Generator/Regulator Wiring

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Generator/Regulator Wiring

Postby Bill K » 09 Mon Jan, 2006 11:36 pm

I'm trying to get the generator and regulator wired correctly so that the battery is being charged by the generator.
My regulator is mounted vertically. I have the armataure and field wires from the generator attached correctly to the two top terminals of the regulator. At the bottom of the regulator on one side is a pair of heavy terminals (one on top of the other), and on the other side a single smaller terminal.
I have the positive post of the battery wired to the starter solenoid.
I've been told that I should wire from either one of the larger lower regulator terminals to the starter solenoid with the positive battery connection. That would be the place the battery picked up the charge from the generator.
Is this the right way to go?
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 10 Tue Jan, 2006 9:18 am

On the 12V generator, the regulator is connected as follows:(photo courtesey of Dale M. of dune-buggy.com)
Your welcome!!!!
Michael

Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Buggy1 » 10 Tue Jan, 2006 10:30 am

Follow the diagram Bill, thats a good one that is posted.

Neal
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

wiring diagram

Postby Carlton Dollery » 10 Tue Jan, 2006 4:28 pm

Do you have to have the wire running from the voltage regulator to idiot light to the ignition switch for the generator to charge the battery? I have been reading up on this because I do not have this wire hooked up on my car and the generator does not charge the battery. I assumed that the generator was bad. :?

Any comments would help. :D
Carlton Dollery
Buggy Driver

Postby GregR » 10 Tue Jan, 2006 5:42 pm

You must have the wire from the regulator to the idiot light to the switch for the system to work. The light acts as the "exciter" for the system
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 10 Tue Jan, 2006 6:03 pm

I've never run an idiot light either, and didn't have a clue it was necessary. Is it a special bulb just for that purpose? If not, can one of the small round auto-supply type bulbs that I mounted in the dash for turn indicator lights work?
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk