More questions???

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

More questions???

Postby Faron » 30 Mon Jan, 2012 1:02 am

I see most of you are using 14", 15", or 16" wheels, and I am thinking about going a different direction. It is a case of "personal taste" but I am going ask, is a 18" wheel in the back going to look funny with a 16" wheel in the front? I want to get opinions, to see if I am crazy.
Am I correct in going with 0 offset on a Buggy?
How wide of wheels are you using? I want to make sure that I dont go to wide or narrow in the front or back.
I am pretty sure I know what I want to use, but what are you all using when it comes to gauges?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Re: More questions???

Postby GregR » 30 Mon Jan, 2012 9:53 am

Like you said, it's a matter of personal taste and this is your buggy. IMO 18's are kind of big for a buggy and give an "urban" look if you will...but that's just me and I've been wrong plenty in my time. I also like to see those who push the envelope succeed.

You really should measure you offset or backset. I have 15x8 with 3 3/4 backset on mine (here's the build thread, scroll to the bottom for a pic from the rear http://www.texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2504 My left rear rubs just a bit but am adjusting that out. Other considerations you should make are if it's an IRS rear, you are limited in tire diameter (32" I think) My 275x60x15 are 28 1/2 tall and are about all the trans can handle for highway speeds. Tire diameter greatly effects the overall gearing.

As far as gauges, I use VDO Cockpit series fuel, volts, oil pressure, a stock VW speedo.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 30 Mon Jan, 2012 10:46 am

I am worried about the wheels, as for me, they are a very important part of any car. So I will keep thinking..... Thanks for your input, that is what I am looking for.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 30 Mon Jan, 2012 12:51 pm

I want to say the buggy that Dave Barrett built that exec from VW had larger than normal rears on it, but I''m not finding it right now.

I have Shark (Dolphin) gauges and senders on mine, the H20 gauge is still in the box... I'm running 15s front and back.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 30 Mon Jan, 2012 10:42 pm

I ordered a bunch of stuff!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 30 Mon Jan, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm running 15's rear and 14's front and that was for a look I wanted to achieve. Which, as Greg said is a very individual thing. I guess I'm showing my age, but 18's just seem a bit out of proportion for a Buggy. But, that's me: It's your money and your Buggy so it should reflect the look you want.

I'm running Doiphin gauges and highly recommend them.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Jack Duncan » 31 Tue Jan, 2012 10:04 am

I have 295x50x15's on the back and that's very near that original diameter of the Bug. Although it's slightly larger, I do have a 1915cc engine. It handles the extra diameter exceptionally well.
I have VDO gauges, including the speedometer.
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion