Early Ball bearing front brake assy

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Early Ball bearing front brake assy

Postby Fred » 18 Sat Apr, 2009 3:20 pm

After getting my spindles rebuilt and installing new brake hardware Something doesn't seem right when I attempt to put the drums on.I assembled in this order,1st inner race on spindle,2nd, inner bearing with balls making contact with drum- fat side of cage toward spindle. 3rd, the seal- pretty much flush with drum(slightly out but not making contact with anything but where its supposed to) 4th, pushed and wiggled drum onto spindle. HERE LIES THE PROBLEM, I dont remember exactly how the outer race goes on, I tried to pretty much copy the inner one, balls touching the drum and fat side of the race out. When the washer, inner nut, locking plate and outer nut are on, the dust cap wont go on all the way and actually has scrape marks where it has hit the outer nut when spun. also the outer nut isnt even all the way on the threads(about two thirds) Also it is almost exactly 3/8 of an inch from the inner drum edge to the back of the back plate, If someone has a diagram or picture of this assy It would be greatly appreciated. My internet search has been futile Thanks guys Fred
One step forward, Two steps back!!
Fred
Buggy Nut

Postby Don » 18 Sat Apr, 2009 7:07 pm

OK, what year is your spindle and what year is your drum. Also, a picture is worth 1000 words.
1967 Dune Buggy - aka Shrek
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby Fred » 18 Sat Apr, 2009 9:12 pm

The car is a '54, I think its original These are the bearings and races that came off of it, They were in good shape so I'm re-using em. This is how they are configured in the hub thats put together If you click on the small pic you get to the album and see all pics. Is this the correct configuration for it ,do ya see how far the nut is out on the spindle?[img][img]http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt300/fingham/th_BuggyFronthubs003.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt300/fingham/BuggyFrontHubs001-1.jpg[/img][/img]
Fred
Buggy Nut

Postby Vee Dub Nut » 18 Sat Apr, 2009 9:31 pm

you should definitely have more threads on those spindle nuts..

I'd pull it back apart and see what you can find. May try the early forum over on the Samba. Thats a really early chassis and is pretty different from later model stuff
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2006

1967 Beetle
19?? Buggy (Someday hopefully... unless I sell it too LOL)
2000 GTi
Vee Dub Nut
Buggyholic

Postby Fred » 19 Sun Apr, 2009 10:47 am

Got it!!! Thanks V dub nut. After sleeping on it I put the left side on dry and it went on fine. So I pulled The right side back apart and low and behold-I hate to say this- the brakes were to tight, I barely had 2 threads on the adjusting stars but i t needed even less. Now everything is hunky-dory! Dontcha love a happy ending. Fred
Fred
Buggy Nut

Postby Fred » 19 Sun Apr, 2009 2:21 pm

I found this if anybody ever needs it (exploded view of early VW)[img][img]http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt300/fingham/front_axle_to_65_bug1.gif[/img][/img]
Fred
Buggy Nut

Postby Vee Dub Nut » 19 Sun Apr, 2009 6:03 pm

glad you got it taken care of!
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2006

1967 Beetle
19?? Buggy (Someday hopefully... unless I sell it too LOL)
2000 GTi
Vee Dub Nut
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk