Towing the buggy

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Towing the buggy

Postby boltman » 17 Thu Jul, 2014 11:33 pm

Hey Guys:

I am going to Boerne this year and was wondering about towing my buggy with a car cover. Do you guys tow with a cover and if so, what kind or brand do you use? I saw a thread somewhere that Rick has sold some he had custom made. Also if its threatening rain, I have dual carbs and it looks like they're in a perfect place to pick up over spray from the back tires. Any pointers to get there and not have to completely detail the buggy would be appreciated.

Have a good week!!
The Boltman
boltman
Buggy Nut

Re: Towing the buggy

Postby GregR » 18 Fri Jul, 2014 7:18 am

The covers like Rick had made, while great, really aren't made for use when towing.
When I towed with an open trailer, I used the cover I got fro Rick under either a large blue tarp or a heavier poly tarp with lots of bungee cords.
You have to watch though because if things shift, the bungee end can rub a spot in the buggy's finish (don't ask how I know that.)

I would suggest the tarp method (may not be a good idea if using a tow bar) or swinging by Big Tex Trailers or another trailer yard and seeing what they have to rent. I've seen both open equipment trailers and enclosed with "rent me" signs on them.
If you get an enclosed trailer, I'd recommend 7' x 14' minimum.

If you flat tow or open trailer, I've used gallon or 1.5 gallon hefty bags to cover the carbs. Just remember to take them off when you get there :roll:
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion