yet another question ( push rods )

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

yet another question ( push rods )

Postby Rustybuggy » 05 Sat Jan, 2008 8:43 pm

I just bought a new push rod to replace a bent one and the one that came in is a hair longer will this cause me trouble or is it ok to use. My thought was a push rod is a push rod and the valve adjustment will take care of the length difference... please tell me if I am wrong

"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
Rustybuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby David O' » 07 Mon Jan, 2008 7:25 am

IF the pushrod is that much longer, you won't have enough adjustment to make it work. Either shorten the push rod you got, or buy enough to get the complete set, and set the rocker shaft to get the valve train geometry right.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 07 Mon Jan, 2008 8:56 am

The longer pushrod is for a late 40hp. The shorter pushrods are for a early 40hp. You need to find another early 40hp, short pushrod or you can mess up your valve guides.
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 07 Mon Jan, 2008 9:05 am

Rustybuggy you have a pm
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Rustybuggy » 07 Mon Jan, 2008 10:06 pm

I found a guy about 30 miles away that had a ton of used vw parts he dug thur like 200 push rods and was able to find 1 that matched mine I gave him 5 dollars for it :) just hope i dont need another one.... ty for the help guys
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
Rustybuggy
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk