Dual Cannons

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Dual Cannons

Postby CoryN » 02 Fri May, 2008 1:45 pm

Looks like a lot of y'all are running dual cannons, pipes, megaphones, whatever they are called.

My wife expressed an interest in making mine all rumbly after hearing the Maroon Manx.

Is there a particular brand you all are running? Are there ones to avoid? Are they all mostly the same thing, just different vendors?

Thansk
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 02 Fri May, 2008 2:18 pm

Lots of opinions on the cannons. My second buggy had them, and my third has a nice quiet pack. After having the quiet pack I would never even consider the cannons again. They sound cool...but after a decent drive your ears are aching.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 02 Fri May, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm legally deaf ;-)

I can just turn off my hearing aid. 8-)
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 02 Fri May, 2008 3:29 pm

Geez...that would be handy with my wife.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 02 Fri May, 2008 3:42 pm

Its handy with a lot of people ;-)
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 02 Fri May, 2008 11:06 pm

The first thing to consider is whether you want ceramic, chrome, or black. The ceramic cost more, but won't discolor like the chrome ones can. I'm running a chrome pair I bought from JC Whitney, and have been happy with them. I even found a polish that will take the bluing off the pipes. Mine are probably near the bottom of the cost ladder-- a little over $100. I like the sound, and it's not deafening, but when you are cruising the open road, they can make conversation just a tad difficult.
When I replace what I have, I want to get a pair of ceramic's like Jimmy Davis has. I think Staggerwing has a pair of those also.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Dual Cannons

Postby the 'Maniac » 06 Tue May, 2008 10:24 am

When I bought our buggy "Xena" & completely rebuilt her, I re-used the dual cannons that were already on her, on the 1600cc I built! Yes they sounded loud & racey, but between 55-68 mph, the tone they made would buzz my brain!
Also, the set of dual cannons had to be removed in order to adjust the valves, however some brands of them do not!

The original "design/purpose" of the dual cannon design is for "WOT" wide open throttle running, as in racing! Guys would tune their engine for this & the low & mid-range HP & torque would suffer, but they were mostly WOT so the drop in hp/torque at lower rpms wasn't a problem!

After a bit of research, I bought a Tri-Mil "BobTail" Quiet-Pack exhaust system! It has a turbo muffler, not a glasspack, which will eventually wear out & get much louder!

The only bad thing about this system, was the collector only used a 2 bolt flange, not a 3 bolt like other headers! After a few mods, it finally seals up & stays sealed up for long periods of time now!

The unbelieveable & greatly appreciated difference was in the low to mid-range hp & torque increase!!! The top end power is basically the same!
With the BobTail exhaust, the "seat of the pants" feel was quite noticeable!

It is a 4 into 1 design with a short collector & the primary tubes are equal length & they are 1 3/8" in diameter!

You don't need the larger 1 1/2", 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" primary tubes unless you are running a large displacement engine that is going to be running in the upper rpm ranges a lot!

So... yes the dual cannons look cool & can sound OK too, but if you really want better performance (hp/torque) & fuel mileage, check into a good 4 into 1 header with a "Quiet-Pack" muffler or a tuneable Super-Trapp muffler, you'll be glad you did!
Have FUN FUN FUN... the 'Maniac
the 'Maniac
Buggy Driver

Postby CoryN » 06 Tue May, 2008 11:07 am

Well this is what it has on it now

I could just mount a muffler on it, But it sure isn't pretty at all.

I could paint them black with Caterpillar paint, but even then I still think they would look pretty rough. I could wrap them I guess. Might be an interesting look.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 06 Tue May, 2008 10:29 pm

I had that same exhaust and fabbed up a mount for a Hayabusa Muffler. QUIET!! Listen.....

Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 07 Wed May, 2008 7:46 am

Cool. Looks ok too. Were your pipes in as bad of shape as mine? They look ok in that picture.

PS - I have a lead on a local machine shop with experience in drilling vw drums. I'll let you know what I find out.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 07 Wed May, 2008 8:08 am

The Blast will be a great place for you to get to see and hear a bunch of different exhaust systems.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 13 Tue May, 2008 8:27 pm

blast clean powder cote and slap a stinger or muffler on that bad boy
save you some $$$$

it will work great
are you sticking with the singel carb?
if not cut those riser tubes off and weld them over before the cote
Black
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 14 Wed May, 2008 4:46 pm

The more Harley riders I ask, the more I start to realize they have the loud exhaust for safety rather than the 'coolness' factor... there are pics here on what a buggy looks like in an accident.. if having a loud exhaust MIGHT be a bit safer, I'd get 'em..
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

dual bazookas

Postby staggerwing » 14 Wed May, 2008 4:55 pm

I'm diggin the dual bazookas I have... I have a new car and the more I drive it the better it gets. She has a 1776, dual Kadrons, and the dual bazookas and what I've experienced with them is that if you want some noise open the throttle, if you want her to settle down a bit just drive her easy. The noise factor is directly linked to the throttle and how you drive the car. Got mine from DavidO.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 14 Wed May, 2008 6:14 pm

Hey Carlos, where ya been? How about an update on your build.
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby Don » 15 Thu May, 2008 7:14 am

Bill K wrote:I even found a polish that will take the bluing off the pipes.

Bill, what polish are you using?
1967 Dune Buggy - aka Shrek
Don
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk