shifter question

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

shifter question

Postby Rustybuggy » 05 Sat Jan, 2008 8:55 pm

Sorry I have so many questions but I don't have anyone around with any buggy or Vw know how ... I put my shifter in today and this is the outcome

looks to me like the coupler is too far back in the hole I may need add some to the length of the shift rod anyone have any words for me ?
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
Rustybuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby Bryan Porter » 06 Sun Jan, 2008 9:53 am

Is it in gear pop it forward to find neutral it should twist bark and forth and be in the middle of the hole and push rods need to be the same lingth post a pic of the engine maybe I will have what you need and I am close by in pinehurst
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Rustybuggy » 06 Sun Jan, 2008 11:23 am

I am pretty sure i am in netural I pushed it in the garage that way but I will check it again to be sure here is a pic of the engine # is D147331x
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
Rustybuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby jspbtown » 06 Sun Jan, 2008 4:08 pm

What style shift coupler are you using? Based on that little knob next to your shifter you have an older chassis. Are you using th older style coupler? Is it lined up correctly on the transmission? So the set screw goes into the dimple?
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby Rustybuggy » 06 Sun Jan, 2008 4:15 pm

this is what I am using and yes i have the dimple lined up on the trannie end, on the rod end I drilled the hole thur and placed a bolt in it due to the threds being stripped on the coupler and it would not hold the set screw

this is really staring to tick me off I only had peices to start with and i dont know how it was put together to begin with. The shift rod was bent out of shape but i have put it back straight and replaced the support bushing I dont have my shifter yet i won't get it till tuesday ... got it off ebay for 2 bucks. the dimple in the rod did not match up with the one on the trannie ... the shifter coupling shows they should line up but the one on the rod was about 120 out so i lined up the rod to set straigth up and down and drill the tip thur and put in my bolt, but when i got it all together i noticed it looks to be too far rearward. Should the socket sit in the middle of that opening ?Also the rod is very hard to move with a screw driver.

You maybe thinking how much of a dummy I am at this point and that is ok I am totally lost at this point and I am not really sure what I am doing just trying to learn as I go here :)
Rustybuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby jspbtown » 06 Sun Jan, 2008 8:37 pm

You need to make sure your tranny is in neutral. Using a big screwdriver can you force the coupler forward at all? Also, how are your tranny mounts? Is your tranny all the way forward as it should be?

If nothing works then you can alwys buy a shift rod adjuster and weld it into the end of your shift rod.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby Rustybuggy » 08 Tue Jan, 2008 9:02 am

I think i am just going to buy a new rod and one of the weld in adjusters and a new coupling and start from scratch but i will be asking you guys how to do it when I get it all
Rustybuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby BrianB » 08 Tue Jan, 2008 1:08 pm

Rustybuggy wrote:
this is really staring to tick me off I only had peices to start with and i dont know how it was put together to begin with. The shift rod was bent out of shape but i have put it back straight
You do know that the shift rod is supposed to be bent a little RIGHT? It is not arrow straight.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Rustybuggy » 08 Tue Jan, 2008 10:55 pm

I have since found this out but this one WAS bent way out of shape now it IS arrow straight :oops: I have a new rod, coupler, weld in adjustable tip and set screws on the way. I just hope I dont screw this one up too :cry:
Rustybuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby blackthree4me » 10 Thu Jan, 2008 1:27 pm

this is really staring to tick me off I only had peices to start with and i dont know how it was put together to begin with.

You maybe thinking how much of a dummy I am at this point and that is ok I am totally lost at this point and I am not really sure what I am doing just trying to learn as I go here

Hold on there big fella
cut yourself some slack
if you think all of us got our buggys built in two weeks with no questions asked I have to laugh

all of us have had to ask except maybe Brian or Dave O LOL

take your time and enjoy the Ride
do one section at a time
make a list of what needs to be done by sections of the car
once things are completed cross them off

many buggys on the net are for sale in pieces, theres a reason.
allot of folks consider this to be an easy job it is not.
basic yes, easy no.
if you dont have a VW Manual Get ONE! Today
it makes it easy to understand how things go together for the most part if you cant find it in the manual or on the NET ask
that is what we are here for

Blackthree4me
here is what I started with
oh and there was alot more holes and without the PODS
and here is what I ended up with after 3 years
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

New shift rod in hand need some advise :)

Postby Rustybuggy » 14 Mon Jan, 2008 9:53 pm

I decided to just start over with a new uncut shift rod (univerisal type no end in the pipe on the trannie end) . I also picked up a new coupler and adjustable end that needs to welded in. So now i know i need to cut the shift rod to length but I wanted to see if anyone has done this and how to proceed i don't want to screw this up. The shift rod measures about 59 inches right now. Here is what the coupler and adjustable end peice looks like
Rustybuggy
Buggy Builder

Steve O

Postby Texasbuggys » 14 Mon Jan, 2008 10:08 pm

Give yourself more credit dude, your buggy was much further than that when you started and you took a project that someone gave up on and made one of the finest buggy examples showing and you did most of the work yourself and you shopped to obtain the best bang for the buck and man did you do a great job! Again, hats off to the builder! Oh that is you the Steve O!!! Then to go and put together a fine Ghia! Whew, another qualitity VW from the "O" Garage!
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk