Clutch Cable...

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Clutch Cable...

Postby Rick Lyon » 20 Sun Apr, 2008 9:33 pm

Clutch cable came off the loop on the clutch pedal last night. Tore down the pedal assembly this afternoon and after several tries to keep the cable on the loop when reinstalling same (and tightening the 17MM bolts to the tunnel), it became evident that the clutch pedal should have a stop on it to prevent it from coming forward and hitting the floorboard, thus allowing the eyelet to come off the loop. Looking on the bottom of the clutch pedal is a stop, but it appears to be worn. My real question is though, where and what does this stop hit to prevent the clutch pedal from going back to the floorboard..??? I'm sure this is simple but I don't see what stops the clutch pedal from coming forward. The pedal shaft is good and the pin is not sheared, there's just nothing stopping the clutch pedal from coming forward and releasing the loop. Yes, I did ty-rap the eyelet to the loop when re-installing but when that clutch pedal heads to the floor out she comes...

Any and all help appreciated... :?:

Thanks,

Rick
Great Time This Weekend in Fredericksburg..!!!
Rick Lyon
Buggy Builder

Postby MURZ » 20 Sun Apr, 2008 10:00 pm

Rick, all I can say is MAN!!! sorry this happened. Here is a pic of the setup. I just used a tab with a weld bead across the bottom for a stop. You may try shimming that stop with two flat washers to create more of a stop. That pedal assembly is a 60's unit...not a 73. Also take a look at this thread. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289640 Might want to keep an extra clutch cable and one of those harbor freight deals in the trailer...for just in case.

Another pic...not from your buggy...but for reference.

Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Murz...You Still Da Man...

Postby Rick Lyon » 20 Sun Apr, 2008 11:16 pm

Was gonna give you a call this PM but thought my "Warranty" had run out... :lol:

That tab is still there but it has shifted over to one side which allowed the problem to happen to the clutch pedal and cable... Another question, is this the stop for the brake pedal as well..??? Appears to be but thought I would ask...Obviously the brake pedal has the spring return on it but didn't know it this tab was for the brake and the clutch pedals...Please advise when you have a chance...

Regardless, things happen...These are just cars...We managed to get in some serious riding and when it happened we had just returned from dinner...No Harm, No Foul, except for the guys moaning when they pushed me up the ramp into the trailer... 8-)

Anyway, we missed you and everyone was talking about next year when hopefully ol' Murz will show up...You definitely have a fan base...Met some more really nice people and re-acquainted ourselves with some folks we had met previously...

Thanks for the help, Michael...

Talk to you later...

Rick
Rick Lyon
Buggy Builder

Postby MURZ » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 6:58 am

The tab is for both the clutch and brake pedal. Do this, remove the stop tab and weld a some 1/8 square stock to it. That should do the trick. Just extend the square stock(you know like they use for keyways) a little longer on each edge.

Better yet, I will make you a new stop today and mail it to you. PM me your address.

Rick, as far as warranty, you never turn your back on "children". That car wasn't sold...just adopted :lol: :lol: :lol:
Madisonville La

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 8:51 am

The stop is made....ready to ship :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used the pics and my vert as a guide. Just drill the hole, and bolt in.
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 9:23 am

Rick,
Murz seems to have you well taken care of, but just one suggestion when re-installing your pedal cluster. To keep the cable on the hook when sliding it into the tunnel I use a small plastic zip tie and "zip" the cable onto the hook as tight as I can. Doesn't impede the performance of the cable but certainly stops some aggravation.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Hey Murzi

Postby Texasbuggys » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 1:30 pm

Hey Murzi, here is a sneek peek at what you guys missed! It was a great time with great folks! Really had a great time!
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

more

Postby Texasbuggys » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 1:31 pm

Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby big balls magee » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 1:33 pm

i wanted to go on the cruise but no one called me and told me about it
big balls magee
Buggy Driver

Postby MURZ » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 1:39 pm

Man, that looks fun....

If anyone has any god pics of "Tater" as Rick and Pat call it :lol: :lol: Please forward them to me. I really don't have many pics other than construction shots and a few shows.

michaelmurzi "at" charter.net
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

pics

Postby Texasbuggys » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 1:46 pm

Here is one that proves we were in Texas! Free roaming cattle!

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

pics

Postby Texasbuggys » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 1:47 pm

Here is one most would expect to see!

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 1:47 pm

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 1:48 pm

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 1:49 pm

Texasbuggys Booth next to Sewfine

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 1:56 pm

Here is one of the the best shots of the trip! After us getting caught at a red line when trying to keep the entire group of about 200 cars together on the event cruise we got seperated so when the light turned green Bryan was , as Bryan does, romping on the gas and left the cop in the lane next to him literally in his chunks of rubber! At the next light the cops pulls up and asks where is that group going? So Bryan tells him we don't know that is why we are trying to catch them and the Fredricksberg finest helps out and say" Well lets go catch them!" This was a 45 mile zone at a little over 60!

I was trying to get the video to come up but this all happened in a flash and it was over but still a great photo op!

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 2:01 pm

Gotta love that lil pit bull stance on Bryan's car. MEAN!!!!
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 21 Mon Apr, 2008 2:15 pm

check out the events link for some slide show pics, I know you guys that could not make it were waiting for pics so here is a few to get ya going. Check'm under the events forum area

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Thanks for Everyone's Help...

Postby Rick Lyon » 22 Tue Apr, 2008 12:09 am

I don't mind having a problem as long as I know what the root cause is, and now I know...

jspbtown...Thanks for the tip on getting that darn cable to stay on the clutch hook...I said a few bad things in the garage yesterday when that thing came out the third time...

Really do appreciate everyone's help...

Thanks...Rick

PS...I learned another thing as I was all contorted under that dash yesterday...It's possbile to pinch fat, and it hurt :o ...Didn't know you could do that...
Rick Lyon
Buggy Builder

Postby MURZ » 25 Fri Apr, 2008 11:02 pm

Rick, did you get the new "stop"? Also I see you put the seat belts back where they designed to go.
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Got It Friday Afternoon...

Postby Rick Lyon » 27 Sun Apr, 2008 11:20 am

MURZ wrote:Rick, did you get the new "stop"? Also I see you put the seat belts back where they designed to go.

Thanks for making that piece, Murz...

Thought about having it patented and then we could have some revenue coming in... 8-)

Will try to get it in this PM...No promises as my other set of hands are MIA right now...

10-4 on the seat belts... ;-)

Talk to you later...

Rick
Rick Lyon
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk