new to building

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

new to building

Postby capmike » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 10:15 am

hey guys, im new to building buggys, my wife and i saw some of you guys in eureka over the weekend and fell in love with your buggys.After talking
it over we have decided to build one.Ive been a auto tech for 20+ years,
so that will help.any advice you guys can give would be much apreciated!
mike
capmike
Buggy Nut

Postby MURZ » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 11:03 am

Welcome to the group!!

My two cents... Buy a running beetle, IRS rear suspension, 69-up, in decent shape. Buy a prefabbed chassis. Buy a NEW buggy body. Budget for 7-8 k to build a nice one. Allow yourself at least 250 hours to do it right.

To sum it up.
NEW is better---chassis, body
Double your time estimate---trust me
Double your money estimate---trust me
Make sure you have a good understanding wife. ---TRUST me
and restating again...double your money estimate---Really a nice one will cost 8-10 grand

Good Luck. And remember.......

We will be here for you to counsel you with your addiction........

My name is Michael Murzi, and I have been "build free" for 77 days now......

member # 4267 Dune Buggy Anonymous

MURZ
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Carlton Dollery » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 12:23 pm

Well you said a mouth full MURZ, and all of it true. I think the most important thing is the understanding wife. It took me 4 years and a sack full of cash, the last year with wife doubting that the car would ever see the pavement.

Good luck and welcome to the group.
Carlton Dollery
Buggy Driver

Postby David Head » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 2:01 pm

I agree, to build a show buggy, it will cost a pretty penny. However, you can build one less expensive. I would say that it could be done on a budget if you did the paint yourself, for about 4 or 5 thousand. something else you might consider. Buy a used buggy off the net. Drive it, discover what you like about it and what you don't like about it. Than you will know what you want. Remember to get advice here before you buy anything. We've all made numerous mistakes. Learn from our mistakes. It will save time and money and a lot of frustration. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 2:43 pm

Learning from us is great advice. David is so right about making numerous mistakes. I made a lot, and they cost me $$$$.
I've stated many times that if I build another buggy I'll be able to build it a lot faster, and for a lot less money because of what I learned from my build.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Gunfighter » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 3:23 pm

Here's another view.
Find a car you like.
Approach the owner and see how much it will take for him to part with his pride and joy. In spite of what he or she will tell you, most, not all but most of us have a price. The only question is how much.
When he or she gives you their price don't stop to think, don't hesitate, don't say well I don't know or let me think about it. Simply hand them the cash, turn the key and drive away happy. Broke and tormenting yourself about spending that much money, but happy just the same.
This way instead of your dream car bleeding you to death (cash wise) a little at a time over a long period of time, you take the hit all at once and get it over with. This way you only have to answer to your wife once instead of several times over the next few to several years :roll:
Besides a couple of weeks of driving the car and associating with this group and you'll forget all about the expense it took to get you where you are. ;-) The complaints about how much you spent will be drowned out by those ceramic bazooka's as you cruise happily down the highway.
The little cars are just that much fun to own and drive.
Now if you are a glutton for punishment and are prepared for some frustration, and a lot of hard work, start from scratch. But be prepared. Although these little jewels look simple they are quite complex when it comes to putting one together unless you don't care how it looks. And trust me, WE all care. There are no straight or plum lines anywhere. No flat sides, bottoms or backs either and even the kits don't always fit like a they are supposed to. But if you have the stamina, physically, emotionally and financially one day your buggy dreams will become reality and when someone asks."Man that car is awesome. Did you build it." You can reply simply "YEP"!
Best of luck to you in which ever road you travel down. And like the others have said between all of us we have encountered most every question you will come up with so don't hesitate to ask for help or advice.
Phew, that was a mouthful! 8-)
65 Beetle-Chigger
71 Ghia Vert-Gert
Gunfighter
Buggy Builder

Postby capmike » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 6:41 pm

guys, thanks for the warm welcome.I dont have any problems with the
wife because she wants one as bad as i do.I love to build things,my other
hobby is rc aircraft.Ive found a 74 bug thats a pretty good deal,for a donor car. Ill let you know how it go's. Ive got a ton of Questions,but I guess ill have to take it one step at a time.
capmike
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 8:29 pm

See you at the Buggy Blast next year, if not sooner. You are about to embark on a fantastic hobby, and make some rock-solid friends.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 8:38 pm

a '74? Make sure it's a Type 1 and not a Super Beetle....
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Frontloader » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 9:49 pm

Building one is not fast work. At least for me. The first time I built one, (35 years ago) it took about 5 months. Had some help for a lot of the cleaning grunt work.

Now I am basically rebuilding it again and it probably will take 5 months again. Glass body has been left in place but everything is being taken apart and replaced as necessary.

If you have the money, buy a nice used one from someone. This way you are on the road quickly and not spending all your spare time for months building a buggy. You learn a lot building one but you also learn a lot owning one and keeping it going and improving on it.

Today there is a 100 times more info available then there was in the late '60s. Back then I had a half dozen paper backs to help me get the work done. For the guy who can do it, go buy one and start having fun now.

Ed
Frontloader
Buggy Driver

Postby carlos del carpio » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 9:55 pm

mY FIRST advice is safety... I don't care how 'into' a project one is in, without an eye, or finger, etc... it gets rather sad... When you grind or drill, eye shields. Gloves when you cut sheet metal..etc.etc... Jacks AND jack stands... I have pics of that happens to people who ONLY used jacks.... I say USED, cause they're DEAD.

Other than that, have fun. Mistakes on components are easily and sometimes cheaply replaced. Practice drilling and sanding fiberglass by a trip to any car dealership..they toss damaged fiberglass panels, I've grabbed a couple to use practicing here and there, etc...

Use other buggys as a 'creative springboard' on your buggy project..I don't recommend copying exactly what others do..always make it your own, with a hint of your influences from other members/buggies..

Music or TV. I notice stresses are reduced with the buggy project when I have music in the background, or if you are as forunate as I am, to have a TV on a mount in the garage.. nothing beats Paul Sr. yelling to Pauly Jr. on that motorcyle show when I'm working :lol: "DAMMMMNIT PAULY! WORK FASTER!!" hahah

Remember the 'weakest link' theory, and if a nut or bolt seems worn, don't use it, replace it. It would be horrible for an accident or mishap due to 'saving a penny' or one little bolt...

other than that, have fun, ask questions! yay! welcome
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 10:02 pm

Again, make sure the donor bug has a ball joint front end. If it is a Super Beetle with a Strut front end, it is useless to you.
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby BuggymanJohn » 14 Wed Jun, 2006 10:51 pm

My last car I built in 2 weeks. New frame from Hawkeye, sent back for modification for automatic trans, then paint frame, body paint, asm and run wiring etc. I was shooting a deadline for a club cruise to Ark. I got it running just in time but a leaking trans seal kept it home but not me. I know that most people do not have the time to spend on such a short time frame. However, the longer you take, the more likely you are to get discouraged. Talk to knowledgable people about decisions on components and what work best.They have already made their mistakes and will guide you down the right track. Feel free to post any question however small. Good people are willing and ready to answer. Good luck
BuggymanJohn
Buggy Nut

Postby MURZ » 15 Thu Jun, 2006 8:12 am

David Head wrote:Again, make sure the donor bug has a ball joint front end. If it is a Super Beetle with a Strut front end, it is useless to you.

David, if he builds a car using a hawkeye or similar frame he could use everything from a super except he would have to aquire a beam.....no biggie. Now if he shortens the chassis he still can cut the framehead off and weld on a ball joint frame head. I agree though, unless he is getting a great deal on the super, pass on it and wait for a standard beetle.

MURZ
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby buggyryan » 15 Thu Jun, 2006 11:14 am

yea definitly check what you are buying as a donor and then when you think it is ok re-check it again. i have learned ther hard way buying a supposedly running buggy only to find out the engine is not rebuildable, the floor pan had more hidden rust and cancer than i thought possible, the tranny blown, so i ended up spending 1500 for a fiberglass body. sucked but now with a new positive attitude and another 400 spent on a kic but pan david o built for me, i am finally on the way. also dont think like i did that building a good vw motor is cheap. i am into mine for almost 1200 with machine work done and still have not started assembling it. sigh it is the long goal i have to remeber...lol but with all these guys keeping me going it will turn out just like i want it. remeber it takes hard work to make the dream work. welcome
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby capmike » 15 Thu Jun, 2006 12:32 pm

guys,i understand about the mcpherson strut front end on a super beetle
not working. do the chassis you buy say fron hawkeyes,do they still require chassis parts from the donor car?
capmike
Buggy Nut

Postby David Head » 15 Thu Jun, 2006 12:49 pm

Yes, If Hawkeye is making you a chassis, he will need to know if you are putting a king/link or a ball joint front end on it. He will make the front end to accept either one. You can purchase a new BJ front end for about 160.00 (I'm guessing on that price) (David O can quote you on it.) Hawkeye usually request that you supply him with a core Rear End. Or he can weld in your own rear end if you have a donor. So it pays to have a doner. Another good reason for a doner is, most of the time it comes with a clear title.
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 16 Fri Jun, 2006 12:37 pm

welcome to the club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all good advice except the part about building a buggy!!!!!!!!!

I have found nothing else that comes close
built trucks, cars, race cars, and now vws
the buggy was the best at least for me
it was my first ground up build and I learned sooo mutch about VWS
it very addicting

I almost spit coke all over reading murzi and his 77 days build free coment

take your time, do your home work before starting projects, build what you like not what I like, and most of all have fun.
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby capmike » 12 Sat Aug, 2006 8:54 pm

guys,just got my berrien body and frame ordered,got a king pin front,and late irs rear for it too.cant wait to get started!I'm currently working on the
front end now,it needs new king pins,but since i'm going to use disc brakes/with dropped spindles on the front,that needs to wait.the bearings in the tubes seem to be ok,but is it better to pull them and use urethane bushings or just keep the bearings? thanks
capmike
Buggy Nut

Postby carlos del carpio » 12 Sat Aug, 2006 9:41 pm

In my opinion nothing beats bearings, but I've got bushings.. several members have 'em, and they work fine and great.... I was in a similar situation, choosing between bearings or urethane bushings... bushings worked for me, too much powdercoat overspray entered the tubes.... scraping that out would be a NIGHTMARE!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion