Why is it so quiet?

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Why is it so quiet?

Postby Faron » 29 Sun Jun, 2014 10:02 am

Why is it that this forum is so quiet?

I have been a member of this forum for many years and it never has been a active site. I have had 3 Buggies, and for one reason or another I have yet to complete a build. I don't keep my progress up to date with my current build because no one seems to be paying attention, and it's hard to see the point in doing so. My brother in law who lives in Nashville is building a Porsche 914, and has been a member of a 914 forum for a short period of time. He has had multiple people come over to his house in order to help him with his build. Be it with sound advice, loaning tools, telling him the best place to buy parts, paying it forward with parts, or simply rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty. Scott has been to my house once to help me out, and although we had a great time together I have not seen him since. It's my fault as I have not made the effort. (Just wanted to point out that I see I am guilty of not staying in touch as well.). Because there is a much larger following, as far as shows, as well as number of people that enjoy them. I have thought about finishing this Buggy and selling it. So that I can buy and enjoy something else, like a Rat Rod, Hot Rod, or a T-Bucket. Because I crave the community that comes with that side of the automotive hobby. Just look at what Bobby Sparkman is doing with his Rat Rod, I talk to him on Facebook from time to time. This club only try's to get together 3 times a year, and because of lack of activity, it's hard to visit this site more then once or twice a month. In return it makes it hard to bring on new members. A huge part of having a successful club is the friendship that comes with being a part of a club. I'm not trying to upset anyone. But my point is how do we as a collective group turn the inactivity around, or can it be done?

Faron
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Re: Why is it so quiet?

Postby Bryan Porter » 29 Sun Jun, 2014 2:03 pm

Maybe you should come to a get together before you judge .
We get together in our area about once a week for drinks or music and talk on the phone all the time.
Ken and I talk all the time so maybe you come and meet some of us and you could change your mind.
The big 3 get togethers are the long distance drives that take more time.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 29 Sun Jun, 2014 3:25 pm

Um, thanks for your opinion? And yes I read some of it. Good luck with your other friends. Don't worry, we'll get by without you visiting here but once a month.

See y'all at yoboys this weekend!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 29 Sun Jun, 2014 10:52 pm

Bryan Porter wrote:Maybe you should come to a get together before you judge .
We get together in our area about once a week for drinks or music and talk on the phone all the time.
Ken and I talk all the time so maybe you come and meet some of us and you could change your mind.
The big 3 get togethers are the long distance drives that take more time.

I think it's great that you guys get together once a week, that is what we all should be looking for. Like I said in my original post, the friendship is a part of the hobby. I have been to the Lone Star VW Round up, not once but twice. I looked around but had no idea who anyone was or if the people around the Buggies were their owners. The last time I waited around trying to see a framilar face, but with no success. Needless to say I was disappointed. I did however see Corey as he was loading his Buggy, and said hello. But he was loading up & headed home.

Ken wrote:Um, thanks for your opinion? And yes I read some of it. Good luck with your other friends. Don't worry, we'll get by without you visiting here but once a month.

See y'all at yoboys this weekend!

Perhaps you should read the whole post, before you fly off the handle. If you read the whole thing, I am wishing this group was a little more active on here. If you had read it you would see that I was talking about how my Brother in Law is having much success getting to know people because they are active on their forum. If a new member looks at this forum, how would they know you guys get together. Nothing is ever said to let them know of a location, much less offer a invitation. To close how does your poor attitude speak to new members, you are a moderator for crying out loud. You openly admitted to not reading my entire post and then attacked me.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 30 Mon Jun, 2014 5:36 am

I visit this site numerous times a day, I post when possible, I make it the shows I can. Dune Buggies are different than Hot Rods, VW's, Mustangs, etc. Just in the quantity alone. There is plenty of Dune buggy talk on the Samba, every day. Are you going to Big Bear Cal for the Manx get together? They are talking over 200 buggies. I dont think there are that many in the whole State of Texas.
Post your progress every day on your build. It keeps people engaged in the site. There is not a big industry in Texas for Buggies. Both companies that sponsor the site have not replied to emails, messages in a long time(are they even in business).
If you want more action POST UP.
See you at the Round Up in your buggy. Get there before Monday afternoon and you'll meet up with 25 die hard Buggy folks. Drive the Sweep vehicle.

NEVER MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 30 Mon Jun, 2014 9:42 am

My drama alarm was going crazy all last night.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby GregR » 30 Mon Jun, 2014 1:35 pm

Why is it so quiet? Good question Faron and one I've asked since Neal O and I started the club started in 2001 since. We first met, just the 2 of us once or twice a month at a local Sonic at it slowly grew. I finally accepted that not a lot of board chatter is the way this group operates. Many like to keep their projects 'close to the vest" so they can surprise their buddies at the next gathering. They'll only post when they get stuck or need advice and that's great some never post. The fact that you're keeping us up to date on your build is great, I know we all check it out to see if you're going to finish this one or not.

The fact that your brother-in-law has an active group in Nashville is great. It sounds like there are quite a few 914s in that area. That helps. There a 5-6 active buggiers in the Dallas area. We generally just call each other or pm. I could post up for help but it'd be a lot to ask someone from down south to "run over" and give me a hand. I did call Mr, Porter just before 1 Buggy Blast top see if he had a spare shifter I could borrow during the weekend and he graciously brought one he had. Since members of this club are spread all over the Great State of Texas, it makes it kind of tough to just hang out on weekends. Thats why there is the push for the 3 big statewide events.
Not sure that you are aware, but t takes a lot to plan a show (ask me, Ken or BillK.) Setting up a get together can be a real job. That's why, since the club's inception, we have encouraged members to plan a weekend run or whatever, plan it, post it up and see who is able to show up. I know for me, that my availability can change over night (contracting for the Army can do that for you.)

So that said, I agree that it'd be nice if we had a more vocally active group. We don't and thats fine. When we get together, PM or phone, we all have a great time. Will things change? Not likely. but I know that if I really need help or advice, I can get it. It may involve me making a weekend trip to the Austin area but it can be done.
I hope you can find what you're looking for since TMC apparently isn't it. By the way, the club averages 3 new members registering for the board a week and for whatever reason they register and don't post right away...and sometimes never. I have no solution for you.

Lets get back to buggies OK? Oh, yes I am the board administrator if that matters.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 30 Mon Jun, 2014 2:46 pm

Faron,
I was not going to reply to your post, but have decided to do so. I've met you only on one occasion and you seemed like a pretty nice fellow. So, what I have to say is meant in the right spirit and hopefully you will take it that way.

First, hands down this is absolutely the best bunch of folks you can ever associate with. I can tell you from personal experience they would readily meet any need you may have, and that goes way beyond Dune Buggies. And, I would readily do the same for them.

Now, I think there are a couple of issues I'd like you to consider: First, you were at the VW Classic the time we met. Yet, I understand you never went by to meet and introduce yourself to any of the Club members who were there. There well may have been a good reason for that, but I can tell you it would have been a nice thing to do and wouldn't have taken but a few minutes.

Secondly, you sort of left us high and dry with the Buggy Blast last year. You offered to take charge of the event and everyone welcomed your participation and willingness to take that on. Yes, you made motel arrangements and secured a location for the Show & Shine. But, that was it as far as looking after the other details that go into putting on a good event. You just suddenly announced you had to work that day and couldn't be there to run the show. We expected you would at least be there on Sunday, but you never came. I know work has to take priority, but it seems you could have made arrangements not to have to work since you knew this day was coming for quite some time. You could have simply asked for help and it would have been there. Needless to say, a lot of us were chagrined at the idea the Blast may not take place. Thankfully, Ken and Dave stepped in and the Blast went forward thanks to their hard work.

To my way of thinking an apology would have been a nice gesture.

This is not meant to be at all malicious, so I hope you take it in the spirit it was intended.

Perhaps you will find satisfaction with another kind of car and another group. But, I just had to let you know that for me, I wouldn't trade the people in this Club for anything. They are as good as they come.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby ckolek » 30 Mon Jun, 2014 5:34 pm

i must say without a doubt the greatest group of people that i have ever been associated with are the members here! No, i don't have a buggy anymore but i still come to this site a couple times a week just to read and keep up with friends, and no i don't post anything. i have been to many events with the buggy (when i had one)and always felt welcome, and i bet if i went now that i don't have one i would feel just as welcome. so i guess what I'm trying to say is…. get out there and meet these people, they will make you welcomed too!
ckolek
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 30 Mon Jun, 2014 10:44 pm

With this post, I only intended to ask why this forum was so quiet & if anyone thought it would change. I understand that I touched a nerve with more then a few of you for more then just the post.

Greg - Thank you for responding to my question, and I agree this is a great group of people. If I didn't feel that way I wouldn't have wrote the post asking more people to be involved on the FORUM.

Bill - Thank You for posting, and I did take your post just as you mentioned. With no malace! As far as the Buggy Blast goes, I did apologize. If you go back to the post where I said I had to bow out, I apologized twice. I will even apologize again. I truely am sorry that I had to bow out, and I know it caused problems. I had to do so in order to try any preserve my job as I was the only person in my family bringing in money at the time. I didn't show up on that Sunday, because we couldn't afford to do so as it was a choice between going to the show or being able to get to work the following week.(Gas Money) I didn't mention all my personal problems then because I didn't feel that it was appropriate. I do understand that my dropping out of the Buggy Blast was on short notice but I had to do so as I had to take care of my family. I truely am sorry, and I hope this helps.

Ken - I apologize for dropping the ball & I appreciate you picking up the pieces of the Buggy Blast.

Brian & Chris - As far as I can tell this is a great group of people.

I didn't mention that I was thinking about selling my Buggy as a threat, as I do understand just how ridiculous that is. I only mentioned it because I thought if I was feeling that way as a long term TMC forum member. How would people just thinking about or just starting to get into the Buggy Hobby feel? Would they even try to stick around with the slow forum activity?

I hope this clears up my reason for the post as I only intended to get people talking. I would say I was successful, just in a negative light. I hope we can move forward in a positive manner.

Thanks, Faron
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 01 Tue Jul, 2014 9:44 am

Faron: You are right, you certainly got the Board active. :D

You've offered an apology, the air is cleared, and now get that Buggy build ASAP so you can enjoy the great camaraderie of this Club.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 01 Tue Jul, 2014 12:39 pm

This is what happens when they let anyone use the internet.
My God, if you don't like what it is, don't hang out. SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it ain't saying much, but Bryan, Greg, Bill, Chris, Brian.... have way more patience than me, but really I don't get it.
One guy whining about how he feels and we need to convince him otherwise, really?

NEVER MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby johber41 » 01 Tue Jul, 2014 10:47 pm

Just to add my two cents....The Texas Manx Club has been a great experience for me since first getting my buggy and trying to wake the thing up after 30 years of storage. I read many of the "builds" before ever making contact with the club and found them to be informative and very generous with technical information. I too wish that I could do more with the club and meet at all the gatherings, but the reality is that family and work sometimes just have to come first. I have been able to fill some of time I miss with the TMC by enjoying a local VW club. In fact, many of the guys at the local club support the TMC and several of these members were in fact active with the TMC group in the past. Many of you guys have been helpful with your experience and technical knowledge and every local Houston car show I attend, I try to recruit the buggy owners for the TMC. I hope to see you guys at the Round-up and the wife and I are planning to arrive one day earlier this year so we can experience the Meet and Greet and get a better look at the town. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff and the TMC has been nothing but a positive experience for me. See you guys soon. Get out and drive those buggies!
Attachments
Out for a Drive 2014.JPG
Out for a Drive 2014.JPG (84.27 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 05 Sat Jul, 2014 1:14 pm

Nice! and well put sir.. I back these guys 100%.

btw.. that's a really good photo of a buggy dude giving a thumbs up!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 15 Tue Jul, 2014 3:36 pm

My $0.02. Is the forum quiet? Yes, I think it probably is. But I think that is a result of everyone having their buggy done. I posted the pshaw out of my build, probably to the point of being annoying to folks, but that was how I got the feedback I needed as I was building.

I don't think we have a lot of people building right now, and therefore not as much posting. I think things are a little different now, instead of posting up the build I think people like to show up with unannounced projects, thats kind of fun. That being said, my buggy is currently in pieces undergoing another transformation, and I'm not posting up this one.

I think the community is great, soon after I jumped in, I had two buggys show up at my house one weekend to see how I was coming along. Bryan helped me put my motor back together after I blew it up for the second time, Billy helped me put together my interior, Bill took me under his wing one whole Fredricksburg as i didn't have a running buggy yet, but I still wanted to hang with the group.

Unfortunately for me, most of our gatherings happen on holiday weekends and my family is at a point where they would rather go to the lake in my other black fiberglass toy, so I don't get to see everyone as often right now, but I hope that will change again in the future once the kids move on. My oldest has a vw now, he brought his to the Dubsplash with me and the buggy, that was fun, the wife tagged along and actually admitted it would be fun to get an old beetle convertible, so maybe things are changing.

I just took a noobie under my wing, trying to get his new buggy project kicked off, hope to get him on this board eventually. Maybe things will pick up
CoryN
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion