Single Port???

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Single Port???

Postby Faron » 24 Sat Dec, 2005 12:43 am

I have a Single port motor, and I have been told that if I make a few changes I can make it a Duel port. It is a 1970 and it is all there even the clutch and pressure plate. From what I can see it looks like I can mess with it a little and it will start right up. That would be great, but I want to build a real looker when it comes to my buggy, and that includes the motor. Not only do I want it to be a real looker, but I want the motor to back up the flame paint job! If it does not pull the front end off the ground I will be pissed, and do what it takes to pull wheelies. Does anyone have any advice when it comes to this? Can I make my single port into a duel port that will haul butt?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 24 Sat Dec, 2005 12:15 pm

Well, remember energy transfer, for starters. You have the engine, tranny, axles and wheels. Engine spins, turns tranny, then the tranny turns the axles, which spins the wheels, the car goes...

when you 'pop a wheelie', instead of the energy transfering to spinning wheels, it's being used to lift a car, almost a 'reverse effect' of what you really want, and the first moments are very desctructive towards STOCK components.

Now, if you really want to wheelie your buggy, park the buggy. First, you and a buddy lift the front of your car about 3 feet, count to 3 and then...DROP IT! Let it go, let it slam to the ground....'cause that is what happens. Hopefully your front end components can hold up to it, and hopefully you won't need another wheel alignment. After the buggy goes WHAM! Check and see if the suspension travel damaged your fenders...

As for a single port engine, remember the VW's powertrain was designed and built for economy, not high performance. If you have a single port, it's probably a what..1500? maayyybe a 1600. Stock engine..probably not. OF course, there are drivers who can finnesse a wheelie from a stocker. Switching the heads from single to dual port will let it breathe better, and give better distribution of fuel to the cylinders, provided you also upgrade the carb setup... I personally don't know the HP increase of your situation, as more specs are needed. Engine size, miles, etc. etc....

Good luck, I gotta go back to my project! yay!!!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 24 Sat Dec, 2005 12:36 pm

I understand how hard a wheelie is on a car. But this is not a car that I will be using to go back and worth to work. I am building it for fun and nothing else, so if I bust something while enjoying it I will be OK with that. Buggy Warehouse is just down the street from the dealership I work at. :D
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 24 Sat Dec, 2005 1:11 pm

From what little knowledge I have, and thats very little. I don't think that is a very good platform to build a performance motor. You can up grade the to dp heads, So cal imports has a kit for that. The sp motor is probably a single oil relief case it has less oil flow than a dual relief case. Also the oil cooler is in the fan shroud on sp motors so you get less air flow to cylinders 3 & 4.
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 01 Sun Jan, 2006 4:25 pm

I agree with the other guys.wheelies = damage!
hate to burst your bubble but no single port will pull the front wheels of your glass buggy. sand rail maybee?
a single port can be done up very nicely for show and peppy fun driving.
ask our member David F (of the 911 falllen heros buggy)
he has won awards for best engine (its a single port)

as for upgrading it takes quite a bit to upgrade corectly
you need the 1600 cc + cylinders, heads DP ,fan ,shroud,alt stand/intake manafold and usualy biger carbs to go with that new duel port head.
and sincer you adding more power might as well go with the new cam
oil pump, full flow, ect ect ect. and thats just for starters. its neverending
so having a single port motor all in one pieces is good but not if you want something else.
its like saying I have an old stock vw beetle
with a couple minor things done to it
I can have a realy bad as dune buggy
minor changes is a relitve term

pick what you want to do in your car and go after it. if you want wheelies
look at something in the 1915 range with duel carbs, high compression, and a lightened flywheel, big as sticky tires, rear mounted gas tank, lightened aluminum front beam. runner tires and last but not least
a big check book to put in the rear seat your gonna need it.
the car can be built to do what ever you want it to do it just takes planning

I have a 1641 DP 110 cam with duel 40 MM carbs
it will smoke the tires, slide side ways and does donuts nicely
but no wheelies its just too heavy in the front
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 01 Sun Jan, 2006 9:42 pm

Thanks for the information, and the willingness to tell me what you think. I understand that a wheelie is not going to be easy with the budget that I have. To be honest...I would love to be able to pull the front end off the ground, but if I cant. I will only be mildly be disappointed, and only for a second. Basically what I am looking for is a Reliable, REALLY good looking, and quick buggy. In that order I might add! I am leaning toward a 1735, or a 2110 with Duel carbs on either. I love the way a duel carb set up looks. I have a long way to go before I buy a motor, so I have a lot of time to look around to figure it out. My next step is the suspension, I want to have a rolling Chassis by the end of February. :D
Faron
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk