Interested in Buggies

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Interested in Buggies

Postby TxSkybolt » 07 Mon Jan, 2013 3:07 pm

Hey Guys and gals,
I have recently become interested in fiberglass bodied dune buggies. Although admittedly I've never even driven one, they look like great fun. Ideally would like to get a good buggy for daily driving (when it's not too cold). Not looking for a show car as I'd never want to drive it for fear of messing it up.

I expect as in most things, one is money ahead purchasing a buggy someone else has built as opposed to doing one yourself?

Any buggy folks in San Antonio? I live in Universal City.

Would swap you a ride in my acro biplane for a ride in your buggy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvTuh5UQWA4

Best regards,

Brad
TxSkybolt
Buggy Builder

Re: Interested in Buggies

Postby Bill K » 07 Mon Jan, 2013 8:01 pm

You're on the right track: Driving a Dune Buggy is more fun than you can imagine. We'll do what we can to help you find one.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 08 Tue Jan, 2013 11:50 am

If I was closer to you, I'd take you up on the offer, but I'm on the north end of the state.
Always wanted to try the aerobatic thing.
I used to judge R/C airplane aerobatic competitions...but still nothing like the real thing.
If no one has taken you up on the offer, fly up to Fredericksburg for the VW Classic mid-April. (19th I think)
Bet you can get lots of rides then! The show is held at Lady Bird Johnson Park which backs up to Fredericksburg's airport.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby TxSkybolt » 02 Sat Feb, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks to Dan Dirks for letting me drive his wife's buggy....hooked!
TxSkybolt
Buggy Builder

Postby Bill K » 03 Sun Feb, 2013 8:43 pm

Way to go, Danny. :D :D
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby ScottR » 04 Mon Mar, 2013 12:58 am

TxSkybolt, I am in San Antonio, near Universal City. If you need anything, let me know. I would have let you drive my buggy but my windshield and turn signals have been giving me fits. Now I just have to reinstall my windshield and I will be on the road again.
ScottR
Buggy Nut

Postby TxSkybolt » 05 Tue Mar, 2013 5:52 pm

Scott,

I'd like to get together sometime and take a look at your buggy.

best regards,

Brad
TxSkybolt
Buggy Builder

Postby Nozzleman » 14 Sun Jul, 2013 3:28 pm

TxSkybolt,

I'm new to the forumand just caught your post...I live in UC also and my shop is in Schertz where I keep my buggy. It will be going through a body off resto when the weather cools a bit. Drop me a note and I would be happy to show it to you or bug into my resto to see if you want to step into building one!!

I'm an aircraft fan as well so we would have plenty to talk about I'm sure
Nozzleman
Buggy Dude

Postby edhx » 07 Mon Oct, 2013 2:10 pm

I am interested in buggies - saw a lot of nice ones at the Buggy Blast in Burnet (helped at the airport) - and have noticed there seems to be a real shortage of buggies for sale in Texas :( . I'm looking but all the ones that get my attention are out of state requiring substantial money to transport plus restricting the possibility of test driving. Also have the toss up of buying already built or building myself - know which end of wrench to grab (on my good days) but not a real whizz at mechanicaning. Also never owned VW nor driven buggy. If you wanted to try a "Route 66" trip or something like it - would a buggy be doable or a real pain? I noticed that several people trailer their buggy to an event then drive it a short distance then trailer it back home. Any reflections on a full size buggy (Allison?) vs. the shortened buggies - seems the longer wheelbase would be a better ride if not going off road too much. Thanks for ideas. :? Ed
edhx
Buggy Dude

Postby Bill K » 07 Mon Oct, 2013 2:50 pm

First, while there is a great deal of satisfaction in building your own Buggy, if you can find one built that you like you will save money and time.

While most of us trailer our Buggies to events, it's mostly a time and convenience thing. A properly built Buggy should hae a very good distance range. One of our members, Joe, has driven his from Texas to Colorado and back.

As to long vs short: It's all a matter of taste. Folks with kids generally prefer the long so they can have them ride with them. While I have nothing against long Buggies, and there are some nice ones out there, for me personally I want to own a short Buggy.

Good luck with acquiring a Buggy.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby ScottR » 07 Mon Oct, 2013 4:53 pm

I concur with Bill. You have to go check out personally what you want, because it is all a personal decision.

I am going to Colorado to go look at a buggy and buy it, (if everything is as it seems) tomorrow, for a friend.

Go to the shows and get togethers we have and pick and choose what you like and don't like in your buggy.

Good luck and happy trails.
ScottR
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 07 Mon Oct, 2013 8:39 pm

Where are you located Ed? You might enlist the help of one of us to weed out bad candidates that don't meet your capabilities with a wrench. You never know there might be someone ready to start a new project buggy and need the room in the garage.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby boltman » 09 Wed Oct, 2013 10:14 pm

Hey Guys:

Didn't Rick have one for sale on the Samba recently?
boltman
Buggy Nut

Postby edhx » 09 Wed Oct, 2013 10:53 pm

I live in Burnet, about 50 mi NW of Austin, 15 N of Marble Falls. Think you had a Buggy Blast here 2011? 2012? Several came out to the airport and visited the Commemorative Air Force hangar and got pix with our C-47 Bluebonnet Belle. If any is nearby I could con out of a drive in one I would really appreciate it - buy a lunch at Bluebonnet Cafe? ;-)
edhx
Buggy Dude

Postby Bill K » 10 Thu Oct, 2013 9:50 am

We did have the Blast in Burnet year before last. We were in Marble Falls for the Blast this year. You are nearby, some of our gatherings, so I sure hope you find a Buggy so you will be able to join us. You'll will really like the folks in this group, they are all 5 Star kind of people.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby ScottR » 10 Thu Oct, 2013 3:19 pm

Well the trip to Colorado to look at, drive, and buy, a buggy for a friend was a disappointed trip. The buggy was nothing like the seller said. Here are some of the lies: No holes in the body, pan is in great shape, runs great, etc... Except for the exhaust pipes, the engine was covered in dirt from oil leaks, the rearend was making some warbling noises... Needless to say I can go on and on. The new paint job was like putting lipstick on a pig. (why lie?)

So, with that off my chest...now its time to build one from the start, for my friend. Any suggestions on a rolling chassis but not a tube chassis?
ScottR
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 10 Thu Oct, 2013 5:28 pm

Acme(the new Berrian) has a long body now available. No cutting the pan just plop it on a standard VW pan and go. $2500.00
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 10 Thu Oct, 2013 5:45 pm

Scott, you are not the first I've heard of that got their time wasted by a gross misrepresentatin of a vehicle they were selling. I just don't understand what purpose is served by doing that to people.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Patrick » 11 Fri Oct, 2013 12:20 am

DELETE
Patrick
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion