Baby comes home

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Baby comes home

Postby Rotobug » 10 Tue Jan, 2006 10:16 am

Well my baby ('67 rotary powered bug) comes home today after 3 months of paint and body. I will post pictures as soon as I can. Or, you can stop by http://home.sw.rr.com/bugnut01 to see progress. I will be assembling like a mad man to make the salado show. Fingers crossed!!!!
Rotobug

Postby GregR » 10 Tue Jan, 2006 10:36 am

Roto...
Be sure to post the pictures azs soon as you get them....I got dibs on a ride in Salado.. 8-)
GR
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby David Head » 10 Tue Jan, 2006 11:47 am

Hey Shawn, Welcome to the site. It's about time you found us. David
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Hey

Postby Texasbuggys » 11 Wed Jan, 2006 7:44 am

I got second ride! That roto VW is a great power plant for them for the most bang for the buck without butchering up a car.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

rotor

Postby Texasbuggys » 11 Wed Jan, 2006 7:48 am

One thing you may wish to look at and consider, the rad heat coming into the passenger compartment from the front firewall area. On mine it was bad and I had to seal off that area with aluminum and heat sheild, made a big difference. Looks like a clean setup and nice paint work from pictures. Tell us a little more about you setup. Parts used? It looks like a KEP adapter and stock 12a including the stock carb.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Rotobug » 11 Wed Jan, 2006 8:23 am

Yep, its a 12A with KEP adapter. From what the P.O. says it has the standard KEP 1700# clutch. The carb is the racing beat holley 4 barrel. Were running the MSD box using 3 coils. 1 coil per leading plug and 1 coil going to the distributer to power the 2 trailing plugs. It should be a wild ride...lets hope the tranny holds up till i can get a more built one!!
Rotobug

Postby GregR » 11 Wed Jan, 2006 9:24 am

How about some pictures and a little article for the web site? Just send it to me and I'll post it. :D
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 11 Wed Jan, 2006 9:37 am

As some of you may know I do not have my mind made up on a power plant for my Buggy. I have asked about a Corvair motor, & a VW Motor. Now I am going to ask about rotary power in my buggy. Is there a advantage to using a rotary motor in my buggy?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 11 Wed Jan, 2006 11:22 am

Well, Rotobug will have better answers but first things that come to mind are: it's water cooled so you'd need a radiator somewhere. You'll probably need some weight up front to keep the wheels on the ground and not sure how long a stock transaxle will last.
If this is your first buggy I promise you'll want to build another one to do almost everything different...better. I know I've learned an awful lot and would do many things different....like put the windshield on with the groove facing forward....HAHA
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Rotobug » 11 Wed Jan, 2006 2:53 pm

Faron,
If ya need any info just give me a ring a ding or email or smoke signals...im easy. also..go check out http://www.smbaker.com/rail/mazda.html and
www.geocities.com/zenjoe/vw.html
i got alot of info off these sites and well...trial and error. The first web site is a rail. You might get some good info off of that!!! i can be of as much help as i can so just ask. BTW...i too have stock tranny. Wonder how long that will last.
Rotobug

tranny

Postby Texasbuggys » 11 Wed Jan, 2006 9:02 pm

It will last if in good shape and you are easy on starts. If you redline and drop it on pavement lots of times it will shortly allow you to use your cell phone for a ride. Just be a bit easy on the take off and then nail it and away she goes.

The drawback to watercooled buggy.
1) Radiator placement- Not an issue really unless you want back seat area or mind a bit of radiant heat.
2.) It will haul behind for lots less money than VW power and last much longer dollar for dollar.
3.) It will no longer be VW powered - Therefore it can't be entered into VW class shows. This is not an issue for a driver buggy but is if you intend to show it.

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Rotobug » 11 Wed Jan, 2006 10:17 pm

If I go to show my 67 and they wont let me cause of the engine, you talk about P.O.'ed. Ive seen many "alternative" powered vws in class. Now I dont expect to show "STOCK", but at least modifed since 90% of the car is VW. Wonder if Ennis will give me grief? Now you got me thinking. Greg, am I going to be allowed to show at salado?
Rotobug

shows

Postby Texasbuggys » 12 Thu Jan, 2006 7:32 am

You should always check before going if you intend to show as most VW gatherings do not welcome non-vw powered cars / buggies to compete even though it maybe VW or dune buggy.

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Rotobug » 12 Thu Jan, 2006 11:29 am

I just talked to mike over at Black Gold, I guess they are involved somehow with th Ennis show, and asked him if I could show. Said I should be but would have to talk to the organizers to see what class. Who knows.
I'm thinking modified or special interest or hey..fiber glass buggy.. LOL..Ill toss a piece of fiberglass under the carpet to be legal... :)
Rotobug

Postby Buggy1 » 12 Thu Jan, 2006 1:23 pm

Hey Roto,
Past Events at Ennis have been for and against non VW engine.........if someone protest in that class you could be very well out..........Id check before you pay up to enter. I know of one guy who brought some viper powered rail to Ennis and wound up not being able to enter.........the basic protest was that the car was not a VW. I figure most just just don't want to get into high cost type vehicles competing in the "normal" class...........I know I would not want to try and compete with that sorta thing.

Neal
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby Rotobug » 14 Sat Jan, 2006 9:48 pm

I was there for that fiasco. A 50K dollar sandrail with no parts whatsoever VW. Anyways, Got a little done on bug with no scratches...
http://home.sw.rr.com/bugnut01
Rotobug

Postby Rotobug » 18 Wed Jan, 2006 8:17 am

Well she goes to the interior shop today to get a headliner installed. After that the build will be in full swing!!!
Rotobug

Return to Technical Talk