Club Question?

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Club Question?

Postby Faron » 07 Wed Jun, 2006 11:07 pm

I have a question for everyone in the club. Is anyone interested in a Septemberish VW gathering. I am not talking anything formal, just something fun. I was thinking perhaps at a Drag Strip, or perhaps put together a Autocross. If I am willing to head this up is anyone interested in such an event. Like I have said before, I have put together a few events for MINI Coopers. (Ask Ryan) It would be great to get us all together in one place just for FUN!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 07 Wed Jun, 2006 11:29 pm

I think a September event would be great. For what it's worth here are my thoughts. Rather that a drag strip, etc., I would suggest a park-like setting. The event would involve no judging or awards. Just shine up our cars, and gather to check out each other's work, exchange ideas, get to know each other better, etc. Just a relaxing day of looking at, and talking dune buggies.
As to food, we could have everyone provide for themselves. That would be hassle free, and everyone would be eating what they like.
Just my two cents worth.
billk
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 08 Thu Jun, 2006 8:29 am

I'm with you Bill. Someplace that has shade where we can all get together and have a cookout. Kind of like the cookout we had last Friday night. Just a get together. Maybe a poker run or cruise. Sounds like fun to me.
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 08 Thu Jun, 2006 9:41 am

pot luck supper always works well
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Russhebert » 08 Thu Jun, 2006 5:35 pm

You can count me in. That sounds great
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby Faron » 08 Thu Jun, 2006 9:08 pm

Hummm BBQ followed by a poker run, or a scavanger hunt? How about something like that?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 09 Fri Jun, 2006 11:04 pm

I think I see a plan coming together.
Bill K
Buggyholic

where abouts Faron?

Postby Texasbuggys » 09 Fri Jun, 2006 11:06 pm

Where are you thinking for the show?
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Hummmmmmm

Postby Faron » 10 Sat Jun, 2006 8:09 am

[color=darkblue]I am not sure yet! But It has been brought to my attention that even Salado was a little far South for a few of our club members. They said that once a year a trip like that is fine, but would have to think pretty hard to make that trip twice in one year. From what I can see the majority of our members live from mid to far North in the state. I thought about Houston near the water, but then again that is pretty far for a bunch as well.
Here is the MILLION DOLLAR question, this is a question for EVERYONE! Your opinion is VERY [/b] important.
It would be nice to see as many of us in one place as we can!
In a perfect world (in your opinion) where is the best city, town, State Park, or whatever. (Help me think outside the box!) to put on a Fall Texas Manx Club get together/fun run?
What would you like to do at such an event?
A.) Have a BBQ and a Poker Run
B.) Have a BBQ and Drag Race for those who want?
C.) Have a BBQ and a Autocross
PS- I will start a new thread for this question later in hopes that I reach everyone!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby bobaganoosh » 10 Sat Jun, 2006 9:26 am

I'm going to a show in september in houston maybe that would be a good place. it's called v-dubs and texas nights

it a night time show on saturday just a suggestion

mike
It aint for show, but it sho will go.
bobaganoosh
Buggy Nut

Postby David Head » 10 Sat Jun, 2006 11:15 am

How about somewhere down in Southeat Texas? Piney woods area? I'm about 3 hours from there.
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 10 Sat Jun, 2006 12:32 pm

I'm up for option A.B.C. or any others as long as its within about a 3 hour drive.
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 10 Sat Jun, 2006 12:57 pm

Salado or even closer to San Antonio or Houston is fine by me....
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby carlos del carpio » 10 Sat Jun, 2006 7:18 pm

Hm...B and C might be stretching it, no? Wouldn't that mean renting/leasing a track, insurance, fire & rescue, etc. etc.. I don't think it matters where it is, I have to drive 4 hours North just to reach San Antonio.. :cry:
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 10 Sat Jun, 2006 10:08 pm

You are right Carlos B & C have the problems you listed. I held a MINI event at Texas World Speedway for MINI's. I have all the contacts, the problem is the club is so wide spread. So it makes it even harder for the ever important LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. If we are talking about September.....
What if I were thinking about in Fiesta Texas parking lot with a small autocross?
What if I were thinking about on Canyon Lake, for Camping, BBQ, and a Poker run?
How about near a Beach in Galveston, with a BBQ, special rates in a condo, with a day & night cruise?
This early in the game I am just bouncing ideas...
Any one else have a good ideas?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 10 Sat Jun, 2006 10:37 pm

I got out my map and the Temple-Belton-Salado area looks like an equi-distant spot for a lot of folks. Obviously, not everyone, but for a good many.
I'd vote for Pace Park in Salado, or one of the parks on Lake Belton or Stillhouse Hollow Lake.
As to A, B, or C I'd favor having no action event, judging, or awards. Just a get together to get out the lawn chairs, visit and talk buggies.
Food? BarBQ is always good so I'm great with that, as well as just having everyone provide for themselves. A lot simpler that way. If someone wants to bring extra for sharing and sampling that would be fine too.
Just my thoughts.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 11 Sun Jun, 2006 8:34 am

I have seen just about enough of central texas this and last year
classic salado belton ennis

I say east Texas say Lufkin area or around there

all my drives have been 3 to 4 hours to meet up with buggys from texas
I would say Houston or Galveston is too far for most
yall dont have a very good track record for coming to see me LOL

so east teaxas show would be on my faves list
you just cant beet the piney woods
thay have a couple shows over in that area later in the year so maybee we could do something in conjuntion with those
just Ideas
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 11 Sun Jun, 2006 9:28 am

Steve,
What are the shows and dates that are coming up in East Texas later this year? I'm open on the site so long as it provides a shady relaxed atmosphere.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Picnic

Postby Patrick » 11 Sun Jun, 2006 5:47 pm

We can have a BBQ at our house where everyone can come down and help put Manxter 60 together.. :D :D
Patrick
Buggyholic

Places

Postby Patrick » 11 Sun Jun, 2006 6:09 pm

Patrick
Buggyholic

IDEA!

Postby Faron » 16 Fri Jun, 2006 8:55 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like most people would like to just get together and hang out. So after looking at the links that Patrick posted. I thought it might be nice to get together at a State park that allows camping. We could all gather Friday night, and then split up as we want on Sunday. From what I can see the Piney Woods area sounds great. It would be nice to see something other then the Hill Country for a change. This could be a great club event, where we could all bring our buggies. We could have games for the kids, a fun day cruise in the day, then do it again at night. Let me know what you are all think!
Thanks,
Faron
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 16 Fri Jun, 2006 2:30 pm

Faron,
I think you read the tea leaves correctly about what type event and generally where to hold it.
Let us know when you have it rolling so we can block out the date, because I sure want to be there.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 16 Fri Jun, 2006 10:32 pm

Seeing how far I am from where the event would take place, anyone want to help?
Faron
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion