Frame painting

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Frame painting

Postby Keith Wenzel » 13 Thu Mar, 2008 6:44 pm

Has anyone used POR-15 and if so, what tips would you pass on to someone using it for the first time?
Father and Son Projects
Keith Wenzel
Buggy Driver

Postby Duner » 13 Thu Mar, 2008 9:06 pm

my experiences with it are somewhat mixed. To get the best performance out of the product you need to prep the metal more thoroughly than the instructions suggest. This goes back to everything that I learned when painting cars (prep is 90% of the job).

Second the product does not store well once exposed to atmosphere, so only buy the quantity that you will utilize in a short period of time. several months later what was left in the can was not good so it is better if you buy a couple of small cans and only use what you need.

other than that it seems to perform relatively well and the cleaner the metal the better the result for stopping rust.
Duner
Buggy Nut

Postby Don » 13 Thu Mar, 2008 9:17 pm

Is it clearly superior to say, Rustoleum, which is easy and cheap?
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 13 Thu Mar, 2008 9:53 pm

yes, much better than rustoleum. If you'll have it under carpet, you don't need to top coat it. It doesn't like the sun, must be a morlock :lol: anybody out there a Jules Verne fan? Iknow, who's Jules Verne?)
However, the topcoat stuff does a great job of protecting it from ultraviolet rays. I recommend it.

It goes on easy, but WEAR GLOVES, that stuff does not come off.

There's some other stuff similar to POR15 called Rust Bullet, I think Eastwood sells it. Some like it better than POR15, some don't.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Gary Dam » 14 Fri Mar, 2008 9:34 pm

Just painted the frame and we used this paint called Hammerite. Comes in spray and brush on. Don't know how long it will last but it looks pretty good and it didn't need any prep work or 2 steps. The brush on seems real thick. Bruce Meyers recommended using this stuff on the roll cage for the Manxter. I will try to post pictures of the pan.
Gary
Gary Dam
Buggy Builder

POR is great!

Postby garthom » 15 Sat Mar, 2008 11:05 am

I have used it on 2 buggy frames, a trailer frame & wouldn't use anything else. Sandblasted metal works better but it will work on properly prepared bare, even rusty metal. I used a foam 2 inch brush & it flowed out like I spray painted it. As an experiment I brushed a spot on a rusty piece of plate on a welding table out in the weather without preparation & after 5 years, it hasnt rusted yet! It is expensive but to me it is worth it.
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
garthom
Buggy Builder

Postby Don » 16 Sun Mar, 2008 2:13 pm

Gary Dam wrote:Just painted the frame and we used this paint called Hammerite.

Did you find it locally or did you have to mail order it?

Don
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby Gary Dam » 16 Sun Mar, 2008 2:49 pm

No I tried but no luck. I found it on-line from a place call TCP Global, out of San Diego. They shipped really fast. One quart can will cover both sides of the pan. The spray can stuff goes real fast. I think I used 10 cans on the roll cage and side intrusion bars. But its looks pretty good. Hope that helps.
Gary and Annie
Gary Dam
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk