Brakes

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Brakes

Postby Russhebert » 18 Thu Sep, 2008 5:00 pm

Help I am at my wits end what little I have left. My front brakes were squeecking very bad unless you pushed them really hard on the front, and they are disc. So I thought I would put new pads to see if that would help, but now it is twice as bad. Now they squeeck louder the harder you push the pedal. I have tried everything to no avail. Is there a better pad to put on there and where do you get them or another solution? Pleese help because I am about to loose my mind it is very annoying.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby Keith Wenzel » 18 Thu Sep, 2008 9:29 pm

I'll bet it only does it when you push the middle pedal. I switched the pedals around and it quit. I don't recommend that unless you label them for other drivers.

Seriously, I don't have a clue.
Father and Son Projects
Keith Wenzel
Buggy Driver

Postby buggieBob » 19 Fri Sep, 2008 6:57 am

On disk breaks sometimes it isn't the pads squeaking it is the pad back viberating. They make a celacone type product to stop it from viberating check with one of the auto parts stores about this
My name is Bobby and I'm a buggy-aholic
buggieBob
Buggy Nut

Postby Peter » 09 Tue Dec, 2008 3:03 pm

Have you fitted, the shaped shims between the pads and the securing pins, these are anti squeal shims and should do the job.
Cover the back of the pads and the pins surface with a copper based grease too and make sure the pads can move freely in their slots when fitted into the calipers........

Regards
Peter
Peter
Buggy Builder

Postby Russhebert » 09 Tue Dec, 2008 6:23 pm

The trick to this is put a fine layer of silicon between the pads and the metal backing plate.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby Peter » 10 Wed Dec, 2008 1:16 pm

Further to the subject, it isn't normal for pads to squeal so much, and measures to deal with it shouldn't need extra help.

If the pads are a good slip fit in the calipers and not binding on the retaining pins, are the anti squeak shims functioning, ie, not flattened with age and still doing their job, they should be fine.

What state are the discs in?, and is the hydraulic release working, when you take your foot off.
The release of pedal pressure may not be being transmitted to the hydraulics, and pressure still in the front system, is causing the pads to bind on the discs and shriek.
This could be a problem within the master cylinder..

Just a thought

Regards
Peter
Peter
Buggy Builder

Postby carlos del carpio » 10 Wed Dec, 2008 6:16 pm

no glazing?
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk