Delete

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Delete

Postby Patrick » 22 Wed Mar, 2006 11:44 pm

Delete
Last edited by Patrick on 23 Wed Mar, 2022 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 9:02 am

Yea I looked at it....I didnt know who it was! I will read it now!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 9:08 am

Was it in the News Letter?
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 9:10 am

Yea fron page....Page 2...& Page 4!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 9:16 am

:oops: I actually sent that in some time ago...like years...The buggy has different seats, carbs and some other stuff. Still pretty cool they finally ran it though. I sent it in when they were asking for material to print in the Manx Mania....
Last edited by GregR on 23 Thu Mar, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 9:32 am

Why don't we have a cool little news letter? We could do it Quarterly as well, and rather then charging dues, charge by the newsletter per person. Just print it out on a color printer, and then go to Kinko's every now & then. Any one interested in doing this?????
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 10:34 am

I still need fresh material for the website-online newsletter. Anybody got any stories about their builds, mods or maybe a road trip?
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby carlos del carpio » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 12:59 pm

Personally, I"m glad none of my stuff is on their site... how can they use my stuff, while at the same time, asking me to PAY for a membership and a newsletter??? Not nice... but that's just me... ;-)
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 2:30 pm

Not asking for stuff for their site...asking for stuff for OUR TEXAS site.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Buggy1 » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 4:11 pm

Hold Greg,

I am working on three different stories at the same time.

Neal
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby carlos del carpio » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 9:56 pm

Oh wow! for our site! It's alllll youuuuurs, my man! Whatever you wanna! Sweeeet!
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 23 Thu Mar, 2006 10:45 pm

What can I do to help?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 24 Fri Mar, 2006 9:20 am

Man, if I could get, from any/all of you guys, some of your stories. Be it your complete build, a "fix", an "oops" or a road trip. We all have lots of stories to tell when we get together, how about sharing some of them before that. Pictures make the stories even better. We all want to see what each other is doing. Man, when I was building mine, I pretty much had me...hadn't met Neal O yet, there wasn't a Texas Manx Club and as a result, I have my windshield on backwards....see, it's all you guys fault !!!!HA-HA :lol: :lol:
Even little short stories are great, don't need novels. And if you just want to send in the info as an outline, heck, I'll write it up.....
Thanks 8-)
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby carlos del carpio » 24 Fri Mar, 2006 11:41 am

Yeah, that newsletter would be awesome, there would be categories/paragraphs about

Upcoming Events
Member's Birthdays and Anny's
Tech Tip of the Month
Buggy Member Profile
'Woops' of the Month

Sweeeeeeet!

Would the newsletter be 'electronic' and then have the members download it? That might be easier and less expensive with time and $$$....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 24 Fri Mar, 2006 12:11 pm

Got to spout here for a minute...so please bear with me.
The website that Neal O started was intended to be our form of a Newsletter...electronically, saves a lot of postage and copying, remember that dues thing that makes everybody stop "gellin like Mageallan"?
So when Neal O had to stop doing the site last fall and I took over that's what I tried to continue. Sounds like I ain't doing such a great job. Now, if you guys don't send me stuff, I can't post it. I do what I can and post what I hear about. Heck, I even raid other sites for Tech Articles! Like most of you, I have a job to support my family. The buggy is gravy.

If the current website/Newsletter ain't cuttin' it then we can do a couple of things.
1: let me know what you want to see done differently and get more participation.
2: somebody else can do it (and yes it's more work than you think). I paid for internet hosting until September of 2006. Guess the club would have to figure something out after that.
3: we can stop the website and maybe I can get most of my $125 back for the 1 year of Internet service
4: somebody else can do the print thing, hope they get input from the members, make copies and hope to mail it quarterly. By the way, who pays for stamps, paper and copies..remember that dues thing? The money we have recieved so far from our sponsors (still waiting for a couple to send checks) and eventually what we hope to get from Buggy Blast entries goes to paying for the show site, T-shirts and other stuff to get started. A portion of what's left is to be donated to the charity, what keeps us a no-profit and a portion, if there's any left, is to be seed money for other events and the next Blast and the hopefully some or all of the web host.
You guys decide and let me know. By the way it's http://www.texasmanxclub.com

Oh yeah, could use some help with something called the Buggy Blast too.
Thank you.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby David Head » 24 Fri Mar, 2006 12:50 pm

I see where Greg is coming from. That seems to be the way clubs work. A lot of people have the same interest and decide to form a club and before you know it everybody has an opinion but nobody wants to help. It doesn't take long before the person doing most of the work gets burned out and the club fails. Greg has been heading up this club for about 4 years now. And getting help is like pulling teeth. It's kind of like the old nursery rhyme about everyone wanting to eat the bread but nobody wants to plant wheat, harvest crop or bake the bread. This is not a free ride. everyone needs to help out. Greg has a full time job just like the rest of us. Running this website and club takes time and money. Just keep all of this in mine when thinking out load about changes to the club.

We decided that it would be cheaper to do an Online Newsletter. But Greg has trouble getting new info. from fellow members. I for one, think that Greg is doing a great job. I would not like to have the responsibilty to run the website and try to make everyone happy.

Just my .02 worth.

David
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 24 Fri Mar, 2006 12:58 pm

Hm...OK! If the stories and pics are sent to me, I can put it in order, logo, Table of Contents, editing, etc. and put it as a PDF file... I dunno what else to offer, perhaps if a list of duties were displayed, we can pick and choose 'em? I do like the thoughts of a newsletter, though... :oops:
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 24 Fri Mar, 2006 1:17 pm

So I'm curious. What don't you like about the way it is now? What would make it better?
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby blackthree4me » 24 Fri Mar, 2006 1:36 pm

congrats on the cover story on the MC news letter read your article then went to the trash LOL
its a waste of time and my money in my book
no due no fees no frills KISS
all I look at here is the forums from time to time the other stuff
hell I didt check my mail box for almost 6 mos
the object of the site I think is to Provide a resource and support for those in the hobby of Dune buggys and VWs of all types
and thats IT we do that now
I like it small and friendly like a club
not a superstore with adds and pshaw

Greg and everybody else who contributes there time and energy(you know who you are) good job!!!! Keep it up
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Delete

Postby Patrick » 24 Fri Mar, 2006 6:53 pm

Delete
Last edited by Patrick on 23 Wed Mar, 2022 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 24 Fri Mar, 2006 9:29 pm

Greg, the job you do is great! I know for one that I have not had the time to do the acticles that I said that I would, but that is about to change, as you know.
I think that this club should stay the same as it is and that others just don't understand what is involved in doing things. The truth of the matter is....it is winter.....it is cold......and a lot of people stay inside when that happens.
When it rains.......people stay inside........the Volkswagen and the Dune Buggy groups are basically a seasonal.......anyone who can not understand that, are just plain not thinking.
I back you and like the web site a lot. I like the forums a lot, and I like the news letter!
You personally know my situation, and have understood it. But if there is anything that I can do to help with this club effort, let me know and I will do what I can!!!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 25 Sat Mar, 2006 12:01 am

I know how hard taking care of this site is. I appreciate everything that you have done, and or are doing. You are doing a great job, and I know how hard it must be. If you ever need help with anything please feel free to ask. I will do everything I can to give a lending hand. My Cell Number is is in a private message.
I have gained a ton of knowledge from using this site, so I will be happy to pay for the next years dues. Please let me know when you will need a check to keep everything up to date!
I think the idea of a running list of things that need to be done is a great idea. (And Very reasonable if I may add!) But it is hard to get a list like this together. I will be happy to help out as much as I can! Its not right for all of us to sit around and ask you to do everything. (Myself included!)
I have put together events for MINI & sometimes I forget how things come across on a forum. I am Grateful for everything that you are doing! Please let me know what I can do to help! This is a great site, and I hope that it keeps growing strong! You are doing a great job, we all need to pitch in to help you out. Where ever you feel you need it!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 25 Sat Mar, 2006 11:55 am

Thanks Faron, I think that one thing that would be cool is if some of the guys around the State could put together a run or BBQ or something, Like the run to Arkansas that Manx34 is putting together for the weekend after the buggy blast. Not everyone can make those but someone needs to take the lead.... I'm sure as the blast gets closer there'll be jobs that we haven't thought of so stay tuned. As of this moment we seem to be doing pretty well.
Thanks
Last edited by GregR on 27 Mon Mar, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby richard king » 26 Sun Mar, 2006 3:52 am

Grege I enjoy the sight it keep me in touch with people that have the same intrest as me. I thought we had a news letter it is this forum i thank i know more what happens to yall here then i do with some people back home that are kind to me. I come in and read what yall are up to befor i read my e-mails. i thank this sight is great. I cant wate to get home i am going to try to have a run down south.THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOU DO.
richard king
Buggy Driver

Postby Buggy1 » 26 Sun Mar, 2006 8:26 pm

Greg and I both have work our tales off for the club since we first put up this site. And Greg is right just like I was right..............everyone wants to do something different but no one wants to pay or get involved.

During the first three years I work the site, it was my cost, my time, my effort, and my trying to provide all the answers toward information and stories to help the local people with the help of Greg.

You who think we should have a newsletter just look at the stories we have on the site right now, they are good and very helpful.

I know since I had to lay low ( six months ) for a while while the old chest healed, Greg has work his tale off to make this the best site there is.

I just got a call today from someone in Houston who wanted to know all the information on how to get a buggy and how to maintain a buggy. Guess what I told him, go to our club site, I directed him there, and there he would find the vendors he needed, the questions answered that he needed answered and he said that our site was the best in the country that He had found.

That speaks volumes to what Greg and I started and to the vendors that support and offer sevices here on our site. I also told him that we do not take dues and we get no money for ads in our site so we will do nothing but put people who we KNOW are good vendors, Great service, and LOTS OF HELP.

Greg, David Head, and I ( along with others ) are working so hard to make the 4th buggy blast come off with the style that we deserve in this club.

We DO NOT NEED A PRINTED NEWSLETTER, it cost money and it would only have what we have in it right now. When something works, don't fix it.

Want to Help? Take a camera shoot some pics and write a story of something you are passionate about our club or event. Send it in, we will use it.

Best part is, it does not take two years to get it in print, the news is there for you to see on our web space as soon as it comes in, NO WAITING!

There are a lot of shows out there and we will covering a bunch of them and the letter can only get better.

I for one am much better now and plan to get in there and make our club the best.........I will stand behind those who make this club and there are about 12 of you who give time, money, and effort to make it go............ I thank you from the bottom of my heart ( weak as it is ) :-)

Neal

:D
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby Faron » 26 Sun Mar, 2006 9:09 pm

WOW :( I did not know that I was touching on such a nerve. I understand that this is a great site, and I understand how much work it is to head up a group such as this. I am sorry I opened my big mouth, I did not mean to upset everyone.
My offer stands when it comes to paying for the next years website dues!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby buggyryan » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 12:06 am

i know i am a newbie, but i have to agree with hawk , this site has provided me with more info than i can currently use, and conecting with people i know i will enjoy meeting in the future events. also like patrick i think a newsletter would be a waste of time as i cant seem to read all the other mail and magazines i usually get in a months time. keep it up greg and all the guys. i am a testimony to ya'lls help and guidance.
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby carlos del carpio » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 1:10 am

so....... we will say that the website is a 'club newsletter' in progress, which is always available and always updating????
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 28 Tue Mar, 2006 9:20 am

yes Carlos, that is what we've been striving for all along. The key is participation by the members... you guys.
Any magazine, in fact any newspaper has "stringers" all over the country. That's how they get their information. Remember after Buggy Blast 2 the club was in VW Trends? They didn't have any staff member at our show. I used pictures that Patrick and I took, wrote them an article and mailed it in. A few months later it showed up in the magazine.
So, while I'm a fairly big guy, I can't be all over the country gathering info. The site depends on each of you sending in a complete article, or just pictures with captions, or even an outline of your project or cruise and I'll write it for you.....
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion