New on here

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

New on here

Postby will » 20 Tue Mar, 2012 9:39 am

Just found this board yesterday. I'll be going up to East TX to pick up a buggy I bought. My son's friend has had a run of heart problems, and decided to let his buggy go. I had my son pick it up last week, and will head up Thursday to tow it back Saturday. From what I know, it is a Manx body on a 65 Beetle chassis. Motor and transaxle have been rebuilt, and disc brakes all around. Needs a paint job.

It is currently sporting an Antique plate. I would prefer to have it inspected, and go with regular plates. I plan to use it on the beach on Mustang Island and maybe PINS. Gotta put some rod holders on the front bumper.

Here is the issue....no emergency brake. Only a valve to lock all four disc brakes. It is my understanding this will not make it on inspection. Any tips on my best options to add an emergency brake?

will
Buggy Builder

Re: New on here

Postby CoryN » 20 Tue Mar, 2012 10:12 am

Welcome!

Looks like a great buggy to start a project with. From that picture I'm not sure its a Manx(not that it makes any difference), fenders look a little different.

I agree, I don't think a line lock will pass inspection, but then again I have seen many that only have a line lock so maybe I'm wrong. Does it still have the handbrake handle and tubes in the pan? If so you will just need to get rear brake calipers that are e-brake compatible and some cables.

Cory
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 20 Tue Mar, 2012 11:45 am

Looks like a nice start. Not a Manx but does not matter. Just means you get into a buggy for a lower cost. If you know the right people anything will pass inspection ;-) Welcome aboard
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 21 Wed Mar, 2012 1:15 pm

That's the nice thing about Antique tags: No inspection. 8-) 8-)
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Jack Duncan » 21 Wed Mar, 2012 8:24 pm

Another nice thing. Good for five years, and costs $60.00. Why would you want the alternative?
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby will » 22 Thu Mar, 2012 8:54 am

Jack Duncan wrote:Another nice thing. Good for five years, and costs $60.00. Why would you want the alternative?

I'm a little concerned about using it as a beach buggy and daily driver with the Antique tags due to the restrictions. Of course, I'll always be going to put it on "exhibition" somewhere! I'll have to think about this one. I think I can get an inspection sticker tomorrow.

Took it for a spin last night. Hmmmm, warm weather vehicle I do believe. I see some things I will definitely be changing. Large hole where the clutch/brake pedals are. Gotta do stainless bolts and screws. It's gonna be a booger to paint too. Got oil on both rear rotors. I'm thinking axle seals. My son thought it was the calipers. I was planning to tow with a tow bar, but with the axle leaking, I'm thinking a tow dolly instead.

Thanks for the feedback. I need all the advice I can get. I've always done my own vehicle work, but never had a VW before. Looks like "German" to me. :mrgreen:
'
will
Buggy Builder

Postby Jack Duncan » 23 Fri Mar, 2012 8:55 pm

So, did you get it inspected today? :?:
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby will » 25 Sun Mar, 2012 8:10 am

Jack Duncan wrote:So, did you get it inspected today? :?:

Didn't get it. Ended up having to put new seals in both rear axles. Then, Friday night, we boiled 3 big bags of mud bugs, and 12 lbs of shrimp...along with taters, corn, onions, and mushrooms. Lots of adult beverages to wash it down. Saturday AM, I had to wire up lights for towing, and then a 7 hour drive back to Rockport. Just ran out of time. I'll go ahead and keep it registered as an antique til I'm told to do different.

I got the chance to visit with the guy we bought the buggy from, and discussed the rear axle seals. The mechanic he used for the axles has worked on VWs for years, but did not torque the axle nuts to spec. He merely snugged them up, and inserted the cotter pin.

I can say one thing.....that baby tows like a dream. First time I had ever towed a vehicle. Pulls so much better than our 12K lb fifth wheel. The Duramax didn't even know it was back there. :)
will
Buggy Builder

Return to General Discussion