ROLL BAR

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

ROLL BAR

Postby Bill K » 05 Fri Apr, 2019 12:54 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy just a regular roll bar for my Buggy?
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Re: ROLL BAR

Postby GregR » 05 Fri Apr, 2019 2:36 pm

IMO best bet for a roll bar is to find a hot rod fabricator and see if they can bend one for you. You might also try Meyers Manx, I thin they sell a roll bar (hoop only) and brackets that tie it to the torsion tube.
I might also suggest you have at least 4 points, hoop and legs to the rear. If you go with just a hoop and flip at speed it can collapse like a mouse trap.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 05 Fri Apr, 2019 9:07 pm

Thanks, Greg.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Heathwerner » 07 Sun Apr, 2019 8:45 am

Hey Bill, There are a few places such as JBugs that offer roll bars for VW beetles but they do not give dimensions on their website. You may can call or email them for the info. I would think that it would be the same for a beetle and a Manx but I honestly dont know. I have to agree with Greg that Meyers Manx may be the way to go or have one built. I found an image of the dimensions for a Meyers Manx roll bar but could not attach it, sorry. But if you Google " Meyers Manx roll bar dimensions" under images there is a diagram for one. I built mine from a roll bar that was given to me. Im not sure what it was originally for but I cut it in half, down and welded it all back together with mounting pads. It was a lot of work, it would have been much easier to buy one or have someone else build it, but what fun would that have been. I think a roll bar will look cool on your Buggy. Keep us up to date on how it goes. Good Luck!
Heath
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 07 Sun Apr, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks a bunch, Heath. I've been looking for some dimensions in the event I have one fabricated. I'll sure check out the Manx dimensions.

I looked at the Meyers Manx one, but its a bit over $500 plus shipping. And, honestly that is a bit rich for my blood. So, I'll keep exploring other options.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 07 Sun Apr, 2019 1:18 pm

Go down to Midas with a replica in PVC, ask them how thick they can bend? Go to the metal supply and get some DOM tube or some schedule 40 pipe and have them bend it. I can weld a couple plates on the bottom if you need
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion