Wheel adapters

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Wheel adapters

Postby CoilMan » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 1:28 pm

Any of you using wheel adapters to allow Chevy or Ford wheel? I am just thinking of it for wheel selection options.

My car is a street rail, that sees some rough dirty-road driving at most. I have a 4-130mm lug, at present.

Would appreciate any comments.

Ken
CoilMan

Postby GregR » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 1:55 pm

The adapters seem to do OK ffor highway driving. If you intend to do any Off-Roading though, you might want to stay away from them. I had adapters for Chevy on my buggy (street only) and had no problems with them. I now have 4 wheel disc brakes drilled for Ford pattern.

You might consider getting blank drums and having them drilled for either Chevy or Ford pattern and having the studs pressed in. One of our sponsors shold be able to help you with more info on that.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby sdbills » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 7:04 pm

Yea I've got 4-130mm lug bolts too. Sure is hard starting those lug bolts when your taking wheels on and off.
I had money before I built my DuneBuggy!
sdbills
Buggy Dude

Postby blackthree4me » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 8:59 pm

I bought drums and disk drilled for chevy pattern
it was kinda pricey got mine from So Call imports
save yourself some cash have someone do the holes
and put the studs in yourself its easy
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby LowFatBug » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 9:35 pm

sdbills wrote:Yea I've got 4-130mm lug bolts too. Sure is hard starting those lug bolts when your taking wheels on and off.
they make stud kits that come with threaded studs and chrome nuts. 2 things that make them even easier is use lock-tite on the drum side of the stud ans put some grease on the lug side and you will never have any problems.
LowFatBug
Buggy Builder

Postby LowFatBug » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 9:38 pm

any machine shop can redrill for any lug pattern you want and press the studs in.
LowFatBug
Buggy Builder

Postby Bill K » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 10:52 pm

I've run adaptors on several buggies, and never had a bit of a problem. BUT, that was strictly for on-street use.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Buggy1 » 11 Tue Sep, 2007 9:15 am

If your going to do any serious road work with your buggy, go with the drums that are made for the chevy pattern. airCooledParts.com has the right setups for drums and disk. I prefer made items over redrilled items as the more you drill into the drum or disk the weeker the item becomes.........safety first!
I have been there and seen a wheel come off when the drum shattered from the hard driving I was doing.
Neal
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk