolted to the trans under the flange you are working on.
There should be just gaskets under that part of the axle.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Gunfighter » 06 Mon Jul, 2009 3:07 pm

thanks Bryan. that's what I've been thinking all along.
65 Beetle-Chigger
71 Ghia Vert-Gert
Gunfighter
Buggy Builder

Postby Gunfighter » 07 Tue Jul, 2009 8:38 am

After much research, the clouds have lifted and the sun is finally shining on my leaking axle retaining plate.

I think the major confusion has been that there are two side plates that attach to my tranny case. The first is actually called a side plate. It is a cast piece that has 8 bolts and connects directly to the tranny case. The second is the axle tube retaining ring. It is a stamped steel plate, has 6 bolts and attaches to the side plate. It's sole purpose is to hold the axle tube flange snug against the plastic daisy spacer that allows the axle tube to slide up and down easily.
The bottom bolt on the Axle Tube Retaining Ring is where my leak was. There is no o-ring that seals this ring. The o-ring that came in the kit is for the actual side plate to seal it against the tranny case itself.
My solution it seems is gonna be Permatex.
I hope this clears things up for anyone that encounters this same problem in the future.
Thanks for all your help guys.
65 Beetle-Chigger
71 Ghia Vert-Gert
Gunfighter
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk