New Guy

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

New Guy

Postby FatDaddy » 18 Wed Apr, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey y'all
I just recently picked up a manx style buggy on a 64 chasis (i think) and am in the process of having it worked on by a great bunch of folks.
I don't have any pics at the moment (computer crash) but will get some up soon. I have owned a couple vw's over the years and due to a recent motorcycle accident i now own this buggy. I am looking forward to meeting all of you as well as picking your thoughts in the near future.
see ya around
I'm Batman!
FatDaddy
Buggy Dude

Re: New Guy

Postby CoryN » 18 Wed Apr, 2012 6:13 pm

Welcome. Glad you found us

Cory
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 18 Wed Apr, 2012 9:14 pm

X2, Welcome. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your buggy.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 18 Wed Apr, 2012 9:55 pm

Welcome aboard. We're glad to have you join us. You'll find this to be a great group of folks and rest assured everyone here will help you in anyway they can to get you on your way to enjoying the pure pleasure of owning and driving a Dune Buggy.

Hope we get to meet you soon.

And yes, pictures are a necessity :) :)
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby FatDaddy » 20 Fri Apr, 2012 10:15 pm

Cory thanx for pointing me here. thanx for the welcome y'all i hope to see ya soon
I'm Batman!
FatDaddy
Buggy Dude

Postby FatDaddy » 17 Thu May, 2012 12:50 pm

ok so I can't seem to catch a break, i've gone through three frames so far and nothing seems to want to work out. I did find out that and IRS rear will not work due to my body being molded for swing only. but now finding a frame is proving difficult. One day i promise i will put pics up here whether it be running or on the back of someones trailer...
I'm Batman!
FatDaddy
Buggy Dude

Postby GregR » 17 Thu May, 2012 1:15 pm

Huh? What kind of body do you have. If it's a tub buggy, it shouldn't matter if you're using swing or IRS.
Some early bodies have wells molded for battery and spare tire that may interfere with teh IRS trailing arms, but that's an easy fix. One way is to shorten the molded wells by 2"-3" (easy 'glas work) or another way is to use a body lift kit. Basically all that is, is a perimiter piece that goes all the way around made of 2x3 channel or composite or.....?
You may be better off than you think.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby BrianB » 17 Thu May, 2012 5:14 pm

Some times the IRS pivots hit the bottom underneath the seat area. You have to dimple the glass or cut it out.Welcome aboard.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby FatDaddy » 17 Thu May, 2012 7:10 pm

it is a tub with the spots for battery and spare. i thought of lifting but i have a bum leg. i thought of cutting but where would i relocate battery? that and i'm not so great with fiberglass. One idea i had was to get rid of most of the rear IRS and somehow incorporate a monoshock setup but not real sure how that would work out much less mount.
I'm Batman!
FatDaddy
Buggy Dude

Postby GregR » 17 Thu May, 2012 9:16 pm

If the body is off the chassis, it's not hard to flip it over and remove a section or all of the tire and battery wells. That's what I did with mine.
As far as the battery, I use a slim Odyssey battery (there are cheaper alternatives) mounted to the under side of the rear seat area.
Buggies don't use a lot of power. Some guys use small lawn mower batteries.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby FatDaddy » 23 Wed May, 2012 2:58 pm

ok found a frame that ain't rusted now running into wheel issues...the wide 5's that were on it were widened and were busted so now either need to find a widened wide 5 or baja wheels or old chevy wheels, i have some new chevy wheels but my adapters are 5 on 4 and 1/2 and i need 4 1/4...man this thing is nickle and diming me to death...good part is by the time its done it will be practically new
I'm Batman!
FatDaddy
Buggy Dude

Postby Bill K » 23 Wed May, 2012 5:21 pm

The Club's general advise is: Burn the receipts, Don't leave a paper trail for the wife. :D :D
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby ET Manx » 23 Wed May, 2012 5:23 pm

Welcome, FatDaddy! Sorry about your motorcycle crash. I'm a motorcycle rider too! Glad you have found another hobby that's just as exciting as motorcycling! :lol: Cars & deer still don't see you so you still have to be careful. :roll:

Hope you get your buggy finished soon. Looking forward to seeing it!

Georganne
ET Manx
Buggy Nut

Location: Lindale, in the beautiful rolling hills of East Texas

Postby staggerwing » 28 Mon May, 2012 2:20 pm

Okay sir, time to post up some photos! Welcome aboard!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby FatDaddy » 28 Mon May, 2012 9:11 pm

sorry guys still no photos but i will take some in the next week or so...paper trail..? I've never heard of this paper trail! I'm on a very short leash budget wise now after she saw me bring home some shiny stuff to powder coat, oh and the dual carbs...lol
I'm Batman!
FatDaddy
Buggy Dude

Postby eegreen » 05 Tue Jun, 2012 7:31 pm

Hey, fellow newbie here. Welcome to the club! Yeah, I wish I could forget about my list. Lol! Seems like a money pit at times but, is all worth it once you get that first drive under your belt....or so I'm told. Lol! I'm afraid to say what's been spent on mine. Good hobbies that last usually aren't cheap. I need $800 and about a week alone with mine and it will be done. If there was a wall to hit with anything I did, I hit it. Tried to get people involved I thought knew what they were doing. Was wrong there for sure. I saw a post on here somewhere that said something about you being able to screw it up as well as the guy you're paying. I know this first hand. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty or ask someone who's been there. Has been a real educating experience for me and my girlfriend. Am sure all will be worth it once that last wrench gets put away and the cruising begins! I got to drive mine about 120 miles before starting my restoration. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel! Can't tell you all the places I've been in that thing while never leaving my garage. Lol!! Hang in there, Eric.
eegreen
Buggy Dude

Postby eegreen » 05 Tue Jun, 2012 7:40 pm

See there. Two of the same posts! Lol! Proves I'm new here. Only a newbie could do that. lol!
eegreen
Buggy Dude

Return to General Discussion