Got new brakes!

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Got new brakes!

Postby GregR » 30 Mon Jan, 2006 10:01 am

Put disc brakes on all 4 corners this past weekend. Drives great. Stops better. I went down to Hawkeye's to put them on since I have NO ROOM in my garage (all the stuff left from my dad's house is now in my garage...) Anyway, I have to say thanks to all the guys that showed up to help. What a great club we have here, a real group effort. There was Neil, David Head, JohnnyB, JD, Russell Christian and Jane came out to help as well. We made a mess in HAwkeye's shop and had a great time getting our "work on the buggy fix"
Thanks guys. Now if I'd just remembered the camera :oops: Hey I am oover 50 OK! Good thing NEil had his. When I get the shots, I'll try to put an article together...if I remember what we did. :lol:
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby carlos del carpio » 30 Mon Jan, 2006 11:58 am

Wow~! That's better than a Nascar Pit Crew!!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 12 Wed Apr, 2006 1:09 pm

just updated the article on our website with pictures and also have some in the Club Gallery

http://www.texasmanxclub.com/Article_DiscBrakes.htm

http://www.texasmanxclub.net/gallery2/v/gregr_manx/brakes/

:D
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby blackthree4me » 12 Wed Apr, 2006 7:44 pm

I like em too
I got them on the fronts only back still to come

just read the article
man Im sick
all I wanted to do was get in there and wipe the fluid from the floor

I tell what would be sweet is when we are at the blast Im gonna get my camera and you head straight at me then lockem up ill get the pick all four tires SMOKEN! just kiden. can you say flat spot?
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 12 Wed Apr, 2006 9:24 pm

WOW! Thanks! I am going to buy a kit to put disks on the front, and then I will put Drums on he back. I may change them out later, but for now....I am working on a budget and would like to see this thing on the street before I loose interest! Thank you! For the information, and the photos. It helps a lot!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby buggyryan » 13 Thu Apr, 2006 7:51 pm

which kit did you use? i have been told you could use a karmen ghia front spindles and the rest of the stuff from the ghia and it all bolts on. i would think this would be cheaper and still original vw stuff. otherwise i will end up doing like faron and doing one end at a time.
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 13 Thu Apr, 2006 8:47 pm

I went through Hawkeye. The fronts are all VW. The rear has VW rotors, it's just the calipers that are different. :D
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby carlos del carpio » 13 Thu Apr, 2006 11:15 pm

depends where you shop... best price is david 'o.... sometimes the stock stuff is more $$$ than complete aftermarket... since it's "VW"....

also, did you need a proportioning valve for the brakes setup? How did you get the right ratio??
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion