Help with wiring a wiper motor

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Help with wiring a wiper motor

Postby Bill K » 01 Sun Jan, 2006 9:24 pm

:?: I need help being sure I wire in my wiper motor correctly. My old car was on a '63 chassis, so I'm assuming the wiper motor I salvaged is of the same vintage.
It has 3 electrical tabs. 2 are together and in line with each other. The 3rd is offset from the other 2. I am assuming the out-or-line one is the ground connection, but I'm not sure.
I would appreciate someone letting me know which tab is for the ground, and which is for the power. I'm again assuming 2 power tabs, one for high and the other for low speed.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 01 Sun Jan, 2006 10:05 pm

Bill,
63 models did not have two speeds. and they are six volt! The three leads are 2 for power, (one is the parking hot terminal, ) and one is the ground. If you go to hook that unit up to a 12 volt car, you will have to drop the power from 12 volts to six volts. If you clean the unit up, you will find that there is a #31 terminal on the unit, and it will line up with the number that states it. That is the ground. Put the negative terminal wire to that one and fed 6 volts to each of the other two terminal, and that is the easy way to determin which terminal is the one for full time running, and which one is for the stopping of the arms in the "down" position.
If you need more of an explaination, let me know.
DavidO'
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 02 Mon Jan, 2006 9:00 am

WIPER MOTOR
53 Wiper motor, input (+)
53a Wiper (+), self-parking switch-off
53b Wiper (shunt winding)
53c Electric windshield-washer pump
53e Wiper (brake winding)
53i Wiper motor with permanent magnet and third brush (for higher
speed)
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk