Beach Find

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Beach Find

Postby jpbaird » 12 Mon Sep, 2016 9:48 pm

Some know I have been looking for a winter project and found one that I wanted while enjoying the recent and epic Roundup 10. Buggy is Manx type 1 survivor car with original but a bit tired "golden orange" gelcoat. Registered #230 '69 body on '67 pan; very honest two owner car from Cape Cod MA and looking forward to adding another member to family.

Excited about that, but kicker is on way out of town for work got call on cell from Winnie Meyers. Prior owner call to update registery, so she phoned to get info between scheduled Manx events. Wow.

Will post pics when I see it in person later in week. So it begins.
jpbaird
Buggy Nut

Re: Beach Find

Postby jpbaird » 15 Thu Sep, 2016 7:49 pm

Buggy has landed! Calling her "Rat Fink" for obvious reasons. Per Manx serial plate, car number #2772, produced March, 1969, color "golden orange".

A bit rougher than I thought (hoped), but still planning to save original gelcoat but will determine later. Photos are better than reality. Hood is the worst from the 45 years of beach sun i.e. pitted, faded, oxidized, etc. If it doesn't buff up could maybe lightly spray to match.

Type 3 motor was installed when it was born (and is very tired) but going to swap for Type 1 1776 or so. Wheels and tires are good; fairly new Mickey Thompson on Centerline with skinny wheels up front.

At least something won't require work. ;-)

More to follow as time and funds permit! Regards.
Last edited by jpbaird on 16 Fri Dec, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jpbaird
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 17 Sat Sep, 2016 8:15 am

That looks awesome Jeff. Congratulations. Can't wait to see the progress.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby boltman » 17 Sat Sep, 2016 11:44 pm

Really Nice Jeff!! Keep us posted!
boltman
Buggy Nut

Postby admin » 18 Sun Sep, 2016 5:07 pm

Awesome find Jeff! Keep us posted on the build. Just wondering, is your serial number actually longer that 2772?
Thanks,
Admin
admin
Site Admin

Postby jpbaird » 18 Sun Sep, 2016 6:31 pm

Yes, those are just the first 4 after the "M". I understand the other numbers represent production month, year and color code.

Here is link to decode including all the colors in production.
http://manxclub.yuku.com/topic/408/Deciphering-a-Meyers-Manx-serial-number
jpbaird
Buggy Nut

Postby jpbaird » 23 Fri Sep, 2016 4:02 pm

Rat Fink is progressing...

Current State: Considerable rot was found in the square tube of the frame rails so being fabricated as well as floor pans replaced. Many mechanical elements also being replaced (bushings on all corners, master cylinder, stainless brake lines, brake pads etc.).

Also some tunnel damage around the e-brake repaired prior badly and patching need to make it structural.

Body is off and taken to boat restorer today to try to get it sanded and buffed as much as possible. See results below.

This is going to be good!!!!!!

Still looks old and lots of patina while have just enough bling. Turnaround on body is a couple weeks.

Before:

After - hood is the worst; small sample but plenty to get excited about!:

Future: When that is done minor chassis paint and application of bed liner on the new pans. Deposit down on 1776 motor which is ready and sitting waiting to be dropped in to provide the power.

Still some decisions to make on the seats (whatever Paula wants!), upholstery, bars/color, fuel hatch, exhaust and others... will be looking for thoughts and opinions on those soon...

Regards.
Last edited by jpbaird on 13 Tue Dec, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpbaird
Buggy Nut

Postby staggerwing » 23 Fri Sep, 2016 4:52 pm

Oooo baby, that's gonna look nice! Drooling in Sequin...
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 23 Fri Sep, 2016 7:00 pm

Nice project, Jeff. Can't wait to see progress pictures and then see it in the flesh. Congrats.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby jpbaird » 30 Fri Sep, 2016 3:38 pm

Wet sand and buff complete with good results thanks to Johnson's Fiberglass Boat Repair in Burleson, TX. John and crew do some good work - knowledgable and very careful at every step. There is some silver and cloudiness on the hood from the worst sun and elements that wore down past the gelcoat into the flake. Fun fact: Unlike current plastic metallic flakes the vintage flake starts as silver metal and then colored with paint. Silver show where the flakes in the resin have worn down past the gold coating... But it is only original once!

Like most things will add character in the end.

Image[ImageImage

Original rusty MM steel roll bar and bumper taken for gloss black powder coat as well. Hoping the original black will pop with the orange flake. Option to go with new stainless/chrome parts from the Manx Store and can do that someday, but decided to restore original parts and keep with the car regardless.

Going to look for a nice looking fuel hatch today and would appreciate any suggestions. Limitation is that the existing hole in the hood (exposing the gas cap below) is rather large at 5 inches. Prior door is a white/silver C2 Corvette door with flag badges and recognizable as such. Thinking stainless or perhaps black to go with the theme. Need some help on that please!
jpbaird
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 30 Fri Sep, 2016 7:11 pm

Looking great Jeff.

jpbaird wrote:Going to look for a nice looking fuel hatch today and would appreciate any suggestions. Limitation is that the existing hole in the hood (exposing the gas cap below) is rather large at 5 inches. Prior door is a white/silver C2 Corvette door with flag badges and recognizable as such. Thinking stainless or perhaps black to go with the theme. Need some help on that please!

I got excited when I read this. I've been meaning to post these up for a while now. At the 2015 Blast, I was intrigued at the variety of fuel caps on our buggy's, so I started snapping pictures. I have been planning to post them up and play a little game and see if anyone wanted to try and guess whose is whose. Just needed some motivation... Thanks.

Fuel Cap Thread
Ken
Site Admin

Postby johber41 » 02 Sun Oct, 2016 8:21 pm

That Type 3 should bring you some coin....the guys with the square back wagons need them....I did pretty good with the one I cleaned up. Nice find!
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 02 Sun Oct, 2016 8:31 pm

Hey John, did you get your shifter adjusted?
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 09 Sun Oct, 2016 5:21 am

Hey Bill....tried moving it around and retightening, still have a problem with the reverse lock-out failing when I am trying to go to 2nd gear....I start in 2nd due to an old original problem with the shifter popping out in 1st. I had some luck when I moved it to 2nd gear and then pushed the base as far over to the passenger side as is possible and then tightening. Works OK for a bit but then I start losing the feel for 2nd again and have to hunt around for it. I might try a different shifter before I am finally forced to take the trans out and get it rebuilt. I have been on borrowed time with the trans since I got the car in 2009.
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 13 Tue Dec, 2016 7:10 am

What's the latest Jeff?
You driving this yet?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby jpbaird » 13 Tue Dec, 2016 2:18 pm

Ken, thanks for the poke, I have been meaning to get organized and post some photos...

Rat Fink (buggy #2) came home with new motor this week, so cool to hear it come to life!

Fink running under own power with a aux gas can on floor. Flip cap finally sorted and looks good. Took couple tries to get it right. Had to create the platform for the stainless cap unit and cover with stainless sheet, to fill the hole that was already in the hood. Also relocation of the filler neck to that spot.

Other work prior too numerous to mention but includes new side rails and pans, heavy spray liner, powder coated rusty bits under the hood, bumper, roll bar, etc. New stainless lines, master cylinder, suspension bushing, etc.

Rusty caps and lug nuts on existing wheels replaced with bullet style. Doesn't jump out at you but I think it looks tidy. New PRP seats/sliders. Overall almost a ground-up preservation (so says my wallet).

New power coming from 1776 dp with dual EMPI (of course) 40s. Exhaust EMPI sidewinder style is not quiet, but tolerable given a fiberglass insert.

Will be ready to go to Billy in a few weeks or so for back upholstery.

Going to do some cosmetic stuff and then back to Doug's for final button up, hook up tank, bumper, etc.

Here are a few build pics -

http://s741.photobucket.com/user/jpbaird01/slideshow/69%20Manx%20-%20Rat%20Fink/Rat%20Fink%20-%20December%202016
-Jeff
jpbaird
Buggy Nut

Postby staggerwing » 17 Sat Dec, 2016 2:21 pm

Dang!
Ahem, you may want to consider some kind of anti-theft for those front (VERY COOL) running lights.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby ScottR » 19 Mon Dec, 2016 9:51 pm

Very cool Jeff. Great find and great job so far. Can't wait to see it in person.
ScottR
Buggy Nut

Postby jpbaird » 20 Tue Dec, 2016 12:49 am

Thanks guys. Starting to see it on the road. Have necessary papers... need time and some nice days!

-Jeff
jpbaird
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 22 Sun Jan, 2017 11:54 pm

Nice work, Jeff.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Tappa » 09 Mon Oct, 2017 7:12 am

Looks like a great project and it is turning out beautifully. Love the fuel filler.

thanks for sharing the project

Tappa
Tappa
Buggy Nut

Return to Member's Projects