front susp.

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

front susp.

Postby Old Buggy » 02 Tue Oct, 2007 1:20 pm

after reading some on the berren buggy site, it sound has if the early king pin susp would better/stronger then the later ball jiont set up.

what are the pros and cons of each.

I know I asked alot of questions, but I just want to start in the right direction!

thanks!
Will
LOOKIN FOR A BUGGY
Old Buggy
Buggy Builder

Postby GregR » 02 Tue Oct, 2007 3:20 pm

GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Buggy1 » 02 Tue Oct, 2007 4:25 pm

The link pin is the stronger of the front ends, it suffers from one drawback. The replacement bushings must be drilled and honed to the proper demention for the perfect fit. Also most people who take the front ends apart do not count the spacers in the links so they can be put together in the right order. They must be put in the right order or you have problems.

The ball joint front end is the weeker but the ball joints can be replaced usually easier than the link pins. I say usually because I have seen some that had been in the spindles so long they had to be cut out.

David O at Aircoole has the right tools to do both front ends.

I for one always will go with the link pin if it is my choice, David O has done most of the buggies that I have owned and the link pin front ends never have broken down even with off roading. Buggies weigh so little that the normal ware and tear on the front end is minimal.

My choice, ALink pin and forget ever having to replace them again, if they are done right. Yo should never have to replace them again.

Neal :D
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 02 Tue Oct, 2007 4:25 pm

My two cents worth would be that the ball joint beam suspensions are stronger, due to the the parts being thicker in all areas. It depends on what the beam is being used for. If it is for street, and strength is the issue due to hard driving....ball joint.
If it is for off road, the link pin suspensions will move farther without breaking stuff......not counting shock limits. They can have the spindles beafed up to where they won't bend.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

beams

Postby Texasbuggys » 03 Wed Oct, 2007 8:56 pm

I agree with David on this one. If building a street buggy, go with the later parts {ball joint beam} if going for a true off road buggy, you will go with a link pin setup but it will be a highly modified one to handle the abuse so in the end if going for off road it will be of link pin style but almost all aftermarket. I personally build all with BJ for the ease of repair and readilly available parts from anyone handling VW parts. If you chose the BJ you can go up or down with adjustable beams and spindles.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Old Buggy » 04 Thu Oct, 2007 8:03 am

is there any handling issues with either one on the street, I may just going with what ever I find in decent shape.
LOOKIN FOR A BUGGY
Old Buggy
Buggy Builder

Postby David O' » 04 Thu Oct, 2007 2:34 pm

No!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk