Bill K's Yellow Buggy

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Bill K's Yellow Buggy

Postby admin » 19 Fri Nov, 2010 5:57 pm

Bill K’s yellow Berrien Buggy, in his own words…
I’ve had a love affair with dune buggies dating back to the seventies. Since that time I’ve owned four buggies, including the one I just completed. It is the first buggy I built myself. One thing I can say, every time I sold one of my buggies I got a case of “seller’s remorse”, and soon started a search for another buggy. There is just something about these fantastic little cars that is addicting.

What started to be a simple body swap quickly evolved into a full-blown ground-up buggy build. Since this was going to be the case, I determined early that I would do my best to build a good quality car with the look and stance I wanted. My taste called for a simple, uncluttered look with a low front / wide-tire stance. The most pleasurable use of my buggies has been cruising scenic country roads and running errands in town. Therefore, I also decided I wanted a completed-car look, thus the fully upholstered interior.

The outer frame was constructed of box tubing and new, shortened pans were added. Once the chassis was ready, the body was mounted, and I felt like a milestone had been reached. The wiring I accomplished with a lot of help from my friends. I also made all the interior upholstery panels and did the installation myself.
I used a stock 1600 dual port engine because reliability is a big issue with me. I want to have the confidence that my car will bring me home each time I take a trip, and be able to enjoy driving the car rather than constantly having to tinker with the engine. That’s just me.

Things I learned: Starting with a new body is a good thing. Try to start with a good chassis, or get one built. Don’t shorten pans, use flat metal instead --- life will be a lot simpler. Don’t try to match paint --- can’t be done. Get the under-dash wiring done before installing the hood. Making upholstery panels for a dune buggy is a LOT of work. Prepare to overrun your budget. Have a wife-appeasement plan in place because of the time and money spent. It’s all worth it.

The Details:
New Berrien Nostalgia body w/ Berrien bubble side pods
6” headlamps ,
Chevy taillights,
’63 VW chassis,
’65 transaxle,
1600 dual port engine,
new shortened pans,
new adjustable front end,
new fuel tank,
new tie rods, shocks, steering box, and brakes,
windshield by Dino’s Bug Shields,
Dolphin gauges,
seats: ’95 Pontiac Sunfire
Wheels: Rear – 15” x 10” chrome steel slotted spoke Front – 14” x 8” chrome steel slotted spoke
Tires: Rear – P295/50/15”
Front –P215/60/14”
Time: 1 year of every spare minute

admin
Site Admin

Return to Member's Projects