Need to Adjust My Rear Torsions...Quickly

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Need to Adjust My Rear Torsions...Quickly

Postby Don » 22 Thu May, 2008 10:20 am

I've been working on Shrek a bit and one of the things I did was to replace the coil-over shock with stock to soften the ride. The rear end was sagging before but now it's bottomed out. Unfortunately I threw away the coil-overs (rusty) before I road tested and let the suspension settle. So, if I'm going to have any chance of making Buggy Blast with a running buggy I need to reindex the rear torsions (swing axle). I've read the articles but I've never actually done it before. I have tonight after work and tomorrow until an early afternoon departure.

I need a best guess as to how far to adjust because I'll probably only get one shot at it before I run out of time. The article on the Manx Club website (http://www.meyersmanx.com/garage/garage_suspend.htm) suggests a one spline adjustment on the outer end (8.17 degrees) which sounds like a lot, but then again, I need a lot. Anyone have a suggestion? Like I said, the rubber bumpers are at their stops but just barely. Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Also, does anyone know the size and pitch of the spring plate cover bolts? I understand that having some long ones can help with reassembly. If I could pick some up on the way home that would save me some time.
1967 Dune Buggy - aka Shrek
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby CoryN » 22 Thu May, 2008 10:37 am

I'm no expert, but I'll say the hardest part of it for me was getting the torsion covers back on over the rubber. One took me a good hour, the second a little less. Longer bolts would certainly help.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 22 Thu May, 2008 10:45 am

Don,
I have a used pair of coil overs. You are welcome to use them or have them, whatever you want. Let me know if want me to bring them with me.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 22 Thu May, 2008 11:10 am

Otherwise if you can get it there, I'm sure there are a number of us willing to man a wrench.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 22 Thu May, 2008 11:12 am

Using murz formula will let you know how much lift you will have with your estimated adjustment.

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:24 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used an angle finder and set both sides to the same exact angle. This is the right way to do it. You will have to tweek inner and outer splines to get both to the same angle.

But to get that angle use this reasoning:
To determine amount of drop or raise think of your swingplates like hands of a clock. Measure the distance from the middle of the torsion to the axle centerline.....radius. Circumference= 2 pie(3.14) R

Once you find the circumference divide by 360. Your answer equals the amount of movement up or down each degree will move the arm.

Follow me?

Lets use this example to illustrate further:

Say the distance on the swingplate or radius is 15 inches(just for example)
2 x "pie" x R
2 x 3.14 x 15=94.2 inches for your circumference

now take 94.2 inches and divide by 360(degrees)
94.2/360=.262inches
or .262 inches per degree of movement

Armed with info you now can make educated guesses of how far up or down you will be from stock...assuming stock is around 20-22 degrees???

OR...you could just eyeball it and do it 5 times

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 22 Thu May, 2008 11:56 am

Don,
Using the formula above as an example, All things being the same. That would give your buggy a little over two inches in lift.
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby Don » 22 Thu May, 2008 12:58 pm

Bill K wrote:Don,
I have a used pair of coil overs. You are welcome to use them or have them, whatever you want. Let me know if want me to bring them with me.

Bill,
If you could bring them that would be great. I'm going to give it a shot tonight but if things don't go well I'll bail and go with the coil overs. Thanks.

CoryN wrote:Otherwise if you can get it there, I'm sure there are a number of us willing to man a wrench.

:D That would be awesome. I may take you up on it.

David Head wrote:Don,
Using the formula above as an example, All things being the same. That would give your buggy a little over two inches in lift

I'll take a measurement tonight but 2" sounds about right. Thanks.
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 22 Thu May, 2008 1:24 pm

A done deal.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Don » 23 Fri May, 2008 10:56 am

Looks like we're going to make it. I actually over adjusted a little but it will do for now.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Don on 11 Wed Jun, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby CoryN » 23 Fri May, 2008 10:59 am

Good deal 8-)
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 23 Fri May, 2008 11:20 am

They may settle a little....
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 23 Fri May, 2008 11:38 am

Which brings up a question, do you want them sitting level in an empty buggy, or do you want them like Don's so that the weight of the passengers brings it down level?
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Vee Dub Nut » 23 Fri May, 2008 12:26 pm

How many splines change is that?

I unloaded my torsion bars and kicked them down a spline on my chassis. I want the wheels to sit level, or have a slight negative camber when the body is on and the engine is in.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2006

1967 Beetle
19?? Buggy (Someday hopefully... unless I sell it too LOL)
2000 GTi
Vee Dub Nut
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 23 Fri May, 2008 12:31 pm

Cory,
Great point. I would leave them as is, drive it a couple of weeks and check again, loaded as you would normnally drive it. I think they are pretty darn close.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk