Dune Buggy Insurance

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Dune Buggy Insurance

Postby Patrick » 18 Sun Jun, 2006 12:07 pm

What get's me is when I call Insurance Companies about getting insurance for the Buggy. I've tried to get full coverage. I've found a couple that will insure it for full coverage once the buggy is completed but it took over 200 emails to find the right companies to insure it.

One major Company told me they would not insure the Dune Buggy due to it being a "Risk Hazard". Meaning that they believe Dune Buggies are Death Traps. I said to the person when did you hear that a Dune Buggy was in a major wreck on the freeway and people were killed? They could not tell me. I said to them what about Motorcycles you insure them and people get killed on them every single day. They said they are safer than Dune Buggies. Not from this article that I found on Yahoo today. See below:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060618/ap_ ... le_helmets

Just last week a guy down the road from us.. Well see the news story.
http://news.galvestondailynews.com/stor ... 6f69fb54f4

So, when is the last time you heard that a Dune Buggy smashed into someone and the people got thrown out and injured? I think insurance Companies should insure us with Full Coverage just like the Motorcycles in our country. Well down here it's mostly the motorcycles problem as we have young kids that think they can go 100mph on the bike and swerve in and out of cars like we are cones. If you do that your going to end up dead one way or the other when a car tries to move out of your way.
Patrick
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 18 Sun Jun, 2006 8:46 pm

I couldn't agree more. Why motorcycles, but not dune buggies? Crazy.
Unfortunately, when you say dune buggy, the first and only thing that comes to insurance company's minds is a buggy jumping dunes on the beach.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby bobaganoosh » 18 Sun Jun, 2006 9:50 pm

call them back and tell them you have a vintage fiberglass kit car :lol:
mike
It aint for show, but it sho will go.
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby MURZ » 18 Sun Jun, 2006 9:55 pm

Progressive was the only one that would touch my car.
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 19 Mon Jun, 2006 9:00 am

don't call. Go in and speak to the insurance rep that handles all of your other stuff. When you talk directly to an agent, especially one that also handles your 2 other cars, house, life insurance and personal property policies, they tend to be more receptive to street only VW kit car.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Keith Wenzel » 20 Tue Jun, 2006 11:09 am

When I needed my rail insured, I went to the good neighbor State Farm and there was no problem. I think I pay about 30 a month, which I feel is kind of high for as much as I drive it.
Father and Son Projects
Keith Wenzel
Buggy Driver

Postby bobaganoosh » 20 Tue Jun, 2006 4:20 pm

I took my mustangs off my statefarm policy because of a 300% price increase between policies,

they said that classic cars have not been evaluated in so long that they re evaluated them and needed to raise the rates on all classics cars due to safety features on todays newer cars.

so I went to a classic car insurance company that covers the cars and won't cover the buggy, but I only pay 150 a year for both cars and their covered for more then the value. but I can only put 3,000 miles a year on them.

mike
It aint for show, but it sho will go.
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby carlos del carpio » 20 Tue Jun, 2006 7:09 pm

but I only pay 150 a year for both cars and their covered for more then the value. but I can only put 3,000 miles a year on them.

mike

hm..my buggy doesn't have an odometer! :lol: :lol: :lol:
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion