General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Postby jandegaff » 29 Tue Oct, 2013 9:29 pm

I am a new member and a recent buggy owner. A long time friend in Indiana built this rail in 1980 using a 1974 1600 engine drove it for 20 years then parked it in his garage from 2001 to 2012. When I began to inquire about what he was going to do with it he said that I could have it. Well it was swell but also a $3500 gift. That is what I presently have in it ,and as I am certain all would agree, I have not begun to see the end of what I want to do to this buggy. LOL. The two photos I have loaded may give youall some idea of where I came from and how far I have to go. By the way, the rear tires are original to the buggy. They have been on since at least 2001, if not longer, and since they were garage kept they still look good. I towed it 1300 miles from Indiana to Houston plus have put on over 3000 miles since then driving in the Clear Lake Area where we live. I am looking forward to getting together with others to share the fun of buggy ownership. This is not a totally new experience for my wife and I as we belong to a jetski club called Bay Area Personal Watercraft Assn. We have 80+ members and go on 10-12 organized jetski trips every season. Our trips vary in length from 60 miles to 300+ miles over 3-4 days. YeeHaa!
Well I have tried to load the photos but they are too big. Rats. I will just have to think of something else. Will be getting back.
jandegaff
Buggy Dude

Re: new member

Postby johber41 » 29 Tue Oct, 2013 9:56 pm

Welcome aboard Jandegaff, there are few of us around the Houston area and I also live in the Clear Lake area. Bring your buggy up to the Kemah Home Depot on Saturday night (weather permitting) over on FM 2094 and you will see my buggy parked over with the air-cooled guys (mostly Vdubs) and they are a great bunch. You will also find out that the people attached to this club are the very best and between the Texas Manx Club and the Bay Area VW Club, you will have great support and an endless knowledge base to help you through your technical difficulties. I also occasionally meet a group of car enthusiasts, when I can, at the Loews in Pearland on 518 and Pearland Parkway on Friday nights. Hope to see you there, just look for the VW group. You will find that even the hot-rod guys love the dune buggies. You will really enjoy the Manx Club meets when you get a chance. The wife and I had our first meet with the club at the Buggy Round-up this past August in Boerne and we had a great time!

John
Last edited by johber41 on 29 Tue Oct, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 29 Tue Oct, 2013 10:01 pm

For submitting your pics, I find it easiest to skew the photos down by opening them in PAINT and then re-saving them at about a 25 percent value. The site will allow three postings per email.

Hope that helps...would love to see a pic of your ride.
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 07 Thu Nov, 2013 9:40 pm

Welcome aboard. We are glad to have you and look forward to meeting you at one of our gatherings.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 08 Fri Nov, 2013 1:28 pm

Put your pictures on a free photo hosting site.... a very popular one is photobucket.com. Then copy the url for your picture you want to share and paste it into your post here. Or use the IMG tag to embed the picture in the post.

And welcome to the club.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion