Regulator Adjustment

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Regulator Adjustment

Postby Bill K » 23 Sat Jun, 2007 8:51 pm

Recently I installed a generator since my old one up and died on me. Now I'm getting too much of a good thing. When the engine is revved, or at crusing speed it is charging 15 to 15.5 volts. I changed out the regulator for a new one, and still the same thing. I was advised to get a Bosch regulator, so I did, and still the same thing.
Can a regulator be adjusted, and/or will it hurt anything to accept what it's doing and keep driving the car?
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby LowFatBug » 27 Wed Jun, 2007 11:22 pm

did you get a new gen or buy a rebuilt? if it is a rebuilt that is probably your problem and hopefully you got one with a life time warranty from autozone or Oreilly's, run it til it quits and take it back for replacement.

on the electric components use Bosch (volt regs, points, caps, rotors) on plugs use only Bosch supers (not platinum) the only things to get from autozone and other such places are gens and starters, alternators are a coin toss.

do not get rebuild carbs from them because chances are the carbs they have were not worth rebuilding and even though they are "life time" also is it worth your time to change them out every time you turn around when you can spend a few dollars more for a new one and not have worry about it again?

another thing to stay away from at the chain stores are the fuel pumps,
life span on 70% of those (from my experience) is 2 months
LowFatBug
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk