Swing Axle Questions

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Swing Axle Questions

Postby CoryN » 17 Thu Apr, 2008 1:40 pm

I have my swing axle all cleaned up and painted and ready to reinstall on the pan. Couple of questions.

I've got new bearings, gaskets, o-rings, seals and new boots. Are these things prone to leaking at the flange (don't know the proper name) on the transaxle where you attach the boot? It appears there is a gasket there. Obviously this isn't under pressure, and I would think that it wouldn't leak here, unless it just seeps out. I don't want to fill this back up and have it leaking all over the garage and new paint.

Secondly, when I drained it, I didn't find any evidence of any metal shavings, but it was plenty dirty and the drain plug was covered with like the consistency of mud. Should I do anything to flush it out first before refilling?

(sorry for all the posts, just trying to drum up some traffic on this site, we went like 3 days without a post last week)

Cory
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 17 Thu Apr, 2008 3:36 pm

I usually just leave them alone. I obviously put new boots on (make sure the screws are oriented correctly if your using the split boots), then drain it out and replace the gear oil with synthetic gear oil. Never had a problem. Oh yeah...I do replace the input shaft seal just so I don't have to yank the engine if it leaks. As long as the gaskets look like they aren't leaking around the axles I leave them be.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 17 Thu Apr, 2008 4:15 pm

I guess I'll wait and see then. There was plenty of crud all over the tranny that I had to clean up, it had to have come from somewhere, hopefully from the boots.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 17 Thu Apr, 2008 9:14 pm

The crud is pretty amazing on these things. I'll post a pic of mine on friday. Too tired tonight...
Just think tho, it took 45 years or so to get it that dirty. Considering that fact.....if it was leaking it would be REALLY dirty.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 17 Thu Apr, 2008 11:53 pm

The crud is there because they are leaking. They are not under pressure, but if you replace the gaskets, set the amount of free play of the flange to the side plate or you will have problems.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby jspbtown » 18 Fri Apr, 2008 8:03 am

I think most leaks are from old deterioated boots.

Here is a pic of mine before cleaning ( iknow...you can just barely see it):

Then during the detailing:

And installed:

Filled it up with synthetic and not a leak to be found.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 18 Fri Apr, 2008 7:22 pm

I'm modeling mine after yours, its the same color and I did the pan in the truck liner black. I haven't put the diamond plate in yet.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 18 Fri Apr, 2008 7:24 pm

David O' wrote:The crud is there because they are leaking. They are not under pressure, but if you replace the gaskets, set the amount of free play of the flange to the side plate or you will have problems.

I've seen several references to that now - I am surprised that it would make much difference in the free play.

Could you use a liquid gasket? To keep from having to pull the axles out?
CoryN
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk