Murz's baja

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Murz's baja

Postby MURZ » 28 Mon Jun, 2010 9:16 pm

Ok, I know it is not a buggy....yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Picked this up..68 baja California car..no rust. The paint was beat, and the motor did not want to run. I hauled it home, stuck my engine in it and started buffing it out. The paint looked good in places, but not good enough. So, I buffed it with the sander :lol: The plans are to tuck some 275/60's under the rear fenders, run 165's up front with weld wheels. the paint will be the new FJ Cruiser VOODOO blue. Researching sliding ragtops as well. I am gonna sticky a wicked nasty 2276 (185hp)in the rear and add discs up front. The interior will sport narrow :roll: suspension seats and Autometer gauges like I had on the old buggy. I hope to have it finished for October. And just think how close it will be from being a buggy one day....hmmmm

after some Duragloss loving

filled mirror hole

test look on weld wheels...

Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Re: Murz's baja

Postby BrianB » 29 Tue Jun, 2010 5:40 am

Looking good Murz 8-) So when you are ready to build another Buggy you just remove that body and put a Long bodied Manx on it? The Round Up is coming soon hint,hint.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 29 Tue Jun, 2010 7:35 am

Looking good man! :lol:
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 30 Wed Jun, 2010 10:13 am

Where/How do you guys find this stuff?! You just see something sitting in a driveway and walk up to the door and knock? Anyway, I like it! Always wanted one, never got one, maybe some day.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 01 Thu Jul, 2010 11:24 pm

Whats going on with this?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 13 Tue Jul, 2010 10:07 pm

OK heres the bar
we have looked at this one as a standard to build to
although I have heard its cost was well into 6 figures

http://p197.ezboard.com/fazbusasfrm32.s ... D=69.topic
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 16 Fri Jul, 2010 11:41 pm

blackthree4me wrote:OK heres the bar
we have looked at this one as a standard to build to
although I have heard its cost was well into 6 figures

http://p197.ezboard.com/fazbusasfrm32.s ... D=69.topic

Pffft.....

Ok here is an update.

Picked up new front fenders and cap to save some body work time.......

Got my chevy drums in and test fitted a 295/50-15 on the rear. The offset was good(4.5") but the tire is too short and sticks out too much. If the car were lowered and I was running a shorter tire up front maybe... I think I am gonna run a 255/70 or a 275/60 to give me some height and freeway gearing. On the front I have ordered chevy drilled discs and will run 165's. Hopefully just the tires will give it some rake. I want to be able to run this thing at 75mph all day long. The 2276 will be up to the task..

The big update is the roof......I have none!!!

Madisonville La

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 17 Sat Jul, 2010 7:42 am

That Ragtop looks great Murz. What brand did you end up with? What you goin to do with the 295's?
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 28 Wed Jul, 2010 11:11 am

I bought a "brand new second hand" street beat customs ragtop. The 295's were junk...dry rotted. Bought some 275/60-15's yesterday.....

more updates...

A little more sanding. Test fitted the new baja kit. It still needs tons of adjustment to be perfect, but I slotted the mounting holes for adjustment. .....And I have fallen in love with this formula 27 filler. It sets up quick and can be sanded in less than 25 minutes. It sands sooooo nice too. NICE!!! ( just don't wait too long)

Think I am going to use those plastic baja headlight buckets and plastic H4 headlamps for reduced weight on the front fenders.

And the little engine that could is safe and being loved just down the street. ....which means...EXTRA FUNDAGE!!!

Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 28 Wed Jul, 2010 11:08 pm

Looking Good, still shooting for a October finish?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 29 Thu Jul, 2010 9:49 pm

Yes, I pushing for October 3rd which is the first day of Cruisin the Coast in Biloxi. The bodywork is about 95% done. I just need about one more "full day" to wrap it up. On a side note I have been getting estimates of 1500-2000 bucks :shock: :shock: just to spray the car......just tack rag, and spray the car!!!! I flat out told one dude today that although I admire his talent he is on CRACK if he thinks I will pay anyone 650/hr to spray a VW. I guess I will just backyard this baby. What happened to the 300-500 dollar "I'll spray it for you days"????
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 10 Tue Aug, 2010 9:01 am

Good for you Murz. I hope your comment spreads. Seems there's a lot of eye-poking going on these days!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 12 Thu Aug, 2010 11:00 pm

Tuesday, i found a guy that will spray it for 250. He is a professional painter that will do it for cash(I guess non crack smoker :lol: :lol: :lol: ) Also ordered my autometer gauges. Gonna use indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes and have a binding sewed on it for a clean look. Still shooting for October 3rd as the deadline......

mounted tires and rims...15x5 165's and 15x8's with 275/60's

Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 13 Fri Aug, 2010 9:16 am

Looking good Murz. Does that sliding rag sit flush on top? It looks like it is not all the way down. I guess you are waiting on paint before you finish the install 8-)
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 16 Mon Aug, 2010 11:38 am

Brian, the top needs some loving to be made to lay flat. Some suggest that I install it under the roof for a cleaner look, but I am really afraid that the metal to fiberglass bond will crack over time. The plan is to build up the edges of the frame with glass(only need about 1/8" on each corner) and trim it to fit the contours of the roof perfectly. The pics make it look bad, but it is really close when you push the frame down. I will then paint the frame black and glue it in from the top. Will it look factory??? Nope, but I wont have cracking issues.
Hopefully this will be a really fun car that I can knock around in. I also am planning a homebrewed AC system, sourcing components from a smaller compact car. The evaporator will reside in the rear package tray area and hide under speaker grilles. Clean........Simple....Hidden

So, imagine this. 170-180hp 2276 with tall gearing, AC, one piece windows, ragtop, disc brakes, killer stereo and all for about 4-5k??? I will take it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who knows, the lil red vert may be put up for adoption....... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Started laying out the carpet....15 bucks from Home depot!!! Plan is to bind it with some marine vinyl or similar for a finished look. Just like on the Red Baron...

Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 18 Wed Aug, 2010 1:07 pm

Who knows, the lil red vert may be put up for adoption.......

Im looking for another KID !!!!!

looking great man you always do super work

Im interested in the Oct 3 run any info would be nice.
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby 10ovr » 18 Wed Aug, 2010 5:38 pm

Look-en good MURZ,,I traded my painter, a paint job for a place to stay till he finds a house,,, ( just moved to AZ from Chicago ),,,,Hell,I have not been in that back room of the house for years,,Good deal for me,He said he would take care of all my paint needs for FREE for helping him out,,
10ovr

Postby MURZ » 19 Thu Aug, 2010 4:31 pm

blackthree4me wrote:
Who knows, the lil red vert may be put up for adoption.......

Im looking for another KID !!!!!

looking great man you always do super work

Im interested in the Oct 3 run any info would be nice.

Cruisin the coast always attracts thousands of Street Rods, classics, and just plain nice cars. It is the "STURGIS" of street rodding. We usually go down there the last Saturday of the week and hang out from early AM to Early AM...... Bring chairs and sit on the side of the highway and watch the cars go past. Burnouts are a bonus!!! It starts on October 3rd and ends the 10th. You Houston guys are only 6 hours away!!..Well maybe 7??
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 19 Thu Aug, 2010 8:01 pm

Cruise the coast, Sounds like fun, When and where?????
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 20 Fri Aug, 2010 12:40 am

Everything you wanted to know about it. http://www.cruisinthecoast.com/ The problem is I guarantee that all gulf coast hotels are booked by now. I would bet that hotels in Slidell, La or the Mandeville/Covington areas will have rooms and are only about 1 hour away from the action.
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 23 Mon Aug, 2010 5:09 pm

Going to paint shop on Monday if I can finish up the prep......

gonna be this color.... VOODOO BLUE
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 23 Mon Aug, 2010 5:37 pm

very cool... Is she gonna have a name?
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 23 Mon Aug, 2010 9:35 pm

Bule Balls! What the heck I named my Red Tacoma Aunt Flow. HaHaHa
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 24 Tue Aug, 2010 7:35 pm

She already does "Girlfriend". And soon as she is finished I am going to bring my girlfriend everywhere, ride her with the top down, and spend bunches of money on her. Everyone needs a girlfriend to occupy their time. She is also the same age as me!!!!!
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 24 Tue Aug, 2010 11:08 pm

Great idea! I may have to snag the whole idea if I ever get to build a Dune Buggy!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 25 Wed Aug, 2010 7:03 am

MURZ wrote:She is also the same age as me!!!!!

don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as they've had enough "work" done to keep there bodies in shape... so, maybe we should start calling you Doc Murz?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby MURZ » 30 Mon Aug, 2010 12:33 pm

Decided to go with the cloth binding on the carpet as it sews easier and it is available is precut rolls.

got my gauges in and originally wanted to use a aluminum dash....but after looking at it decided to just cut out the dash and weld in a flat piece of metal. The new aluminum dash cost will be filed under "engineering costs" :lol: :lol: The stereo will be my Iphone connected to an adapter with remote rotary control which again will be hidden.

In the process, the 68, key in column, got swapped for a 67 column which is much cleaner. I had to fab a little bracket to make this work and while I was at it I dropped the column about an inch or two for a better driving position. This turnsignal switch (highbeam clicker) also allows the hookup of the famous windshield washer "burnout pump". :lol: :lol:

I am going to use the same idea from my buggy with the hidden switches for lights, wipers, etc and they will now reside in the fuse box hole. The fuse box will be now under the hood tucked away in its own little box, again like my old buggy. Sanitary..... Like Bill K would say "clean and simple" That's how we like 'em!!!

And now I remember why I hate bodywork.......TIME EATER!!!!!!!
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 30 Mon Aug, 2010 11:59 pm

Looks great!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby 10ovr » 07 Tue Sep, 2010 12:56 pm

So is she painted yet ????
10ovr

Postby MURZ » 07 Tue Sep, 2010 7:04 pm

No...not painted. I backed off the deadline. I had too many things that needed to be fine tuned. My hope now is the end of this month.

more pics....

fuel pump cubby

running board delete trim

hidden switches....

Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 19 Sun Sep, 2010 4:49 pm

looking great
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 07 Thu Oct, 2010 10:03 pm

getting closer...... prime, block, prime, block,prime, block........guide coat...almost done and ready for color!!! I just want to test fit my one piece windows before I paint.

When you use an early glove box door on a late dash, you have to do some mods and some times the mods come out better than expected. My buddies, Garry and Austin whipped this out for me...license and registration pocket
And I think I will surprise you guys on the color.........
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 07 Thu Oct, 2010 11:02 pm

Looking Great! I for one look forward to seeing a little color!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 11 Mon Oct, 2010 9:09 pm

Dropping it off to get painted on FRIDAY!!! WOOO HOOO!!! :D :D :D
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby 10ovr » 11 Mon Oct, 2010 9:14 pm

MURZ wrote:Dropping it off to get painted on FRIDAY!!! WOOO HOOO!!! :D :D :D

PIX,,Can,t wait to see FJ blue on your car,,,,,
10ovr

Postby MURZ » 11 Mon Oct, 2010 10:44 pm

Tim, I changed my mind about the color......after 96 documented hours of block sanding this puppy(turd) :roll: :roll: to mirror straight, I am going show that labor off with right from the paint rack BLACK, BLACK, BLACK!!!!!

With the weld wheels, chromed engine, ultra light silver gauges, gray tweed interior, and the black canvas roof it should look wicked!!!!! that does leave me with a gallon of FJ BLUE though.... :D :D :D
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby 10ovr » 12 Tue Oct, 2010 6:15 am

Murzi,,You do know Black is the biggest pain in the ass color there is,,,No dout it well look great,But you well be cleaning it every hour LOL
10ovr

Postby blackthree4me » 12 Tue Oct, 2010 5:26 pm

MURZ wrote:Tim, I changed my mind about the color......after 96 documented hours of block sanding this puppy(turd) :roll: :roll: to mirror straight, I am going show that labor off with right from the paint rack BLACK, BLACK, BLACK!!!!!

With the weld wheels, chromed engine, ultra light silver gauges, gray tweed interior, and the black canvas roof it should look wicked!!!!! that does leave me with a gallon of FJ BLUE though.... :D :D :D

NOW YOU TALKIN :D
I knew I liked you Murzi that baby is gonna feel the shine ! :mrgreen:
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 12 Tue Oct, 2010 10:42 pm

Maybe I will paint the front beam red :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Then I will have to change my name to Blackbaja4me :lol: :lol:
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 15 Fri Oct, 2010 6:09 pm

Delivered....any day now......

Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 16 Sat Oct, 2010 1:11 am

AWESOME! Really looking forward to seeing this thing all painted up.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 19 Tue Oct, 2010 12:09 pm

Going to look awesome Mike!

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 19 Tue Oct, 2010 11:04 pm

Well, where is it?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 27 Wed Oct, 2010 6:16 pm

Here it is!!! They paint today and I am in TEMPLE TX!!!! UGGGGGHHHHH!!! I guess I will see it Friday!!

Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 27 Wed Oct, 2010 6:57 pm

Man thats nice Mike! Wow great color choice and wheels

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 27 Wed Oct, 2010 8:34 pm

Looken good! I bet you cant wait to see it!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 08 Mon Nov, 2010 8:45 pm

Few update pics........

LEDS where the ashtray was. Welded and filled!!!

3/8 flare nut works great for VW speedo cable to aftermarket speedo ..in stock at Lowes, about 2 bucks
Last edited by MURZ on 22 Mon Nov, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 08 Mon Nov, 2010 9:18 pm

Very nice Mike!

Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 09 Tue Nov, 2010 8:06 am

Dang, You've been putting in some work there! Looks awesome dude! Keep the updates coming..
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 22 Mon Nov, 2010 10:16 pm

Ok, some more pics of progress.............

had to fix the clutch tube....

3 3/8 hole saw hole...imagine that I had that size?? :lol: fitted a patch the right size

welded in a little brace.....

filled

Now for some carpet. A trip to Lowes for some Marine carpet. I then ordered cotton binding off the internet. 100ft for 20 bucks. So the total job? about 50 bucks. The flash shows a difference in dye lot between rolls, but in the sunshine it looks great!!!!

Headliner is next and it will be done in gray tweed. The seats will be RACETRIM buckets in gray vinyl with a gray tweed insert.

More to come in the next month!!!
Madisonville La

MURZ
Buggyholic

Next

Return to Member's Projects