Help!

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Help!

Postby Faron » 05 Thu Feb, 2015 10:14 pm

---I know that it is hard to see from the pics, but the frame is in fact bent or tweaked. It is twisted up on the driver side about an inch, and towards the back an inch on the driver side as well. I will explain with the pics bellow.
---As much as it makes me feel goofy, this is consuming my time because I am not 100% sure what I should do.
---I am not sure if I should go ahead and straighten the Frame Head, or replace the Frame Head. I spoke with a local guy who works for a Restoration shop that says it will cost at minimum of $500. and assumes that it would be more as they charge by the hour.
---I could buy & modify an OEM Chassis, but I will have to find one that has a Swing axle with a title. In addition I would have to get the 14.5” removed. When I did this with another Bug the cost was about $1200. If memory serves me correctly.
---I could bite the bullet and have a chassis built. Not sure what that would cost me.
---I also could buy a Hawkeye Buggies Chassis from a Joe. But it has a IRS and I have everything for a Swing Axle. So this would end up costing me close to $1000 plus.
---I’m simply not sure what I should do at this point; your input is not only encouraged I will found helpful. In fact that is why I posted this here.
---Here you can see that the driver side is about 7/8th of an inch higher than the passenger.
---This is from the top. The Driver side is pushed back about an inch from the hat. You can also see that a crummy hole was cut in the top in order to run the wiring by a previous owner.
---In this pic you can see that the Frame Head has been welded on.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Re: Help!

Postby GregR » 05 Thu Feb, 2015 11:18 pm

Think the first thing I'd do is get my measures and levels and make sure it's just the frame head that isn't square.
If the PO did such a poor job putting the frame head on, what did he (she…politically correct ya know) do when they welded the pan halves together.
Is the tunnel square or is that where the twist starts that show up most in the beam?

If it's just the frame head, there should be any number of good hot rod/ VW or frame shops in the San Antonio area the could do this job for you.
One of the Air Coolers gang from that area could direct you. Don't know that you need a restoration level shop for that job. It's welding skills and knowing how to measure measure measure.
If it's only the frame head, I think I'd replace it and go from there. Heck you're almost done right? Find a shop or some one who knows what they're doing with a welder, a ruler and a level and you should make this year's Fredericksburg show.

You make good points about switching to IRS since you currently have all swing axle stuff. You could have a big garage sale of swing axle parts and at least you'd know first time out what to buy in IRS parts.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Bryan Porter » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 8:48 am

You could change irs spring plates with your swing axel plates and use your trans but if it were mine car I would change the frame head and get it done.
What front end is on the frame that Joe has.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 9:33 am

If I read this correct, you are saying that if it were yours. You would just have the Frame Head replaced, and move on? I did some more research and will be doing a little more measurements to make sure that the damage stops with just the Frame Head.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 10:35 am

That's right.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 2:30 pm

found this on the samba from a poster called Oz Towdster.
How i check when cutting a pan that every thing is straight , parallel , and diagonally square is the following .

1 . screw bolts ( M10 ) into the 2 beetle body mounting holes directly on top of the rear torsion housing at the cast ends near the spring late covers .

2. ensure with a straight edge that you have got a straight front beam ( preferbly a bare beam , ie no trailing arms fitted )and while your at it double check the rear torsion housing is straight too , yes they bend .

3. If that all checks out , grab your tape measure and hook the end of it on the bolts you fitted into the top of the rear torsion housing ( paying attention to the fact that those 2 bolts with the hex head are srewed in so that the hex on both bolts has 2 faces parallel with the torsion housing ) and pull your tape foward to the bare end of the front beam and take the measurement of the top trailing arm hole where the beam bearing and the housing meet . Now do the same on the other side and right down the measurements which should be no greater than 1mm difference .

4 . Now hook the tape on the bolts again but pull the tape diagonally over the top of the tunnel and measure to the same point on the front beam diagonally opposite , and again you'd be looking for no greater diference between the 2 measurements of 1mm mabey 2 mm .

Apart from that it's totally up to you how far out you will except , as your the one that has got to drive it and as others have said , you could be out a bit and you'd never know , but above is how i would do a set out when cutting and shuting a pan down to manx length etc
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi Bryan Poretr, cant you tell what front end is by the pitcher.
Joe
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 8:34 pm

I have not seen a picture
Talk to you soon
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 9:13 pm

Pics of Joes buggy in question.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 9:14 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bryan Porter » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 9:50 pm

Ball joint front end so your front end won't work on that frame anyway.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 10:17 pm

Today I had a guy come over to look at my Buggy. He worked on Submarines while in the Navy, and has a Fabrication shop outside his home. All that being said, I trust his opinion. He and I took measurements here & there, and then here & there again. After that we measured here, here & here. After we looked it over and he did a little thinking as well as talking we came to the conclusion that all it needs is a little shimming on the front beam rather than doing any extensive repairs. So, I will try that and then measure everything again and again. Heres to hoping that is all I need to do....
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 06 Fri Feb, 2015 10:19 pm

By the way thank you all for taking the time to give me a hand. I appreciate it
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby buggieBob » 27 Fri Feb, 2015 11:50 am

I have a chasse that is a swing axcle and ball joint front end. Call me about it if your interested my number is 361 550 5665
My name is Bobby and I'm a buggy-aholic
buggieBob
Buggy Nut

Return to General Discussion