Street legal process for a sand rail in 2016?

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Street legal process for a sand rail in 2016?

Postby Jhondoe2887 » 10 Thu Nov, 2016 1:50 pm

I have seen some rails running around my area with plates, judging by the looks and sheer number of bars I think that it is home built. So I have figured three ways to register a sandrail:
-Declare no vin or title from the DMV with bill of sales to show its not stolen.
-Buy a frame that would be street legal else where and list it as assembled.(There is a place in Kansas that makes frames for street leagal turn key sandrails.)
-fake plates and go the speed limit?(Joking)

But in all honesty, what do y'all do? I am looking for a super light frame for street use I can't come up with anything better then a sandrail or dune buggy. I have links on my laptop it's just dead at the moment.

Also slightly off topic where is the line between a dune buggy and a sand rail?

Sincerely,
John Doe
Jhondoe2887
Buggy Dude

Re: Street legal process for a sand rail in 2016?

Postby Ken » 14 Mon Nov, 2016 11:30 am

Right or wrong my street legal rail was registered 10plus years ago as a 1970 VW Bettle. The vin from a donor Bettle was physically relocated to the front beam of the rail. This has never been questioned during inspection or registeration renewal.

Do not use the term "dune buggy" when discussing registration, especially to TX DMV persons. I refrain from using it with insurance and inspection persons also.

The Txdot DMV manual specifically states "dune buggy's" are untitleable and not legal for Texas roadways.

Good luck and keep us posted on your project.
Ken
Site Admin

Re: Street legal process for a sand rail in 2016?

Postby cdmartin » 14 Mon Nov, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks Ken for keeping us straight on this. Sure saves a lot of trouble!
cdmartin
Buggy Nut

Return to General Discussion