Alternator

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Alternator

Postby staggerwing » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 9:17 am

Okay, I'm somewhat electrically challenged but more "chicken" to make a connection to something that I'm not sure of before I do and fry it. Wiring is about all that's left on this buggy project and I have a friend that is helping with that. I asked him about the alternator connections but didn't really like his answer so here I am.

I have a Bosch Alternator and see that it has a "B+" connector on it and next to that is a terminal for a female connector. Could someone shed some light on how to hook this think up so I can keep the battery charged while I continue trouble shooting this fouled plug problem.

I'll probably be back with another post about the fouled plugs.
Thanks

Hey Bill:
Tweaked the front end this weekend and she rides/steers better but I think she needs a little more "softening" maybe via "less air in the tires". Sitting at 20 lbs and will try 18 then 15 to see how that changes things. Had a blast cruising up and down the road in fron of our house but after a few miles she starting running bad again with this fouled plug thing that is becoming apparent as we add "drive time" to the project. One thing for sure... buggies are WAY cool!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 10:06 am

The B+ terminal is where you attach the alternator to the positive side of the battery-car. (There should be a hot lead coming from the battery to the car and the starter. You can hook the B+ wire to the starter if this is the case) If there is a large red wire coming from the front of the car to the back where the engine is, then connect the wire to the alternator post and the other large red wire to the battery.
The female terminal is the connection to the dash light that tells you that the alternator is charging or not. It should have power to the light when the key is on. Once the alternator starts to charge, then the current can't flow down that wire, and the light goes out. No light=no charge. I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

alternator

Postby staggerwing » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 10:42 am

Thanks David:
Ran a wire to the starter solenoid (B+). Measured 12.6V with the car off. Started engine and measured the same.? Does the voltage have to drop to a specific level before charging occurs? Or should I be measuring something higher than 12.6V with the engine running?
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 10:45 am

Did you hook up the dash light.....it should read higher than that, but remember, you have to increase the engine speed at least once to get the alternator to start charging.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

alternator

Postby staggerwing » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 10:46 am

Sorry, I guess I should reword that a bit after reading it.

Ran a wire from the B+ terminal on the alternator to the starter solenoid (B+). Measured 12.6V at the B+ terminal on the alternator with the car off. Started engine and measured it again, looking for something higher than 12.6, and I got the same thing.? Does the voltage have to drop to a specific level before charging occurs? Or should I be measuring something higher than 12.6V with the engine running?
Buggyholic

alternator

Postby staggerwing » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 10:52 am

No dash light David. The only thing wired so far on this buggy is the ignition.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 11:23 am

you need a dash light or something. I believe it acts as an "exciter" for the alternator or generator which won't start charging without a warning light in the sytem.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby CoilMan » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 11:44 am

Yep, the light is an "exciter" and the alternator will not begin to release a charge until there is this load in the circuit.

Ken
CoilMan

alternator

Postby staggerwing » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 1:22 pm

Hey thanks for the picture! David O. explained things to me in detail just prior to seeing your post. Thanks for the help guys! Can't wait to get home and hook this stuff up...
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby sdbills » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 7:56 pm

That is correct. You must have an "idiot"/ALT dash light. Connect one wire to the IGN/ACC connection, the other wire to the alternator. Do not connect anything to ground. When you turn the key switch on, you send twelve volts to the light and it lights up. When you start the engine you are still sending twelve volts to the light from the Ign switch but you are also sending 14 volts to the light from the alternator, giving you a -2 volts, making the light go out.
Sounds crazy but it works.
I had money before I built my DuneBuggy!
sdbills
Buggy Dude

Postby MURZ » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 8:15 pm

Don't use a LED either. It must be a bulb.
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

alternator

Postby staggerwing » 10 Mon Sep, 2007 8:40 pm

When you start the engine you are still sending twelve volts to the light from the Ign switch but you are also sending 14 volts to the light from the alternator, giving you a -2 volts, making the light go out.
Sounds crazy but it works.

That sounds crazy and I'm glad Murz jumped in to tell me NOT TO use an LED. Didn't have time to grab one on the way home but will tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch for the help![/quote]
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk