Turbo

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Turbo

Postby Russhebert » 12 Tue Feb, 2008 6:38 pm

Ok I need your help again. I am building a turbo motor and don't have a lot of knowledge of vw motors. I have an aluminum case and it has steel crank. I am going to build a set of stock heads with stainless steel valves and I am going to port the heads. What do I need to do to the motor on the inside to get it ready. I figure a good set of rods and forged pistons. but I am not sure. I will be using a T-3 Turbo and about 3to 5 lbs of boost. I will be shooting for around 200 HP. The case and parts I have now are 1600 dual port.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby Aquabuggy » 12 Tue Feb, 2008 7:06 pm

Russell, Check out this thread on shoptalk, tons of good info on turbos.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Be sure to keep us posted on your progress. I was thinking of building a turbo motor myself but got to get the green buggy done first.
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 13 Wed Feb, 2008 1:46 am

I don't think I've ever heard of a 1600 with 2-3 lbs. boost that makes 200 horsepower..what's your blueprint? I'm interested
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Russhebert » 13 Wed Feb, 2008 6:38 am

I say the case now is a 1600 but I will do machine work on the case and build it up to what ever it needs to be to get to 200 hp. Thanks for the web site Chris lots of good info.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby MURZ » 13 Wed Feb, 2008 11:41 am

Build a 2276 with 5.394 rods, 40x35 heads, and a 120 cam. 160 hp all day long and will go together like stock. My advice...get Rick Lyon to take you on a "joy ride"....or Raymond in "wild thang"...he has almost the same engine.

Then add the turbo with say 5 lbs and bingo 200-220 hp.

Downside to hp
Total cost 2800 for the 2276, 3200 for the fuel injection and turbo setup.

Add another 1200 for the tranny, 600 for the 930 cv's and hubs.

Aint gonna be cheap.....
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Russhebert » 13 Wed Feb, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks for the info. I have the new aluminum case and I will have the machine work so I can order the parts and build the 2276. I was not planing to run fuel injection. I have an intake with a 650 holley I think will work. So you are saying to get a better trans and better cv's to handle the hp. I hqve heard that some people go with a blow through turbo but I want to use a suck through carb setup. Do you see a problem with that?
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby MURZ » 13 Wed Feb, 2008 6:54 pm

No problems with a carb, I would go smaller though maybe a 390 cfm. You will need to make sure the turbo has a carbon seal though. Lock the 009 dizzy to about 22 degrees, and hang on.

The tranny is something that will be definetly needed for that HP. I ran a tranny out of a 76 super beetle and it seems it is holding up, (god knows it was pounded on) :lol: which is the strongest stock tranny you can get. It has a single side cover, thicker webbing and a solid side cover.

What is the goal? Cruising, Racing, Street terror? :lol: :lol:

Before you spend "all" the money, go ride in either my old car, Bryan Porter's car, or Wild Thangs. The power will scare ya. A 2276 in a 1200 lb buggy is plenty......
Madisonville La

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Russhebert » 13 Wed Feb, 2008 7:45 pm

This is going in a sand rail that I am bhilding to go play in the dunes and I want it to be scarry. I also have another question about my Buggy. I have a 1800 stroker on it 110 cam stock heads. I ran the timing at about 30 degrees and I put a msd system on it with distributor ' msd 6A box and msd coil. I have been playing with timing and I am fairly new to vw's and I have heard to not put timing past about 30 to 32. I have changed the springs on the distributor till I got the right ones and playing with the timing I am setting on about 40 to 41 and she runs great, not running rich any more and not stalling between gears any more. Is there something wrong with the timing being that high because it runs all good. Thanks a lot for your help I am lucky to have such good friends.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby MURZ » 13 Wed Feb, 2008 8:05 pm

Initial timing should be about 10-12 degrees BTDC and total 28-32 MAX with a mechanical advance dizzy. Now with a vacuum advance like a SVDA, it is not uncommon to see 40-42 total under light load. I would say 40-41 is waay too high with a centrifugal advance dizzy.

here is some typical advance curves. I run the 010 and love it.

What is your initial timing at idle?

Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 13 Wed Feb, 2008 9:38 pm

Russ, after thinking about your build, I think you may better off to source an engine. A 2.3 turbo ford in a rail would be nice and fairly cheap, or even consider a whole drivetrain out of a 3.8 buick, oldsmobile, pontiac. Supercharged they put out 240 hp and gobs of torque, heck even naturatually aspirated they rock. I bet you could buy a whole running car for 2500 and graft the whole front subframe into the rear of rail. Parts would be cheap and that sucker would be super reliable. Think about it.

3.0 honda using 914 tranny....mid engine??
2.3 ford turbo and bus tranny???
3.8 Gm and GM tranny
2.5 subaru and tranny ...mid engine

Just some ideas :roll: :roll:
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk