Murzi's World Famous Build

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Murzi's World Famous Build

Postby admin » 19 Fri Nov, 2010 6:34 pm

admin note* Since this article was written, Murzi has traded the buggy for a '62 Beetle 'vert. Well at least he can get some sun and fresh air!

My purpose in building this buggy was to create a fast, clean, driver that was reliable. I did not want the look of J C Whitney “add on's” or an extreme paint job. Rather I wanted a simplistic clean buggy. I focused on the smallest details to make it nice. The result is a car that has to be studied to see all the details. It is not about shock and awe, but rather clean and simple. If you have seen the car and missed the details, I did my job.
The engine has made it the most enjoyable. A 2276 with a mild cam is a torque monster. The result is a car that will accelerate like a jet, idle like stock and cruise at 55-70mph all day long--quietly. The gearing coupled to the BIG mild engine is a winning combo.
1973 VW pan
Cut 14 ¾ “-- used a tongue method to connect the two halves Chassis side rails constructed of 1x2 box tubing Floor is sheet metal, Lowered beam with all new components, Brakes were converted to early five lug drums, Master cylinder uses a Volvo 240 reservoir, Polished brake lines, All new Brake components, hoses, All new bolts throughout , Solid welded tranny mounts Custom shortened clutch cable
Interior
PRP suspension seats with Fiero sliders Carpet from Lowes, with a binding sewed on Gauges are Autometer Ultralites Early: 66-down pedal cluster Stock shifter cut down 5 inches and a quick shift kit installed Roll cage bent up by Hawkeye---I then chopped it down lower—powder coated silver Retractable shoulder harness seat belts Honda S2000 push button starter button—night illuminated
Electrical
Custom built fuse box that houses fuses and relays Hidden switches for lights, hazards, wipers etc---no dash switches All wires have been identified by writing the circuit name on the wire every 18 inches with a fine point sharpie All wires heat shrinked Molded headlamp pigtails for the brake light switches---to look factory Hood, gauges, and turn signal hooked up with quick disconnect plugs for easy removal 67 wiper motor New alternator and auto stick starter Lawnmower UL1 battery—for light weight Stainless braided battery cables
Body
New 2005 Berrien Body Custom chopped windshield---3 inches Hidden mounting bolts for windshield Aircraft fuel fill Custom smaller headlamps with led’s in the buckets for high beam indicators Custom “burnout windshield washer pump” aimed at rear tires that is connected to what used to be my high beam switch----67 turn signal assembly---FUN, FUN
Engine
2276 stroker W120 cam 40x 35.5 heads 44mm Weber’s CSP stainless steel bell crank linkage Custom exhaust that uses a Suzuki Hayabusa silencer---quiet!!! Electronic ignition Taylor 10mm wires

Tranny
1976 Single side cover tranny with 3.88 gear Kennedy stage one clutch Daiken disc

admin
Site Admin

Return to Member's Projects